Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car is bricked without key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the update today (July 10, 2022) my wife could not put the Tesla in Drive.
The model Y allowed her to unlock the car (it connected to bluetooth fine).
But the model Y would not allow her to put the car in drive - the monitor told her that she had to use a key card.
If she was out shopping she would have been stranded.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what options she has if she doesn't have her key card?

Thanks!

P.S. This has happened to both of us a few times around April and May as well.

Did you try starting it with the app? That's always worked for us.

Also, we never go anywhere without a keycard. Phones can die, get smashed, etc. Easy to keep one in your wallet.

Attachments

• 2C062568-8452-49A4-A254-CE7B167A0D8F.jpeg
    2C062568-8452-49A4-A254-CE7B167A0D8F.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 140
ALWAYS carry your key card. Seriously, my last phone bricked in my pocket (RIP Nexus 5X) about 6 months into owning my car when I was out shopping. If I did not have my key card tucked away in my wallet I would have been stranded. I have also had a few times where the phone key fails like for the OP as well. Sure, it works 99% of the time, but those times it does not would be a major hassle. Use the phone for convenience, but never depend on it to be 100% reliable, because it is not.

This occasionally happens to me because my phone updated some things and either 1) turned off bluetooth or 2) killed the Tesla app. i.e. caused by the phone, not the car.

I always carry the card. I can put the wallet on the car without removing the card from the wallet. I don't understand why anyone would ever drive without the card. The card is your key -- the phone is just a convenience.

If she was out shopping she would have been stranded.

There should be no situation in which that can happen, because she should always have the keycard with her. If she can carry a drivers license (which we all legally have to do to drive), then the keycard can fit in the same space.

IF she forgot it, and she had her phone, she could have started it with the app remotely, or called you to start it remotely since she had her phone and it was still working.

You have to work very hard to create a situation to actually be "stuck" because of a key, in a model 3.

One more thing, OP,

"Bricked" in the term of electronics means "completely non functional" and also generally refers to a situation which is unrecoverable. Not being able to start a car, but all other electronics functioning, isnt "bricked".
Glad you said it instead of me. I was tempted :) I guess some folks either don't understand the term or just like to be extreme.

Reactions: T-Mom