Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car may not restart after software upgrade to 2019.32.12.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I did the upgrade to version 2019.32.12.7

Got in the car, drove about 15 minutes and parked and was talking to my wife. Then I get a message when I am sitting in the parking lot saying "Need Service, Car may not restart". So I turn off the car and turn it on. No screen. Black. Reset the system and then eventually it came back after the second try. Then I drive to another spot and about half way thru I get the restart message for a second, goes away. Then tonight driving home I get it one more time and it goes away.

Thoughts on all of this?

I have a 2016 Model S 90D w/about 60K miles on it. It is Hardware version 1.0 and MCU1

I have read the MCU1 flash memory can go bad. Is this a symptom? I never had these messages before upgrading. Bad upgrade?

Really don't want to get stuck in the winter!

Well here is an update. Went to go to work this morning and the car said charging was stopped during its scheduled 2:00 a.m. charge time. Went to press on the gas and the car said it was shutting down the systems. Never came back. Rebooted several times and nothing. Tow truck on the way :(

I just finished up service on my S85D for same error message and it turned out to be an issue with the "battery coolant heater" .. I got the message on Halloween .. last time it was so cold .. just like yesterday. I think something seems to be wearing out in the battery heater coils .. especially when getting hit with lots of snow / salt like in the Chicago area.

pQGZtrn%QEKXVDjk7ib5AA.jpg

Service center updated me to that same version after they replaced my MCU (1) when it dies. Thankfully, my driver instrument panel still worked and was able to drive the car. They couldn't explain why my MCU died. Suffice to say, the upgrade wasn't what caused your MCU to crap out on you.

I’m no mechanic so could someone please explain to me why a coolant would need to be heated?
When the battery management system detects a problem in the cooling or heating system for the battery, that is the message it sends out. It gets serious and will shut the car down. I got the same messages when my cooling system (air conditioner compressor) failed on a hot day last summer. The car shut down and would not restart. Take head if you ever get this message. Head to a safe spot, you may not restart.The BMS rules!