Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car 'keyed' caught on sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checking my dashcam footage on my laptop for the first time. Sadly it seems the footage saved whenever the "save" button is hit is pretty much up to the save moment and not beyond.

Given that for any enforcement to take place, police like to see a couple of minutes before and after, it would seem wise to try and remember to press the button a couple of times, at the time of the offence and shortly afterwards. This would be the easiest thing for Tesla to program automatically but I won't hold my breath!

Yes, this issue was discussed quite some while back. Ideally you don't press to record the event at the time but leave it until a few minutes afterwards. The problem is remembering to do it! As you say, it should be possible to program so that it does this automatically. It auto saves loads of time before the event so just needs to make sure to include the same afterwards as well to guarantee including all potentially relevant footage.

Just checking my dashcam footage on my laptop for the first time. Sadly it seems the footage saved whenever the "save" button is hit is pretty much up to the save moment and not beyond.

Given that for any enforcement to take place, police like to see a couple of minutes before and after, it would seem wise to try and remember to press the button a couple of times, at the time of the offence and shortly afterwards. This would be the easiest thing for Tesla to program automatically but I won't hold my breath!
Pull the stick and view it on a computer. There is a folder which the TeslaCam stores loads of videos as a cache. It gradually overwrites those files.
Depending on the size of the USB stick there is probably files from each of the cameras after the incident. When I recorded the scrote that damaged my car I was able to find files before and after the incident.

Worth bearing in mind that Sentry videos don't appear to ever get deleted. I had a warning the other day about my ~256GB of storage running low, and discovered that the car had saved every Sentry video that it had ever taken since I got the car. Nice I guess, but I wish the dashcam part of it saved at least the entire previous journey, rather than just a rolling 1 hour, and ideally the last X journeys in full.

Reactions: TheFuturist
Worth bearing in mind that Sentry videos don't appear to ever get deleted. I had a warning the other day about my ~256GB of storage running low, and discovered that the car had saved every Sentry video that it had ever taken since I got the car. Nice I guess, but I wish the dashcam part of it saved at least the entire previous journey, rather than just a rolling 1 hour, and ideally the last X journeys in full.
+1 I would love this. Last x journeys and you can define what x is.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha

Then maybe add a regular dashcam as well. I've had one for years now and you can get a 4k camera for not much. Admittedly a PitA having two of them, but I might do that if the Y ever gets delivered

I'm still surprised that they aren't mandatory yet. I figured insurance companies would have lobbied for it to happen

Outrageous. I’d report it to the police, not just FB. Hope he gets the book thrown at him. Keep us updated.

On a related note, I’m increasingly saving dashcam footage of bad/obnoxious driving, occasionally saying to myself “I’m definitely reporting this guy”. Haven’t bothered to date but I’m sure someone will push me over the edge at some point. There was one last week which was diabolical but sadly the dashcam only saved footage prior to the event, not to the point at which I pressed the save button.
The button cuts and copies the clip at the time of the button press, its not a "start recording" button. So press it well after. The clips are 10 min long, so you have plenty of time.

I'm surprised the dashcam doesn't rename out the recent recordings folder(where the current recording goes) at the end of the 40 odd minutes and make a new one so you can get several hours of sentry/dashcam recording without needing to press the record button /horn

In the above clip, while the individual can be recognised I'm not sure there would be enough of a recording to ID the cars number plate without something like the above.

Last edited: