Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car really bouncy after service visit - what could cause this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tire pressures say 46 all around (coil suspension, 19" base wheels, it says 50 on the door so 46 is pretty close). Since I got my car back from service the other day I feel every rut in the road, and I feel like I'm being jiggled to death. It's really bouncy - not sure how else to describe it, and sitting in the driver's seat I feel like I'm a bobble-head doll. It's actually really annoying and almost nauseating.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Does this sound like a loose or disconnected suspension component? I'm starting to think I need to tell the service center the solution to any problem before I arrive so they know what to do.

Well, after my last visit the car developed a low deep booming noise whenever I'd hit a bump - like a deep bass sound. I suspected it was in the suspension or perhaps some weatherstripping was damaged or out of place letting air into the cabin. My report says they didn't even LOOK at the suspension, just did a test drive to listen for the noise.

I agree sounds like maybe a shock issue.

It says 50 on the door? Mine says 42!

60 vs 85D I suppose. I have 245/45/19 all-seasons and AWD.

It's the difference between 19's on a D and 21's.

Some D's have 50 psi as the recommended tire pressure and others have 45 psi. It depends on when your D was manufactured, as Tesla started out recommending 45 psi, switched to 50 psi for a few months, and has now switched back to 45 psi as their recommendation for Ds with 19" wheels.

As for what could be causing your rough ride, I expect you thought of this, but is it possible your tires were under-inflated before, and you're just not used to what the ride feels like when the tires are properly inflated?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, after my last visit the car developed a low deep booming noise whenever I'd hit a bump - like a deep bass sound. I suspected it was in the suspension or perhaps some weatherstripping was damaged or out of place letting air into the cabin. My report says they didn't even LOOK at the suspension, just did a test drive to listen for the noise.

Have you seen this thread? Your description sounds similar.

P85D shock issue (air suspension)

Did you investigate this possibility, suggested by Ames, just a bit ago?
Ames said:
Mine went in for a quick fix in Drammen, Norway (update to address right speaker static). I noticed the same thing initially as I drove away and realised it was because they left the suspension in Very high.

Did you call service center and let them know about this issue? Definitely sounds like something is wrong with suspension.