Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Car May Not Restart" service message, no kidding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread.
We see a lot of issues from M3 owners when their cars sit around for long periods of time. Is it a coincidence? Who knows? Because of this issue showing up time and time again in the pandemic I chose to never go more than 2 days without going for a joyride. Plus, who owns this vehicle and doesn't want to drive it anyway?
Everyone who is having this issue: Please post updates!!!!

Interesting thread.
We see a lot of issues from M3 owners when their cars sit around for long periods of time. Is it a coincidence? Who knows? Because of this issue showing up time and time again in the pandemic I chose to never go more than 2 days without going for a joyride. Plus, who owns this vehicle and doesn't want to drive it anyway?
Everyone who is having this issue: Please post updates!!!!

Please take it seriously if you get the warning message "Car needs service. Car may not restart."

My story is from 18 months ago, but I first got that warning while driving, then it went away. I didn't act on it at first, and that warning didnt return on future drives, so I thought maybe it was a buggy warning. About a month later I got the warning again, but it went away and I put it on my list of things to get to. Big mistake. A week after that, my car, which was plugged into the home wall charger, was not responsive to my phone or keycard. I had it jumped and towed to service, and they determined the problem was "an isolated fault" within the rear drive unit, which they replaced.
At the time I thought it was strange that a dead 12V could result from a problem with a drive unit, but this makes more sense if they share a circuit, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Since then, I have had zero issues.

Hi everyone.
I'm a new Tesla M3 AWD LR owner. I brought my 2021 model home on Dec 10 and since then have put on close to 2k miles. Last week, I was driving on I70 to Denver and about halfway through a 2 hour drive, my screen popped up with that dreaded alert "Car may not restart. Service required." I was late to an appointment as it was, but was able to get Tesla roadside service on the phone who arranged for a tow from my doctors office. As I was rushing to grab my personal items, I noticed another alert pop up that said "electrical power is limited". Anyways, this happened at an inconvenient time as it's New Years week so they still have not diagnosed the problem. The service center is slammed and they are out of loaner cars (both bad signs), so I'm driving a rental until they figure it out. They tried to stick me with Uber vouchers! I explained to them I don't own a car as an accessory, but rather a necessity and was able to get a BMW (NOT as good as my Tesla in the snow). I'm patiently waiting for a diagnosis and update.
My car definitely does not sit for days at a time and sees a lot of use (hence purchasing an EV). I plug it in when it sits and never gets drained of power and the software updates get downloaded the day they come out over night while charging.
I will update this post as I get information. A tad irritated and embarrassed that my brand new car got towed away.

Really curious to hear what happened too. Our car is less than a week old, and we'll be going on a long trip on the 14th. Hope we don't have any issues. Tried supercharging it today, and it worked fine, so if car doesn't crap out on the highway, we should be fine. My wife was disappointed we couldn't see Netflix while charging, because the stupid car doesn't have hot-spot Wi-Fi, which even my crappy Ford vehicles have, but whatever. And as expected, using the cell phone as a hot-spot didn't work with Netflix. Oh well. Anyway, please keep us posted :).

B53DD02E-7F31-450E-857B-177F069E73F2.jpeg
4FC0E2A9-A62D-4487-86CC-B69883920598.jpeg
Hi everyone.
I'm a new Tesla M3 AWD LR owner. I brought my 2021 model home on Dec 10 and since then have put on close to 2k miles. Last week, I was driving on I70 to Denver and about halfway through a 2 hour drive, my screen popped up with that dreaded alert "Car may not restart. Service required." I was late to an appointment as it was, but was able to get Tesla roadside service on the phone who arranged for a tow from my doctors office. As I was rushing to grab my personal items, I noticed another alert pop up that said "electrical power is limited

my 2 day old 2021 sr+ did the same in my garage. I heard a bang from the rear. It was towed to a sc today

Attachments

• 354F3B3C-171B-4A2D-A60B-89516A049A9D.jpeg
    354F3B3C-171B-4A2D-A60B-89516A049A9D.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hi everyone.
I'm a new Tesla M3 AWD LR owner. I brought my 2021 model home on Dec 10 and since then have put on close to 2k miles. Last week, I was driving on I70 to Denver and about halfway through a 2 hour drive, my screen popped up with that dreaded alert "Car may not restart. Service required." I was late to an appointment as it was, but was able to get Tesla roadside service on the phone who arranged for a tow from my doctors office. As I was rushing to grab my personal items, I noticed another alert pop up that said "electrical power is limited". Anyways, this happened at an inconvenient time as it's New Years week so they still have not diagnosed the problem. The service center is slammed and they are out of loaner cars (both bad signs), so I'm driving a rental until they figure it out. They tried to stick me with Uber vouchers! I explained to them I don't own a car as an accessory, but rather a necessity and was able to get a BMW (NOT as good as my Tesla in the snow). I'm patiently waiting for a diagnosis and update.
My car definitely does not sit for days at a time and sees a lot of use (hence purchasing an EV). I plug it in when it sits and never gets drained of power and the software updates get downloaded the day they come out over night while charging.
I will update this post as I get information. A tad irritated and embarrassed that my brand new car got towed away.
I

Hi everyone.
I'm going to pick up my Tesla today. They said there is a wiring harness that was installed improperly and sounds like it was a quick fix. He said they were baffled because they've never seen that alert before. I told him I have found several other people on these blogs that have had that alert and all of the different problems it's been because of. He was shocked.
Anyways. Glad to have my car back.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I'm going to pick up my Tesla today. They said there is a wiring harness that was installed improperly and sounds like it was a quick fix. He said they were baffled because they've never seen that alert before. I told him I have found several other people on these blogs that have had that alert and all of the different problems it's been because of. He was shocked.
Anyways. Glad to have my car back.
I wonder which wiring harness? Is it possible the HV connection under the right rear seat wasn't firmly closed?

"inspected logic connector for HV battery penthouse and found connector to not be fully seated. Re-connected logic connector properly and performed extended test drive to verify repair."
Thanks! There's nothing worse than having crazy errors, calling for service, and then finding out it may actually be something I can fix in a few minutes. Any errors pointing toward possible electrical errors, I'm going to check the health of the 12V and the HV connection, before calling. I'm 2+hrs away from a service center.