Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Invite!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still going to do it. But I'm going to set booby traps up around the car. Wanna touch? Fall into a deep hole, sucka!

That's largely what we did. I let people touch the doors and open them, but very few people did I let up on stage to sit in it (especially with the B-pillar wear concerns).

As a car collector and enthusiast, I have been to hundreds of shows, with very few incidents as either a spectator or exhibitor. (Worst experiences are as spectator at Corvette shows, where exhibitors seem to be a bit extreme (sorry if I offend any Corvette owners) and at one classic show where one owner didn't want me holding my then infant son anywhere near his car (I guess he was afraid of projectile vomiting at 4 feet).

Most importantly, please remember the wisdom of my car club president, a collector, racer and generally good guy, who says "It's a car, not a religious object!". Enjoy & let others enjoy - the vast majority of people are respectful and grateful to you for exhibiting.

I'm still going to do it. But I'm going to set booby traps up around the car. Wanna touch? Fall into a deep hole, sucka!

Good decision!

That's largely what we did. I let people touch the doors and open them, but very few people did I let up on stage to sit in it (especially with the B-pillar wear concerns).

Whoa. I think you're overthinking this one. Car shows are fun. The people wanting to learn more about your car will make you feel good. There are countless profile pics on facebook are of people sitting in my car, behind the wheel, with two thumbs up and all excited.

I agree with Electric1. It's a car. People are respectful and grateful to you for exhibiting. HAVE FUN and quit worrying. People that could cause a problem are everywhere. Car shows generally bring out the enthusiasts who understand proper etiquette. ... of course, showing at the Girl Scout annual conference, next to the Solar Nail Polish booth and across from the cotton candy and giant grape slurpy vendor is another story. And even that was fun, with zero incident (but I watched the car a lot more closely). :)

I agree with Electric1. It's a car. People are respectful and grateful to you for exhibiting. HAVE FUN and quit worrying. People that could cause a problem are everywhere.

Bonnie, unfortunately there were those who got a bit rough, and who handle things differently at a manufacturer's show versus a private show. I regularly show my '64 Mustang and my '65 GTO at shows and feel better -- like you do -- about those shows because it's acknowledged those are privately owned cars. But at the St. Louis show, things got a bit crazy. I had 3 kids who, while I was demonstrating the UMC's plug ends, jumped into the front seat and began hopping seat-to-seat, lemonade in hand. And the car was up on a 2' stage!

A very expensive Aston Martin, despite being roped off, ended up with a significant softball-sized dent before the show was over (likely at the VIP event on Saturday night).

You're right -- there's little to worry about, but there are unfortunately some idiots you have to ask nicely not to destroy your car. The assumption at the St. Louis show was that it was a company-owned demonstration car, not my personal car. I had a good experience, but I had to watch the occasional idiot closely.

I think car shows are great and would encourage anyone to go.. but does carbon fiber dent?

Hah! I didn't think anyone would notice that little fact. Shhhhhh! :) ...Let's put it this way: IF it dents, it is not something that can be popped out.

But the point still stands. The paint hasn't gotten scratched, seats not destroyed ... just countless fingerprints and even more photos of the car. The worst that has happened to the car in public was someone pried off a couple of the Tesla letters on the back (but not at a show, it was in a parking lot). Guess someone wanted a souvenir. Tesla sent me replacement chrome to put back on the car.

Well, you have here various ideas and findings here. I take mine to the Saturday morning coffee shop show often. I leave the door open so people can see the screen. I even wore my red Tesla shirt. So a guy is sitting in the seat, playing with the screen, I walked up, Hi so you are a Tesla sales person? No, this is my car. You should have seen his face. He jumped out and apologized. No, I said please go ahead! That is why I am here!

This is a very special time. Bring a few people with you to help engage the onlookers. No guarantees, but I think it will be alright. Yes it can get scratched. You can leave if it gets too rough. You can stay if it gets too fun.

Our Tesla LA club has also done countless shows and Supercar Sundays. I've never had any damage Some surprises as an unlabeled car is thought to be corporate and therefore doanythingable but a sign is all it takes.

If you wear Tesla hat, shirt, or jacket that will make them assume you work for Tesla and that the car is Tesla's.

I wear a much less graphic version of this.

petrolcide-f-260.jpg

Doubt anyone's interested, as this will likely just be a small little "Cruise In", but for completeness the car show is this Friday, Apr. 5, from 6-9pm at 20128 Iwip Rd, Smithfield, VA.

I didn't know about it until after it was published, but in the local paper's advertisement for the show the Tesla is one of two "main attraction" cars listed:

clipping.jpg

Doubt anyone's interested, as this will likely just be a small little "Cruise In", but for completeness the car show is this Friday, Apr. 5, from 6-9pm at 20128 Iwip Rd, Smithfield, VA.

I didn't know about it until after it was published, but in the local paper's advertisement for the show the Tesla is one of two "main attraction" cars listed:

View attachment 19452

Well, I totally missed that event in my own backyard. Guess I don't hang out here enough...

So how did the Model S stack up against the Fast Lube Chevy? ;-)

photo2.JPG

Here's a picture from the car show from a few weeks ago. My car was one of the featured cars at the show--and had the most interest by far. Had lots of interest from plenty of gearheads, who asked lots of questions. Fortunately, nobody touched the car without permission, so that's a good thing.

Had a few people come by who knew a bit about the car already, and one guy who actually had been following Tesla pretty closely.

The worst part about the show was that I stepped in dog s**t somewhere in the grass. So for the drive home, my shoes came off and went into a plastic bag. Ain't no way I'm tracking mutt poopie onto my carpet!

Had 88 cars in this show today, didn't win any awards (people voting for the classics), but easily had the most interest. One guy did vote for mine in the best engine class. ;)

The poster did its job well. Many people spent the time reading it, even more fully than I thought they would. If there was one thing to improve on it, is a couple people walked away still thinking the infrastructure still isn't there yet. Still not ready for the masses. Might be good to add a SC map if possible.

Yet another guy commented/knew that in year, the infrastructure will be ready.

Fun day tho.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This car, Shelby, won best Muscle Car.
Note 0-60 in about 4.6 seconds (think steam punk).
image.jpg

This car won best of Show...
image.jpg

And many many more great cars.

People were amazed, intrigued, and generally loved the Model S though. :)

This is an interesting thread with some great tips.

I was asked to bring my car to a "retired gentleman's club" meeting the other day where they were having a guest speaker in to talk about electric cars. I was happy to do so, but left a little distraught by what transpired: After the meeting, about 30 or so "seniors" descended on the car in the parking lot and proceeded to pick and prod away much to my distress. I barely caught one guy before he slammed the frunk down, someone else was banging his fist up and down the side of the car while another was picking away at my paint armor with a fingernail! While I was dealing with this, someone else was trying with all his might to push the door-handle back flush into the car while someone else kept opening and slamming doors! Between answering the onslaught of questions and keeping my eye on all of this, I left feeling I don't want to do that again!

This is an interesting thread with some great tips.

I was asked to bring my car to a "retired gentleman's club" meeting the other day where they were having a guest speaker in to talk about electric cars. I was happy to do so, but left a little distraught by what transpired: After the meeting, about 30 or so "seniors" descended on the car in the parking lot and proceeded to pick and prod away much to my distress. I barely caught one guy before he slammed the frunk down, someone else was banging his fist up and down the side of the car while another was picking away at my paint armor with a fingernail! While I was dealing with this, someone else was trying with all his might to push the door-handle back flush into the car while someone else kept opening and slamming doors! Between answering the onslaught of questions and keeping my eye on all of this, I left feeling I don't want to do that again!

That was my initial worry too... but audiences at car shows generally understand the hands off etiquette. I even had my door cracked for an hour just to keep the displays alive, and people (kids included) left the door alone. With my black car, every finger print shows, and afterwards I was amazed how hand-print-free the car really was.