Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car cutting power in middle of high speed turn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced the car cutting power in the middle of a high speed (75mph or so) sweeping turn? It almost feels like the car is turning off power to the front outer wheel in the middle of a turn. I was able to replicate this repeatedly during my 3 hour drive today. I wasn’t pushing the turns that hard. It should’ve handled the turn with ease.

The only possible thing i can think of is the front tire having slightly less tread than the back since i had to replace the back tires a few months ago. I have an 18’ M3P.

I generally feel that power is cut directly related to how much the front wheels are turned. It's almost as if it was preemptive stability control, before you even put power down. Might just be that we have a lot of torque and wheels slip easily... traction and stability control are strong on our cars, they leave no room for fun.
Since you have a 'P, you could enter track mode and reduce assists to see how it behaves then. Just be careful.

Has anyone experienced the car cutting power in the middle of a high speed (75mph or so) sweeping turn? It almost feels like the car is turning off power to the front outer wheel in the middle of a turn. I was able to replicate this repeatedly during my 3 hour drive today. I wasn’t pushing the turns that hard. It should’ve handled the turn with ease.

The only possible thing i can think of is the front tire having slightly less tread than the back since i had to replace the back tires a few months ago. I have an 18’ M3P.
We're you in track mode?
If not, it likely was stability control kicking in. It doesn't take much.

I recently discovered that my stability control seems to kick in earlier than it used to when outside of track mode. I used to be able to take this sweeping curve at around 58mph, with the tires squealing before the Nannie’s stepped in. Now, it’s more like 53-54mph if I am not in track mode.

Also check the ABS/ wheel sensor wire on the front wheels. It can make contact with the tire, especially if you have suspension work or different size wheels/tires installed. I was instructing at LR last week for 3 days and on the third day my drivers side ABS wire eventually made enough contact with the tire to fray and the car fell out of track mode right as I was entering the uphill with a 991 GT3 right on my butt ( but no catching me :) ). The car immediately cut power and went into preservation mode! Quite the experience especially if you know LR and the uphill section, very high speed with zero room for errors. I repaired the wire at the track and made sure they were positioned further away from the tire and all was fine after that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood