Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car heating up when parked upwards of 90 degrees farenheit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this too last week on my wife's 3 as her black/black sits in the open air during the day.
got up to as high as 104 last week on a 55 degree day.

We have 35% Llumar Pinnacle tint all around with a windshield sunshade & no tint on the roof & rear window - last week.
We tinted the roof & rear window this weekend & it appears to have help some as current interior temp near noon in Sunny 41* is 72*.

Will monitor this event....

App currently shows my interior at 89f. It's overcast and ~35f outside. Doesn't seem right to me.

I'd agree, that's weird. Here's what mine looks like over the past ~two hours sitting in the sun. It's just a little over 40 degrees F here. For the sake of debugging, this is on 2019.5.15, and sentry mode is currently on (climate is off; I believe overheat protection is on)

upload_2019-4-1_12-9-20.png

I'd agree, that's weird. Here's what mine looks like over the past ~two hours sitting in the sun. It's just a little over 40 degrees F here. For the sake of debugging, this is on 2019.5.15, and sentry mode is currently on (climate is off; I believe overheat protection is on)

View attachment 392474

15 minutes later, and its up to 91f. The sun broke through the clouds for a bit, but its still way higher then it should be. I'll have to check to see if I have overheat protection on. I think I had it set to 'fan only' but its been a while since I looked.

I do also have sentry on and the app shows that climate is turned off. I'm not seeing battery drain anywhere near the level I would expect if the climate was running all the time, so I do wonder if its a case of it cycling on and off periodically for some reason.

still haven't seen anything here that makes me think it's something outside of normal greenhouse effect. I picked up my car this time last year and also witnessed huge temperature deltas between outside ambient and cabin. It gets more pronounced once ambient temps are above 40F.

Last friday I parked outside but stayed in the car. It was 50F outside. Within 2 minutes, it was uncomfortably hot inside. No HVAC needed to generate that heat.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and VQTRVA
It’s 42 out and my car is nearly 100. Since
still haven't seen anything here that makes me think it's something outside of normal greenhouse effect. I picked up my car this time last year and also witnessed huge temperature deltas between outside ambient and cabin. It gets more pronounced once ambient temps are above 40F.

Last friday I parked outside but stayed in the car. It was 50F outside. Within 2 minutes, it was uncomfortably hot inside. No HVAC needed to generate that heat.
to quote Tesla support “I reviewed the diagnosis performed by both the Service Center as well as our Advanced Vehicle Support team. Both parties determined that the commands were indeed coming from the mobile app.”

It is 42 outside right now and my car is reading Nell’s temperature of 96.

Small update:

Two hours after I parked, and the temperature jumped up by 5 degrees almost instantly:

upload_2019-4-1_13-7-55.png

I could see how that behavior, combined with greenhouse effect over the course of a 6-8 hours could get the temperature significantly higher than you'd expect from ambient...

still haven't seen anything here that makes me think it's something outside of normal greenhouse effect.

I think it's most likely a bug of some sort, plus typical heating from solar energy coming through. Without this sort of continuous tracking, it's hard to determine which.

Someone else having this problem, try setting an alarm for 2 hours after you parked and watching the app to see if you see the same behavior? I'll watch the app at 2:42 to see if I can see anything happen in the app.

Interestingly, that graph is supposed show show fan speed (if it's set), so the fact that it's not showing it means that the API is not registering that the fan is running. Not sure where the temperature increase is coming from.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Small update:

Two hours after I parked, and the temperature jumped up by 5 degrees almost instantly:

View attachment 392485

I could see how that behavior, combined with greenhouse effect over the course of a 6-8 hours could get the temperature significantly higher than you'd expect from ambient...

I think it's most likely a bug of some sort, plus typical heating from solar energy coming through. Without this sort of continuous tracking, it's hard to determine which.

Someone else having this problem, try setting an alarm for 2 hours after you parked and watching the app to see if you see the same behavior? I'll watch the app at 2:42 to see if I can see anything happen in the app.

Interestingly, that graph is supposed show show fan speed (if it's set), so the fact that it's not showing it means that the API is not registering that the fan is running. Not sure where the temperature increase is coming from.
Yes. It’s interesting. Tesla is saying that my heat is being triggered by the app but if you go into the app climate control is off... I’ll try to figure out the scraper later to see if I can identify what behavior is actually happening. It seems that there is some sort of a bug. I mean I expect some increase in temp due to sun, this seems excessive.

I'll add most electronics are rated to operate up to 80C (176F), storage up 120C (248F).

Well for a Blackvue DR900S-2ch, the Operating Temperature is -20C to 70C (-4F to 158F) and Storage Temperature is rated the same. Their High Temperature Cut-Off is apx. 75C (167F). In comparision, the Thinkware 770 has a Operating Temperature of -10C to 60C (14F to 140F) and Storage Temp of -20C to 70C (-4 to 158F).

The Model 3 manual doesn't list any temperature rating ranges but there are numerous temperature limitations mentioned on for example Autopilot components, causing them to be unable to function as intended. These include (but not limited to):....Extremely hot or cold temperatures. Parking Sensors are mentioned under Autopark Limitations for: Weather conditions (heavy rain snow, fog or extremely hot or cold temperatures), interfering with sensor operation. Summons, same thing with sensor operation.

Now a Sandisk Extreme Pro microSD card is listed for Operating Temperatures of -25C to 85C (-13F to 185F) with Storage Temps at -40C to 85C (-40F to 185F). But if your dashcam has shut down before that won't help.

There's definitely at least something else going on here:

upload_2019-4-1_14-54-7.png

This most recent time, the temperature jump was only about 3 degrees, but still, that's 10 degrees of heating on top of the normal "greenhouse" heating that you can see from the steady progression upwards in the graph. I watched the app during this period, and nothing out of the ordinary showed up on the "climate" page (no indication anything was turned on).

To those saying this is just heat from the sun, how do you explain regular jumps in temperature every 2 hours on the dot?

There's definitely at least something else going on here:

View attachment 392526

This most recent time, the temperature jump was only about 3 degrees, but still, that's 10 degrees of heating on top of the normal "greenhouse" heating that you can see from the steady progression upwards in the graph. I watched the app during this period, and nothing out of the ordinary showed up on the "climate" page (no indication anything was turned on).

To those saying this is just heat from the sun, how do you explain regular jumps in temperature every 2 hours on the dot?
And Tesla has states that they can confirm that my app is sending a signal to my car. now why it is doing so, that’s the question.

It’s 42 out and my car is nearly 100. Since

to quote Tesla support “I reviewed the diagnosis performed by both the Service Center as well as our Advanced Vehicle Support team. Both parties determined that the commands were indeed coming from the mobile app.”

It is 42 outside right now and my car is reading Nell’s temperature of 96.

Right before lunch today, i checked my wife's car on the app & the temps started rising exactly like jat255's graphs.
Currently, it's 48F & 100F inside the car!

My app says HVAC is not turned on.
She has sunshade up.
Argggg

Seems perfectly normal to me.

Currently 42F out and interior is 105F. It's not draining battery either and I have BOTH Tesla sunshades !!

March/April sun can be really strong. My Solar is going like gang busters, it loves this weather (cool air, beaming sun) !!

My Windshield is facing south. I've purposely parked it that way to warm the car as much as possible in Winter.
Time to install Windshield SunShade or move to my Summer Parking Spot (or both eventually).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA