Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Poster: Draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those interested, I've reupped the PSD file to:
http://wikisend.com/download/303846/modelSPosterFinal.psd

Thanks Todd!!!! I've got a "hot august nights" party coming up with a dozen or more hotrods at a friend's house. I'll print out your poster and have it by my Sig.

btw I'm working on something fun for the frunk, just to surprise the guys. I'm thinking about making a foam board "Mr. Fusion" or "Flux Capacitor", so I'll be scouring the net for artwork. Will post that if it works.

Quickest american sedan? I took my P85 to the dragstrip with my son-in-law who has a Caddy CTS-V wagon.
I got dusted. He got 12.2 for quarter mile and I got 12.5 for my best time.

Yes, quickest as in 0-60 MPH. I don't believe anyone has shown any evidence of a stock sedan beating the P85 to 60 MPH. There is a documented 12.371s quarter mile time. Do you have the pano roof, rear child seats, or twin chargers? Which tires? Those sorts of things will obviously slow down your quarter mile time.

Higher weight. Pano roof is heavier than normal roof, Twin chargers are heavier than single charger. Rear child seats are heavier than no child seats. Full charge has higher acceleration than 80% charge.
Do we have any kind of real numbers here? Is this a "turn the seat heater to 2 instead of 1" or a "turn on the climate control in 150 degree weather" kind of difference in power consumption?

Do we have any kind of real numbers here? Is this a "turn the seat heater to 2 instead of 1" or a "turn on the climate control in 150 degree weather" kind of difference in power consumption?

Well, I'm pretty certain the glass roof/motor/rails/buffet arm is heavier than a regular aluminum roof. I'd guess it's about a 100 pound difference. That's almost a passenger right there. The rear seats are what, maybe 50 pounds? Second charger's obviously not much, but mass is mass. It's going to make a difference when we're talking about 3.9 sec vs. 4.0 sec. That's just the engineer in me talking. I'm sure you're aware of the F=ma stuff :). My point was that teslasguy posted a best 1/4 mi time of 12.5 sec, and the P85 has been clocked at NEDRA at 12.371 sec, so figured configuration, state of charge, and tire quality could all have been factors in the performance.

As for SOC and acceleration numbers, every timed acceleration run I've seen (NEDRA, Motor Trend, Edmunds) has indicated that higher SOC yields slightly better 0-60 numbers. Makes sense too. At least I haven't seen anything counter to this.

The seat heaters draw so little power in comparison to the motor that the difference between off and three is going to be wiped out by random variables.

The power consumers in the Model S are:

1. Motor

4. Cabin heater

8. Vampire (hopefully this will go away soon)

20. Air conditioner

70. Everything else.

The seat heaters draw so little power in comparison to the motor that the difference between off and three is going to be wiped out by random variables.
Right. That's why I used it in my question. Let me rephrase...

Do we have any kind of real numbers here? Is this a trivially small or a significant kind of difference in power consumption?

Right. That's why I used it in my question. Let me rephrase...

I don't think anyone outside Tesla has done any real measurements. The Canada section and winter threads indicate trivially small. For the A/C in Texas I notice 20 to 30 Wh/mile difference on the screen when it's 35 or so. If the REST API was a bit clearer on how to implement it, I suspect there would be more information about this. The numbers I put in the previous post are about what I think the power use ranking is--but that's going by my car and what I've read, rather than real measurements.

Okay.... here we go.

I have my first official auto show this coming weekend, with another on the 17th. With cue's from Todd here (thank you, thank you), and common questions I'm always fielding, here's my take on a poster. This will be fairly large 2' x 3' and sitting on an easel. If anything, I may have put too much info on this, but it is an all day event, and the show's Director anticipates I may have the most popular car there. Figure this will answer many of those questions.

For text scale reference, the headline font sizes are at 36pts. Copy size is set at 24 pts.

This is my first draft, so your feedback is welcome. I haven't grammar checked this yet either, so grammar police -- fire away.

I'll make a PDF available when this is closer to finalized. You're all welcome to "borrow" any of this.

Tesla-Model-S-car-show-poster.jpg

Overall looks good. Feedback as requested:
  1. Reference price somewhere. Not displaying it comes across as suspicious.
  2. "C Net" should be "CNET".
  3. Your 40A and 80A charging times are too low. Should be 8+ and 4+ hours. And remove the "assume charging for...". People want to know what a "0 to (range/trip) full" is.
  4. Change "will include" to "uses". This avoids the "creep" of first column into second column.
  5. Recommend adding a light gray background to the second and third columns to pull the 2nd and 3rd columns together. On first read, my eyes didn't even see the 2nd column so I just read "4.2, 3.9, 9.5" and was wondering what the 3.9 vs. the 9.5 was about.
  6. Consider putting a Model X teaser somewhere (perhaps at the bottom) with a little thumbnail. Key point to get across from the tease (and visual) is that it's an SUV. This will likely entice the "but a sedan is too small for my family" crowd to ask more questions. Actually a small footer (perhaps in red again) with pictures/icons of Roadster, S, and X -- maybe with a circle or glow effect around the S -- might look great and not be too distracting.

Nice feedback Brian! Thanks.

I was thinking about the teaser for the X, and Gen 3 too.

I used the 200 mile charge, to showcase the super chargers, but like you say, perhaps that's deceiving. I didn't think so, at least initially, as many people seldom drain any car down to 0, but more realistically down to 25% or so... making 200 miles seem more real world. Hmmm.