Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car heating up when parked upwards of 90 degrees farenheit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're curious to know whether or not it is your heater kicking on, you should be able to monitor that reasonably quickly. There are a few ways to do this - if you have access to an OBD2 device you should be able to read AUX power load, which will spike when the heat is running. Alternatively, you can try connecting your car to 110V power, and then watching your charge rate. If it drops from 4-5 miles/hr to 0, you'll know the energy is being consumed to generate heat. Some other things you can try is to monitor the luminosity in conjunction with the rise in heat. I have several of these devices in the house, and it is always interesting to note the increase in temperature with the increase in luminosity. See: Awair Glow - You will need to find it a power source, and WiFi connectivity, but it creates some helpful charts.

What bothers me is that you're not catching the heating running while in the App. You should be able to poll those stats every minute with the API as well.

As an aside, with weather in the mid 40's last week I've seen temperatures hit in the 90s inside while in direct sunlight and low-wind conditions.

Could it be the software that you are using (lephisto/tesla-apiscraper) to monitor things is actually causing the problem and sending the rogue request?
I have nothing else connected to my account other
Put a thermometer inside the car to compare the reported temperature
My car thermometer is reading correctly. Even with thermometer in the shade.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There's definitely at least something else going on here:

View attachment 392526

This most recent time, the temperature jump was only about 3 degrees, but still, that's 10 degrees of heating on top of the normal "greenhouse" heating that you can see from the steady progression upwards in the graph. I watched the app during this period, and nothing out of the ordinary showed up on the "climate" page (no indication anything was turned on).

To those saying this is just heat from the sun, how do you explain regular jumps in temperature every 2 hours on the dot?

Rounding. Imperfect polling interval. Might have caught it just before it climbed a degree on one poll and just caught it immediately after on the next.

So I see ONE interval of 2 hours and you derive that it as being "every 2 hours".

I think you need to take a basic course in statistics.

Where do you get 10 degrees of heating on top of normal "green house". What is normal?

Mine was at 105F when the air was 42F (but the car measured 58F outside).

By the way my TPMS read 44 PSI on both tires on the right and 41 on both tires on the left.

Obviously there is a pattern developing here.

Should I schedule a service appointment? Since it's obvious every tire on the right side is misreading, because both left's read correctly.

Or should I just assume the Sun was hitting the tires on the right and not the left and call it day?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: mal_tsla and jat255
Rounding. Imperfect polling interval. Might have caught it just before it climbed a degree on one poll and just caught it immediately after on the next.

So I see ONE interval of 2 hours and you derive that it as being "every 2 hours".

I think you need to take a basic course in statistics.

Where do you get 10 degrees of heating on top of normal "green house". What is normal?

Mine was at 105F when the air was 42F (but the car measured 58F outside).

By the way my TPMS read 44 PSI on both tires on the right and 41 on both tires on the left.

Obviously there is a pattern developing here.

Should I schedule a service appointment? Since it's obvious every tire on the right side is misreading, because both left's read correctly.

Or should I just assume the Sun was hitting the tires on the right and not the left and call it day?

For my part, note that I have mentioned previously (and quoted support on that) that Tesla has stated that the app is sending a trigger to my car. But I guess I should just assume that they are lying that the app is triggering? ‍♂️

SC says to protect tablet. Would you leave your iPad or iPhone in an oven and not expect issues?

leaving your mobile device in a hot car is completely different. The problem there is that the battery is exposed to intense heat, which seriously degrades its usable life, or worse, kicks off thermal runaway and the phone catches fire.

The touchscreen in the cabin is NOT a standalone tablet. It's a monitor with a capacitive touch screen. There is no battery. There are no components in there that's susceptible to a hot summer cabin.

I think you need to take a basic course in statistics

And I think you need to take a basic course in manners... No need to be a **** about it; we're just trying to figure out what's going on with our cars.

If you look at the graph, it's polling data every fifteen seconds, so it's definitely not a sampling error. If you look back through the thread, you'll see I posted more examples of this happening, and then predicted when it would next happen, and then showed exactly that. If you're still not convinced, take a look at last night's data, from 10pm to 8am, where I can assure you the car was not sitting in the sun...

Screenshot_20190401-235455.png

Sure looks like something unusual happening every two hours to me. But then again, your basic course in statistics may have been better than mine.

• Love
Reactions: mal_tsla and GWord

If you look at the graph from when I posted that, there is a clear fairly constant increase in interior temperature as a result of being parked in the sun. On top of that, there are two sudden increases in temperature, two hours apart, that sum to add about ten degrees above what the solar effect was doing.

I know my S wakes up in the middle of the night - nightmares? - and does strange things. Louvers open, lights turn on for a while. You don’t have to convince me.

What exactly it’s doing I don’t have any idea.

I feel like the S has more internal heat generation than the 3 based on inside temps when parked in the same garage.

I think the graphs are cool. I might try same.

And I think you need to take a basic course in manners... No need to be a **** about it; we're just trying to figure out what's going on with our cars.

If you look at the graph, it's polling data every fifteen seconds, so it's definitely not a sampling error. If you look back through the thread, you'll see I posted more examples of this happening, and then predicted when it would next happen, and then showed exactly that. If you're still not convinced, take a look at last night's data, from 10pm to 8am, where I can assure you the car was not sitting in the sun...

View attachment 392720

Sure looks like something unusual happening every two hours to me. But then again, your basic course in statistics may have been better than mine.

Is cabin overheat on? If it is try turning it off.

It might run a fan periodically to get a better temperature measurement. Lots of systems will periodically circulate air to get a more accurate reading, before deciding to heat or cool. And you could get a sawtooth pattern like that.

This diagram is nothing like what I commented on, which looked practically like noise. But this is a curious pattern. Sorry if this was posted earlier and I missed it.

You concern is an entirely different topic and probably worth separating from, my cabin with black seats, glass roof, closed windows, gets hot in the sun topic.

Is this canbus monitor or through API?

Reactions: mal_tsla
Is your car sleeping this whole time? Perhaps the third party app is waking the car up every two hours and this generates some heat from the computers turning on?

That’s a good thought too. It might activate some fans too when it wakes which will distribute pockets of heat closer to a temp sensor.

I doubt the computers will “heat the cabin” or be placed near a cabin temp sensor. The car is Cooling in the last graph. It’s just not cooling evenly. Something is redistributing the air in the cabin periodically. And will happen quickly from still air to moving air.

Is this canbus monitor or through API?

API

Is cabin overheat on? If it is try turning it off.

It is. I would be surprised if it made any difference, especially at night when the temperatures are cooler, but it's definitely one variable to check.

It might run a fan periodically to get a better temperature measurement.

I thought about this. If it is, then it's not the main climate system fan, because the API also reports fan speed (1-10 like in the car's UI), and it is not logging any change in the fan status during these events.

I doubt the computers will “heat the cabin” or be placed near a cabin temp sensor.

Agreed, unless they decided to do some NN training while our cars are parked, but it would take a lot of computing to raise the car's temperature by 7 degrees like at 10pm in post #52.

The car is Cooling in the last graph

Not actively cooling, though. That's just it cooling back down to ambient temperature because it is dark out and I'm parked in a covered garage.

Is your car sleeping this whole time? Perhaps the third party app is waking the car up every two hours and this generates some heat from the computers turning on?

The app polls far more frequently than every two hours to record this data (on the order of seconds), so I don't think it's that because if it was, it would be constantly "heating". Also, sentry mode is on, so the car is always "awake", so to speak.

I'll add most electronics are rated to operate up to 80C (176F), storage up 120C (248F).
With any electronic components what you really need to worry about is dogged humidity and not necessarily heat. If the cabin is like a greenhouse filled with vapor when you open the doors I'd turn on the climate control just in case... but if its dry heat, I'd say nothing to worry about.