Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car hijacking my phone over bluetooth when I am outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
Had a couple cases where sitting in my office (60' from the garage, behind a bunch of walls and such) the phone pairs to in-car Bluetooth and I have no sound until I realize that the sound is actually in the car and turn Bluetooth off.

How do people combat this I wonder, other than turning Bluetooth off in the phone when exiting the car (which is not really practical).

Also on a somewhat related note, apparently new builds have improved wifi reception, my car seems to prefer wifi access-point that's in my office where as in the past people complained it could barely hear one that's in the garage.

You can try either:
(a) change the output on your phone to use it's own speakers or
(b) click the fob once to close doors and lock the vehicle
a) is barely a convenient thing sine I want it to output to the car when I am in the car. Might as well disable bluetooth (which I do not want to do as well for the same reason)
b) - the vehicle autolocks when I walk away - the mirrors are folded, doors locked, all displays off.

I'll try that, but I think bluetooth in the car is always on because fob on Model X is bluetooth-based.
The X should only grab your Bluetooth connection if it is unlocked. I walk around my car all the time while on the phone. The instant it unlocks (if I have my fob in my pocket, for instance), it takes over the audio.

I would check to see how close your fob is to the car. My wife sometimes puts hers in the desk in the house, and it's close enough to cycle unlock/lock on the car. My guess is that this is your issue.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4 and Jurnimon
The X should only grab your Bluetooth connection if it is unlocked. I walk around my car all the time while on the phone. The instant it unlocks (if I have my fob in my pocket, for instance), it takes over the audio.

I would check to see how close your fob is to the car. My wife sometimes puts hers in the desk in the house, and it's close enough to cycle unlock/lock on the car. My guess is that this is your issue.
My fob is in the closet behind my office and the car does not see it (if I grab the fob and come close, it detects the fob, unlocks the doors, turns on headlights and unfolds the mirrors - so it's really easy to notice).
It most definitely still grabs the phone even when locked, though, even when I am not even physically near the car.

Had a couple cases where sitting in my office (60' from the garage, behind a bunch of walls and such) the phone pairs to in-car Bluetooth and I have no sound until I realize that the sound is actually in the car and turn Bluetooth off.
How do people combat this I wonder, other than turning Bluetooth off in the phone when exiting the car (which is not really practical).

I am not sure whether this addresses your concern about connection to your phone when the car is off, but my solution may still be helpful. My MX automatically grabbed my iPhone through Bluetooth and turned on and played my playlist. This was a pain and wasted my phone battery. (Tesla should correct this.) I went into the Music app and set the car for Radio or Tunein (I don’t remember which), rather than for phone. Bluetooth remains on. The phone still connects for making calls, but doesn’t play music automatically.

So you are experiencing your phone pairing to the car when the doors are closed but unlocked?

It sounds like a bug since it should only paid when either a door is opened and/or the 17" screen is tapped when the doors are closed from someone not activating the 17" from the drivers occupant seat sensor.

My fob is in the closet behind my office and the car does not see it (if I grab the fob and come close, it detects the fob, unlocks the doors, turns on headlights and unfolds the mirrors - so it's really easy to notice).
It most definitely still grabs the phone even when locked, though, even when I am not even physically near the car.
Leave your fob there and spend some time in the garage, walking between the imaginary line that would be drawn between your X and fob. See if the lights turn on occasionally.

If it grabs your audio while off for sure, it's a service item. That's not how they work.

Reactions: vandacca
I wish the BT would only pair once there was weight on the driver's seat.
Have you submitted that suggestion? I like it. I'd make a tweak that it should pair if there is weight on either of the front seats. Sometimes I'm the passenger but still want to stream from my phone. Of course, I could always force it through the Bluetooth dialog.

Reactions: vandacca
I have had multiple cases of "musical pants" where I walk by the car with Bluetooth enabled and my Android music player on my phone starts playing. First time it happened I couldn't figure out where the music was coming from and thought I was going senile.
I don't like to lock the car in the garage, so now I just turn off BT on my phone when I get out.

I previously stated (post # 8 above) that I had found a fix for this annoying problem: "The phone still connects for making calls, but doesn’t play music automatically." I was too optimistic. The MX continues to grab our phones and play music even when Music and my phone app are "off." It is easy to pause the music with the steering wheel button, but it is not convenient to shut off the music or mute the speakers. I have not had this sort of problem in any other car. Tesla should correct this.

Have you submitted that suggestion? I like it. I'd make a tweak that it should pair if there is weight on either of the front seats. Sometimes I'm the passenger but still want to stream from my phone. Of course, I could always force it through the Bluetooth dialog.

I like that suggestion too. It's a minor technical point, but I think he means a "BT connection". Paring is a one time process that remembers how two devices connect once they are in range.

I like that suggestion too. It's a minor technical point, but I think he means a "BT connection". Paring is a one time process that remembers how two devices connect once they are in range.
That's an awesome feature request. This would take care of another issue. I usually begin my day with conf calls while driving in to work. When I reach office, I switch from car to my in ear BT headset. But while I am getting my stuff out of the car, my call keeps getting ping-ponged between the car's BT and my headset and it is very annoying.

Reactions: FlyF4
I was visiting a friend and stayed in a guest bedroom over the garage where my Model X was parked and locked.

My iPhone would not make a sound. I finally figured out that it was BT-linked to the car's speakers. I shutoff BT, and the problem was solved.

Now I carry an RF-blocking pouch for the fob. I'm always wondering if I've butt-dialed a door open when I'm away (in a restaurant, etc.) but still within fob range.