Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cute, but no. The finish products are marketed to consumers not as "preserve your new car shine," but as improvements, for instance:

http://www.carid.com/universal-detailing/mothers-california-gold-products-1642290.html

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+waxing/car+waxes+and+sealants/best+of+show+wax.do

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18211-ultimate-wax-paste/

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2..._Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=8

etc.

The purpose of a paint finish is to preserve the car's clear coat. It's an easily replaceable sacrificial layer. But, it's come to mean improving the paint's gloss and "depth." I find it interesting that according to CR, they don't significantly enhance, so the most they can do is protect. And yes, I don't trust CR to be truly critical. CR doesn't look at things the way experts in the relevant fields do. That applies to their tool reviews, their cooking item reviews, their car reviews, and I'll bet their paint finish reviews. CR helps people who don't really know what's going on avoid bad things, not get the best.

So now that the CR review of the Tesla S has come out, do you still have the same opinion about them?

I've now had Glare on my car for about a month. Last week I used a Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher to buff in another layer. The Cyclo Pro has two heads that spin in opposite directions. I used foam pads to buff in the Glare and then a large microfiber towel to polish it all. The Cyclo Pro makes for very fast work -- I did the car in less than an hour. The shine is phenomenal -- it makes a stunning appearance, especially on the multicoat red. And it's certainly better then the state of the finish when the car was delivered. I'm sold on Glare, especially because I didn't even know the brand existed when I began the tests. Had it not been suggested by another owner it would not have even been in my test group.

Pics?

Would you recommend the Cyclo to novices?

Definitely. It's expensive but very easy to use. Like any machine of this kind you have to use it with care. The Model 5-Pro has a speed adjustment which makes it almost impossible to "burn" the surface. I've used Porter-Cable polishers before (I still have one) but the Cyclo is much easier to use. All of the other polishers have a single large orbital head. The Cyclo has two smaller orbital heads, moving in opposite directions, which makes it easier to handle and far less likely that it will get out of control.

If you want to invest in this kind of high quality polisher, I think the Cyclo is a very good way to start. Cyclo sells a wide variety of attachments for almost any circumstance, for example, eliminating the dreaded spider patterns and polishing the surface to a very high state (microfiber bonnets for this).

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I also highly recommend Majestic Solutions Ultra Gloss car wash. The stuff foams up like none I've very used before and leaves a fabulous finish.

Wax has to be removed before applying Glare. Wax is not needed on top of Glare when you are done. It will not improve the finish, it will actually look less glossy.
My poorly controlled experiment:

Last week, I applied Glare to my other car--first working it into the paint, and then another coat applied, dried, and buffed off (as per the instructions). The result was a nice shine, but not a great look of depth.

Today, I applied Glare to my Tesla--just the first step, working it into the paint. Then I did what Glare says not to: I applied wax over it (Pinnacle Liquid Souveran). To me, it looks better, with more of a depth and wet look. The reflection is brighter but slightly distorted, I assume because the surface isn't perfectly flat (I suspect the wax coat is thicker than a Glare coat), but I prefer it.

(Sorry, no pictures--it's an ugly day here.)

To all you with Glare experience: I just bought a lot of it (on super-sale for less than $2 per bottle). I will try now on my current cars. They are 1 and 3 years old and on them I will use the Micro-finish before applying two layers of the Glare Polish (1st layer with machine, second hand buffing).

Now the question: When I get my Model S I will treat it with Glare right away. Should I do one round of the Micro-Finish before the Polish, or skip it? And if I should do the Micro-Finish, should I do it by hand (milder) or by machine (a bit more aggressive I guess)???

Just a few words about the Cyclo--

If you're looking for an all around polisher, this is probably not what you want to own as a single polisher. If you're into buffing your car to a deep shine with Glare (not really a big fan of Glare) or other finishing products, then the Cyclo will do your job really well. It has some potential to correct paint as well. Plus, you'll spend around $300 for this. (I'm sure you can get it for a cheaper price out there.) One model has a single speed, and another model has variable speeds.

However, if you're looking for a polisher that can correct paint and be used as something to buff your car to a deep shine, then get a dual action orbital polisher like the Porter Cable, Griot's Garage or Meguiar's polisher. Probably the most popular is the PC. You'll spend around $150 and get a safe entry-level polisher that can correct paint and buff as well with a lot of options for 6 inch, 5 inch, 3 inch, etc. backing plates and variable pad sizes and shapes. If you want to step it up, you can get the Flex polisher or the Rupes polisher. These will be more expensive than the Cyclo and others -- about $350 -- but they are very versatile. They're very good for quick and significant paint correction, if that's your thing.

Personally, I'd go with the Flex polisher.

So I ordered the Cyclo yesterday before seeing your post. The Cyclo pro 5 is a dual orbital, is it not? If you would expand on why you think the Cyclo isn't as good of a choice as the polishers you mentioned I'd appreciate it. It sounds like perhaps the cyclo can't use smaller pads?

A

So I ordered the Cyclo yesterday before seeing your post. The Cyclo pro 5 is a dual orbital, is it not? If you would expand on why you think the Cyclo isn't as good of a choice as the polishers you mentioned I'd appreciate it. It sounds like perhaps the cyclo can't use smaller pads?

A

Well, don't get me wrong: the Cyclo is fine. The Cyclo 5 is even better because it has variable speeds. Your pad size is limited because of the dual heads.

I have to ask for your definition of "polish." Technically, polishing involves the use of micro abrasives to alter the surface by removing below surface defects in the clear coat or base paint. Buffing may use very light abrasives but typically doesn't do anything other than apply something to the surface.

The learning curve for the cyclo is very easy. It's hard to damage anything. It has dual heads, but isn't dual action. Dual action polishers rotate the pad as well as move them in a freely rotating fashion. Hard to burn the paint. If your goal is to wash, clay, and apply Glare or wax or sealant, then the cyclo will be perfect.

If you're thinking about removing oxidation, water spots, swirls, spider webs, holograms as well as applying waxes or sealants, consider one of those dual action pushers.

Of course, everything should be taken with a grain of salt. I have skills. Artsci has Mad Skillzzz. So, FWIW.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience or an opinion about the buffer that is sold by Glare. It is relatively inexpensive and is battery driven and batteries seem like a good idea in may applications, [like a Tesla] but I can't find any reviews on the buffer. Thanks.

sms

Does anyone have experience or an opinion about the buffer that is sold by Glare. It is relatively inexpensive and is battery driven and batteries seem like a good idea in may applications, [like a Tesla] but I can't find any reviews on the buffer. Thanks.

I have not used the machine; however, I have seen the promotional ads for the Mother's "Wax Attack" which appears to be the same unit. From what I can tell it could maybe be useful for applying wax and that's about it. I'm not sure you would save any time or have any better experience over simply applying the wax by hand though. It certainly wouldn't be powerful enough to remove scratches or swirl marks... Also, the price they are trying to sell it for is outrageous considering you can get a significantly higher quality unit for much less elsewhere.

In fact, after looking through all the buffers sold on the Glare website I would not advise buying any of them (at least not from Glare). For example, their "GLARE DA Pro Polisher" is literally the exact same model sold at Harbor Freight which is available for ~$60 (vs ~$190 @ Glare). If you plan on purchasing a machine polisher to take care of your vehicle I would suggest going with something with variable speed, removable backing plates (to change pad sizes), and "dual-action" free spinning movement. This is the safest kind of tool to use on your new Tesla as you can control the speed of the machine and the free spinning assembly will prevent burning through the paint as it will stop rotating when too much pressure is applied. Various Mfg's produce quality DA style polishers (Porter Cable, Griots Garage, Meguiar's, Shurhold, Harbor Freight) that are all available for less than the battery operated version available from Glare.

What my detailer says...

No plans to do that and as I've trashed the test panels couldn't anyway.

As for the Glare... I have a hard time believing any 'protection' product that calls itself a 'polish' as those are two very very different things.

The Modesta products are very nice and I can apply them. However, they do require a full day's work to apply, which, when combined with their extreme pricing, would cost you $900. Modesta advertises 3-10 years durability. I would only believe the 10 year durability if the car was not being driven over those ten years. Modesta's coatings are also measured at a 9h hardness with a thickness of about 3-5 microns.

Polishangel Cosmic measures in at an extreme 10-14 microns. Advertised durability is 18-24 months which to me seems slightly conservative. I can apply Cosmic (along with the Invincible coating primer) for $500 or the Color-Matched Cosmic for $650.

Due to the extra thickness & Color-Matching system, I would put a slight gloss advantage to Cosmic. For longer durability though, Modesta P-01A Primer & BC-05 would have the advantage. With each application I do include coatings for the exterior glass, trim & wheels. Interior coatings are extra.

I looked over the spreadsheet on the Tesla link you sent me, none of those products would even compare to the protection capabilities of Cosmic or Modesta. The only two that would come close would be Cquartz or 22ple, both of which I do like and are closely related to the Gtechniq C1. The others are old technology that I do not use.

Another coating that I will have in my hands soon for testing is Max Protect UNC-R:
http://youtu.be/W068xTlDvLs

I have not decided what I will use, but thought I would post this for others to consider and provide input.

I've now had Glare on my car for about a month. Last week I used a Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher to buff in another layer. The Cyclo Pro has two heads that spin in opposite directions. I used foam pads to buff in the Glare and then a large microfiber towel to polish it all. The Cyclo Pro makes for very fast work -- I did the car in less than an hour. The shine is phenomenal -- it makes a stunning appearance, especially on the multicoat red. And it's certainly better then the state of the finish when the car was delivered. I'm sold on Glare, especially because I didn't even know the brand existed when I began the tests. Had it not been suggested by another owner it would not have even been in my test group.
Apologies if this is slightly off topic but having read the results of your tests I decided to cancel the purchase of Klasse high gloss sealant and invest in Glare products.
I live in the UK and contacted the official UK distributor firstly for technical advice and secondly to purchase the products. I wanted to know whether having applied Glare I would in future be able to spray in panels over the product if 'my wife' damaged the car i.e. whether if the product makes such an incredible bond with the surface of the car body repair shops would need a special product to remove Glare prior to paint repair.
Anyway the UK distributor knew even less about the product than I did, says they have stopped stocking Glare and didn't know if there was any retailer in the UK or Ireland that still sold it. He said the products were good but that he was never overly impressed - it was just another polish! Having sat up to 2pm last night watching promotional videos related to their products I am slightly disenchanted. This is no way to run a distribution network - especially if the products are as good as the promotional videos and assuggested in your test!
Can anyone tell me where to buy this stuff - I am looking for a range of Glaze products and Amazon USA will not send these products to the UK! The postage would probably have been prohibitive anyway.
I have an Audi A5 cabriolet just coming out of warranty which is in almost pristine condition - the car and I deserve a break!
Many thanks in anticipation,
TheMac