Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Mounted Wind Turbine to Charge car while Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok ok..... yes perpetual motion is not possible... SO WHAT..... does not mean that a wind generator on a vehicle has no place at all? Don't think so.

For example.. Wind Generator to charge Battery to run AC system. Both but a drag on the vehicle. So does Alternator actually.

In my case am considering this cause want to use same Wind Generator (but up higher in air) to assist Solar power generation to run the an AC unit that will see multi Use. Cab of truck when driving (with wind generator lowered and hopefully rotated horizontally), when parked it powers camper box mounted on truck, or Mobile Shop trailer. Only one at a time of course. All would also get Solar Panel power input as well.

So how could one make that work. A wind generation unit that looks more like a cage fan I assume would fit this idea best.

Great.... apparently you can't edit your messages after posting.

reminder this is
Wind generator lowered close to vehicle when driving but raised on post when parked. AC unit is portable and shared with each of the three (cab, camper or shop). Heck maybe even my house which is a 1954 Micro home.

I suspect if you do the math on that, if you take the space & weight that the stowed away wind generator would occupy, and instead fill that with batteries, you will be able to store more power and use it for longer than you can ever get out of the wind turbine.

Now the fact that Tesla doesn't want to allow us to use the battery for any cause other than driving the car is another matter.

These ideas stem from one quite counter-intuitive aerodynamic fact that something moving in air causes more drag than anything fixed.

Say you go and mount a wind turbine on your car and block it with a brake so it cannot rotate (and produce any power or energy). It makes no sense to do that but bear with me for a second.

You go for a drive at full throttle and reach some max speed.

At that time you push a button and release the brake on that wind turbine so it can start spinning and generating some energy that goes into separate battery.

Question is will the car slow down or speed up?
Answer is: it will slow down.

A rotating wind turbine that is generating some power is causing more drag than that same turbine when hold still (i.e. not rotating).

This fact gets lost on many people designing such contraptions.

A rotating wind turbine that is generating some power is causing more drag than that same turbine when hold still (i.e. not rotating).

This fact gets lost on many people designing such contraptions.
Ah... interesting. Thank you. Then again if one is driving a Non-Aerodynamic Big Brick of a truck (Motorhome... or in my case an ex military vehicle) will this drag have much more significance in drag losses...... and dollar and cents loses .....than adding a compressor to the engine plus purchasing a Cab AC systems plus three other duplicate AC systems for each separate area you want to AC.

Also wonder if putting a wind generator of some sort just over rear edge of roof top. maybe same just to the inside of the two verticle sides at the back would not only generate electricity bbbut also smooth turbulence created at the back end of large boxes on the back of trucks. Reduced turbulence will reduce drag so potentially the drag of the fans and drag reduction of smoother turbulence would come close to negating each other to where you've got no greater losses then the same vehicle with no wind generating power device.

I suspect if you do the math on that, if you take the space & weight that the stowed away wind generator would occupy, and instead fill that with batteries, you will be able to store more power and use it for longer than you can ever get out of the wind turbine......
Weight maybe.... Appears your not factoring in that that the wind generator is not stored" just re-oriented to a different position for power generating with driving winds.

Weight maybe.... Appears your not factoring in that that the wind generator is not stored" just re-oriented to a different position for power generating with driving winds.

"Driving wind". Now you've gone to cuckoo land. I was responding to it having a dubious virtue when parked. It has absolutely NO virtue when driving.

If you go back to "when parked" we can talk again.

"Driving wind". Now you've gone to cuckoo land. I was responding to it having a dubious virtue when parked. It has absolutely NO virtue when driving.

If you go back to "when parked" we can talk again.
when a vehicle has little drag your thoughts make ton of since. when your already driving a big brick down the road.... not sure it will make as much difference. Will toy with it at some point instead of just assuming all the principles your thinking of apply and not exploring if other principles might come into play that your not thinking of such as what is the potential the spin of the wind generator reducing turbulence at back end of vehicle thusly causing some existing drag to be reduced (though replaced by drag of wind generator).

You know I thought of this idea recently as well. I live in a solar power van that has a standard engine to move it (shrugs, no money, more smog sorry folks). I thought of a rear mounted wind turbine with thin blade design to charge camper batteries or taking the alternator out of the engine and solely using the wind to charge my car battery to power ignition, lights, ecu, and just the basic functions. This is all during driving. When parked my solar generated electricity and if it is cloudy day with no sun maybe the wind will pick up and I can get power that way. It seems like a camper van win to me.