Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car kicks up dust and dirt on rear: Any solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, unfortunately ceramic coating doesn't really help with dust. On the subject of coatings and such, I found that quick detailers seem (to me, at least) to make dust stick to the car more easily (my guess is because they grab the dust). That could be my imagination, though. The California Duster is the best solution I've found if you want to get dust off quickly without washing.

In my experience I think it depends on the fabric type used in the drying stage of a wash. I used to dry with a microfiber clothe and the static or something will always make dust stick regardless what type of sealant or waterless wash was used. Ever since I switched to drying with a chamois I've never had that problem.

IMO, the best solution is to use a waterless wash and wipe the rear area down after each drive or every other drive. IMO, you never want to touch your paint with anything without using a liquid to provide lubrication. It is always best to use a waterless wash, spray detailer, or spray wax to provide lubrication before wiping the area with a clean, microfiber towel.

I know many people love the California duster and say that they have used them for years without causing any scratches. But I personally would not use them, and would choose the waterless wash method instead.

Larry, with AMMO NYC, lists this in his list of Top 10 mistakes when washing a car:

"Avoid using car dusters, but if you must, be sure to light swipe the surface of the paint. Do not put heavy pressure on the duster. It is safest to use a spray wax and a microfiber towels for dust removal."

• Love
Reactions: XLR82XS and iSpine
Nope, unfortunately ceramic coating doesn't really help with dust. On the subject of coatings and such, I found that quick detailers seem (to me, at least) to make dust stick to the car more easily (my guess is because they grab the dust). That could be my imagination, though. The California Duster is the best solution I've found if you want to get dust off quickly without washing.

Correct on your assumption. Anything that contains wax will attract more dust. However, the solution to this is to just use a waterless wash instead of a quick detailer. Personally I use Adam's products, but you can use whatever brand you like as the concept applies the same to any brand.

When using waterless wash, my car picks up at least 50% less dirt (especially on the rear) than it does when using detail spray, over the course of a few days. It's a significant difference you can see the first time you do it. Both types of chemicals take the same amount of effort.

But for goodness sake, please use the correct type of towels to do both any sprays or waxes. I've seen people using friggin' shop towels before on a black Ferrari before, saying it was ok because they had good quality chemicals... Like no man, you're better off using good towels and cheap chemicals.

IMO, the best solution is to use a waterless wash and wipe the rear area down after each drive or every other drive. IMO, you never want to touch your paint with anything without using a liquid to provide lubrication. It is always best to use a waterless wash, spray detailer, or spray wax to provide lubrication before wiping the area with a clean, microfiber towel.

I know many people love the California duster and say that they have used them for years without causing any scratches. But I personally would not use them, and would choose the waterless wash method instead.

Larry, with AMMO NYC, lists this in his list of Top 10 mistakes when washing a car:

"Avoid using car dusters, but if you must, be sure to light swipe the surface of the paint. Do not put heavy pressure on the duster. It is safest to use a spray wax and a microfiber towels for dust removal."

If you've got full PPF of the self-healing variety on your car, I'd say the concern about scratches is a non-issue. Even without PPF, I am one of those who hasn't seen any scratches or swirls resulting from the California Duster. You probably subject your paint to much worse wear and tear when driving in the rain (or getting hit by bugs, etc.).

Years ago, I had thought that it was static buildup on the plastic that caused the dust to stick.
I tried some of the antistatic spray used for clothing.
I could not really tell if there was a change in build up or not.
However, when the stuff gets wet, it's yucky mess.
Don't do it.
jp

Wash or dust after every drive? Some folks have way too much time on their hands. Its a car. That I drive when needed (21,00km in a year give or take). It's been washed probably less than half a dozen times. Here in Toronto cars get real dirty every day you drive in winter, so comes with the territory. Of course, I'm a senior now and this is like my 35th car so to me its nice but just one of the tools I use. My 2018 Goldwing Tour gets at least a couple washes a year. :) The 2010 Mercedes GLK the Tesla replaced was likewise washed when needed, every month or two of daily driving. Lasted ten years with no issues.
Ride em, don't pamper em. (Nothing wrong with those of you who like to take greater care, just saying)

Reactions: Cloggie
I use something like this, attach it with ventilation tape, and cut out sections for the windows (and allow doors to open). Whenever it gets too dirty, I replace it.

HTB1OqFCFDJYBeNjy1zeq6yhzVXa5.jpg