Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Car Show Poster' for the 17" Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry but it doesn't look good.

Images resolutions are too low, writes are too big and the font isn't really suitable for this purpose.

It's a good concept but the form has to be done better (in my opinion).
Easy there, I'm sure this took hours to get running. Definitely not in my skillset! :) Besides, a) it's software and b) it's a 0.1 release, not a 1.0 release. No doubt it'll get better.

Reactions: Footbag
Great! With National Drive Electric Week forthcoming, that is partially what prompted me to finally share the site, hoping others can make use of it. Is it fair to assume you have LTE (or wifi)?

I was in a parking lot of a store. I do have LTE, but coverage is minimal where I live, and it is often 3G. I didn't notice the particulars. I have often (incl. today) driven for miles in "fog", meaning the red arrow icon sits in the middle of a blank screen which will not load the map. I had no issues with the app.

I bet Jalopnik is the source of my ICE issues.
Since they broke the story of the first (and second?) Tesla fires (back in the day) it's been a fairly regular read.
Trust me, I'll never buy another ICE again.

Hi, @Footbag

You really made my day with this display! I'm looking at it on my computer and can't wait to try it out in the car. Could make it much easier to show the car at car shows.

I hope you won't mind some suggestions/feedback... since you asked for same. :) I'm afraid I'm not the guy to comment on GIF v. JPG, HTML optimizations. fonts and so on. I read all the other comments and your responses, and hope that from that dialogue emerges whatever improvements seem reasonable to you to make.

So, my two cents....

1. "And can fill up at home". How about "Fill Up @ Home, Full Battery Every A.M."

2. "Superchargers allow FREE Long Distance Travel" =>
FREE Long Distance Travel [I believe in leading with the thing most likely to instantly get attention]
...for bonus points, let's figure out how to eliminate "travel" being on its own line, so you get more
of the map being visible
umm.....
FREE National Travel?
FREE Travel?

So how about this:
FREE Travel
via SuperChargers

7. "The safest car in America". How about "The safest car on the planet".

10. Model X: World's Fastest SUV.... I wish the text could be reduced to two lines and relocated a bit for increased visibility of the car. But I don't have any suggestions as to how to improve the text, sorry. :-(

12. Love the picture with the kids!

And along a different line: this thing with the ads. I haven't experienced yet as I haven't tried this in the car. But if you're concerned about making some money from this puppy, could you offer an "ad buyout" option so that someone like me, who hates ads, can turn them off? Alternately... I can't believe that this site is going to make much money from ads... could I buy out the entire ad thing, so that you turn off the ads for everybody? If so, what figure would you believe is reasonable? (You can PM me if you don't want to discuss ad buyout pricing in public.)

Thanks,
Alan

• Helpful
A
Hi, @Footbag

You really made my day with this display! I'm looking at it on my computer and can't wait to try it out in the car. Could make it much easier to show the car at car shows.

I hope you won't mind some suggestions/feedback... since you asked for same. :) I'm afraid I'm not the guy to comment on GIF v. JPG, HTML optimizations. fonts and so on. I read all the other comments and your responses, and hope that from that dialogue emerges whatever improvements seem reasonable to you to make.

So, my two cents....

1. "And can fill up at home". How about "Fill Up @ Home, Full Battery Every A.M."

FREE Long Distance Travel [I believe in leading with the thing most likely to instantly get attention]
...for bonus points, let's figure out how to eliminate "travel" being on its own line, so you get more
of the map being visible
umm.....
FREE National Travel?
FREE Travel?

So how about this:
FREE Travel
via SuperChargers

10. Model X: World's Fastest SUV.... I wish the text could be reduced to two lines and relocated a bit for increased visibility of the car. But I don't have any suggestions as to how to improve the text, sorry. :-(

12. Love the picture with the kids!

And along a different line: this thing with the ads. I haven't experienced yet as I haven't tried this in the car. But if you're concerned about making some money from this puppy, could you offer an "ad buyout" option so that someone like me, who hates ads, can turn them off? Alternately... I can't believe that this site is going to make much money from ads... could I buy out the entire ad thing, so that you turn off the ads for everybody? If so, what figure would you believe is reasonable? (You can PM me if you don't want to discuss ad buyout pricing in public.)

Thanks,
Alan

I'll help offset your costs Alan...

/Ed

Glad to hear it! In almost every case, viewing web pages on the car is worst than the alternative; I like to think my little page is the exception...

I hope you won't mind some suggestions/feedback... since you asked for same.
Your feedback was exactly the type I was looking for, so lets begin...

Too long I'm afraid. As you comment elsewhere, its tricky to keep text short enough not to cover up too much of the photo, and your suggestion would need another line which I don't think would work. Shrinking font size isn't really an option, as the text needs to be legible from some distance away. That said, remove the "and can" cleans up the image a bit, so I made that change to the USA version. The Canadian version is untouched for comparison.

Your suggestion certainly clears up some of the map. My only concern is should the graphic promote/address the issue of supercharger abuse by locals (thus the 'long distance' wording I used). I can readily concede that this web page isn't the place to fight that battle perhaps? I've made the change (again, USA version).

Yeah, I had a very similar thought initially. I'll confess, that graphic in its entirely is one I grabbed from elsewhere (thus I can't alter the wording). I redid it.

10. Model X: World's Fastest SUV.... I wish the text could be reduced to two lines and relocated a bit for increased visibility of the car.
Agreed, the wording is too much on the picture. I had that slide before I had the 'video' of the doors opening - wanted to highlight the doors. I've redone this slide entirely.

My edits were all on the USA version. I'm going to await your (@Pollux) feedback before committing them entirely. I'm certainly happier with the Safety and Model X slides. The other two were more minor tweaks.

Thanks again for helping clean up the content. More perspectives are a good thing for projects like this.

My edits were all on the USA version. I'm going to await your (@Pollux) feedback before committing them entirely. I'm certainly happier with the Safety and Model X slides. The other two were more minor tweaks.

Thanks again for helping clean up the content. More perspectives are a good thing for projects like this.

Love what you did with the edits, I readily agree with all your points. I looked through the USA version, desperate to find something useful to add... can't. :) Looks great to me!! I am touched that you'd even wait a moment for my feedback. :) (And apologies that it has taken me this long to cycle back to this thread and respond!!)

I went out to the car just now to try it out: looks way better on the car screen than it does on my Macbook Pro. I think you've made some good choices about resolution versus time to load and display. I like the animated FWD open/close, kids in the jump seats, etc. I now better understand some other peoples' points about the resolution not being what they'd like, but if increasing the resolution is going to significantly increase the load and/or display cycle time, I'd say don't do it.

Oh, and I finally remembered to say: LOVE the picture of the 18650 battery! I am always pulling out a (discharged) standard 18650 to show people when I talk about the battery pack. I usually point out that Tesla got its start riding the development curve for **laptop** batteries, which I think is a thought that lodges into people's brains. I'm not saying to put that factoid onto the slide, though, because Tesla has been developing its own battery chemistry in partnership with Panasonic for a long time now.

Last thing: I hate the ads (sorry). Send me a PM and let me have a crack at buying out the ads for everyone (probably too hard to make it a user-selectable option).

Alan

Love what you did with the edits, I readily agree with all your points. I looked through the USA version, desperate to find something useful to add... can't. :) Looks great to me!! I am touched that you'd even wait a moment for my feedback. :) (And apologies that it has taken me this long to cycle back to this thread and respond!!)

I went out to the car just now to try it out: looks way better on the car screen than it does on my Macbook Pro. I think you've made some good choices about resolution versus time to load and display. I like the animated FWD open/close, kids in the jump seats, etc. I now better understand some other peoples' points about the resolution not being what they'd like, but if increasing the resolution is going to significantly increase the load and/or display cycle time, I'd say don't do it.

Oh, and I finally remembered to say: LOVE the picture of the 18650 battery! I am always pulling out a (discharged) standard 18650 to show people when I talk about the battery pack. I usually point out that Tesla got its start riding the development curve for **laptop** batteries, which I think is a thought that lodges into people's brains. I'm not saying to put that factoid onto the slide, though, because Tesla has been developing its own battery chemistry in partnership with Panasonic for a long time now.

Last thing: I hate the ads (sorry). Send me a PM and let me have a crack at buying out the ads for everyone (probably too hard to make it a user-selectable option).

Alan

As I said before, Alan, let me add my $0.02 too! :)

I am touched that you'd even wait a moment for my feedback. :)
I very much appreciated your feedback the first time, only makes sense to close that loop!

. I now better understand some other peoples' points about the resolution not being what they'd like, but if increasing the resolution is going to significantly increase the load and/or display cycle time, I'd say don't do it.
This can't be stressed enough, especially for cars with 3G, the file size of all the images/'videos' needs to be kept as small as possible, otherwise it won't load. The first time I did those animated gifs, I did them at high quality, they looked great on the computer screen (just like a real video), but when I tried it on the car, yikes!

LOVE the picture of the 18650 battery!
Me too! People are fascinated by the battery, thus this image, and the 'video' of the battery pack. If anyone can point to a better video of the battery pack, I'll do my best to swap it in.

Will do...

Now, about the font. It seems the font got the most negative feedback from everyone. @int_32t had a couple of suggestions. His font does seem like an improvement, as does removing italics. He suggested a light blue... I tried that out, and on a couple pictures, it looks ok, but on others, it faded into the background. I tried a number of other color's, and still come back to Red as being better for legibility at a distance/ability to stand out on the slide. I think it is desirable to have a uniform look/font color across the slides, rather than picking colors that work for a given slide? This weekend I'll do up some samples for feedback. I'd love to get the tweaking all done prior to National Drive Electric Week.

The upper portion (still images) have a blur effect on the edges. Initially this was red (to go with my car color and red font), but the dark blur is better. However, now that the lower section is video, where I can't easily do that border, I'm thinking of removing the border altogether. If people have objections/suggestions, please let me know.

Please remove the Joy of S3X slide, think of the children.
I had considered that initially. I've yet to have a parent object when viewing this at car shows (either directly, or that I could overhear). I just love the S3X line up humor Tesla came up with, and want to keep that phrasing. If some others here do object, I will seriously consider removing it, but for the moment, it is staying :) (Hey, Motortrend's magazine cover featuring the 3 was "Mindblowing S3X", I was just inspired by them!)

Me too! People are fascinated by the battery, thus this image, and the 'video' of the battery pack. If anyone can point to a better video of the battery pack, I'll do my best to swap it in.

There is a guy on this forum -- I think currently on the forum -- with the handle wk057. He has torn down the internals of two battery packs as part of constructing a large battery-backup system for his home solar (it's an awesome project). He might be able to supply you with some unusually interesting pictures. Failing that, I think the picture of the battery held in your hand is not just adequate but actually quite good. If you're going to look for a replacement picture, it should be a spectacular picture, as what you have is already quite good.

I think it is desirable to have a uniform look/font color across the slides, rather than picking colors that work for a given slide?
I am very weak with UIs. But that said, I'd vote for a uniform look/font/color across all the slides, regardless what you ultimately settle on.

However, now that the lower section is video, where I can't easily do that border, I'm thinking of removing the border altogether. If people have objections/suggestions, please let me know.

Sadly, I have no opinion until I see it, at which point I might or might not like it, but that's a little late to be saying so. :-(

I had considered that initially. I've yet to have a parent object when viewing this at car shows (either directly, or that I could overhear). I just love the S3X line up humor Tesla came up with, and want to keep that phrasing. If some others here do object, I will seriously consider removing it, but for the moment, it is staying :) (Hey, Motortrend's magazine cover featuring the 3 was "Mindblowing S3X", I was just inspired by them!)

I have kids but no opinion on whether to retain or eliminate this particular text. It seems to me that young kids won't get it at all, middle kids might and might ask a question but might not, older kids especially middle-school and high-school will get it and have a Beavis and Butthead moment.

Alan

I've got some internals of the pack. Feel free to use if deemed appropriate.

Whole pack removed from car:
pic

What it looks like with the cover removed:
pic

Close up of cells:
pic

• Helpful
Reactions: Pollux and Footbag
@Ingineer - great pix!

@Footbag - oh, yeah, there's this OTHER dude on TMC who seems to know everything about the car and electricity and whatnot, and HE might have some awesome photos himself, and you never know what threads he might be monitoring, and he just tosses in helpful posts here and there, sometimes completely out of the blue, and his handle is...

• Funny
Reactions: TLej
@Ingineer - great pix!

@Footbag - oh, yeah, there's this OTHER dude on TMC who seems to know everything about the car and electricity and whatnot, and HE might have some awesome photos himself, and you never know what threads he might be monitoring, and he just tosses in helpful posts here and there, sometimes completely out of the blue, and his handle is...

LOL! Thanks @Ingineer for the photos. The bottom two are nice shots, but a bit too abstract for this purpose I think. The first one is much more applicable, but again given the purpose of this, I think showing the chassis skateboard intact, helps people better understand the battery (in relation to wheels/etc).
@Pollux any thoughts on the (hopefully) final version of the site? That black border is gone, and I've 'cleaned up' the font everywhere (still red, as it seems to me to be a good choice for far away legibility/attention grabbing).

As far as the S3X goes.. if others do have issue with it, I could redo that, removing 'the joy of s3x' and replace it with 3 lines of the models arranged so the S 3 X are in a uniform verital line, visually highlighting the S 3 X (tho vertically). But that's a bit of work, so not going to unless more concern arrses :).

LOL! Thanks @Ingineer for the photos. The bottom two are nice shots, but a bit too abstract for this purpose I think. The first one is much more applicable, but again given the purpose of this, I think showing the chassis skateboard intact, helps people better understand the battery (in relation to wheels/etc).
@Pollux any thoughts on the (hopefully) final version of the site? That black border is gone, and I've 'cleaned up' the font everywhere (still red, as it seems to me to be a good choice for far away legibility/attention grabbing).

As far as the S3X goes.. if others do have issue with it, I could redo that, removing 'the joy of s3x' and replace it with 3 lines of the models arranged so the S 3 X are in a uniform verital line, visually highlighting the S 3 X (tho vertically). But that's a bit of work, so not going to unless more concern arrses :).

Warning - I'm looking at this via Macbook Pro / Safari rather than via car browser.

Model 3 slide - can you drop the "usd"? I figure you're also aiming to use this in Canada or maybe Canada's your primary. Is the exchange rate close enough that you don't need to distinguish? I'm just trying to remove any bit of visual "clutter" that I can. Or maybe "$35K"? "$35Kusd"?

Can you move the cars/road UP a bit to create more space between the cars and the Model 3 black box and the price? Seems clear and uncluttered at the top of the picture but crowded nearer the bottom. Honestly, many of the slides feel crowded, but I have no suggestions for those slides; you're trying to fit in a certain amount of information and that's that.

Mountain / chalet slide - I've never before voiced this thought, but wondering whether you have an alternative that is just, say, S and/or X vehicles without the roadsters. Now before anyone kills me!! I love the roadster and keep thinking whether the wife should have one. :) But in this particular presentation, there isn't any prior discussion of the roadster. So in my mind, this presentation has become S plus X plus M3 (future). So unless you're already Tesla-knowledgeable, you might look at this slide and think, oh! those are pretty little cars! Are they Teslas? Are there any Teslas in the picture at all (yes, but they're in the background)?

Picture / animated GIF of skateboard - can you add text along the lines of,

"Skateboard" - battery pack, motor(s) & wheels

I finally found your PM and responded to you earlier today. Sorry about that delay.

Alan

Warning - I'm looking at this via Macbook Pro / Safari rather than via car browser.

Model 3 slide - can you drop the "usd"? I figure you're also aiming to use this in Canada or maybe Canada's your primary. Is the exchange rate close enough that you don't need to distinguish? I'm just trying to remove any bit of visual "clutter" that I can. Or maybe "$35K"? "$35Kusd"?

Can you move the cars/road UP a bit to create more space between the cars and the Model 3 black box and the price? Seems clear and uncluttered at the top of the picture but crowded nearer the bottom. Honestly, many of the slides feel crowded, but I have no suggestions for those slides; you're trying to fit in a certain amount of information and that's that.

Mountain / chalet slide - I've never before voiced this thought, but wondering whether you have an alternative that is just, say, S and/or X vehicles without the roadsters. Now before anyone kills me!! I love the roadster and keep thinking whether the wife should have one. :) But in this particular presentation, there isn't any prior discussion of the roadster. So in my mind, this presentation has become S plus X plus M3 (future). So unless you're already Tesla-knowledgeable, you might look at this slide and think, oh! those are pretty little cars! Are they Teslas? Are there any Teslas in the picture at all (yes, but they're in the background)?

Picture / animated GIF of skateboard - can you add text along the lines of,

"Skateboard" - battery pack, motor(s) & wheels

I finally found your PM and responded to you earlier today. Sorry about that delay.

Alan

I need the USD to remain, as currency isn't all that close, and I use this outside USA (and want to keep multiple versions of graphics to a minimum, aside from the range one graphic). I can certainly do "$35K usd".
I might be able to shrink the Model 3 graphic. Possibly reduce font size, but with the change to $35K usd, it might fit ok if I move it above the cars. Will see. Yes, space constraints are a bit of a challenge lol. Technically I don't think I can do it, but what might have been an answer is to have the graphic on top, the words on the bottom (where 'video' plays), and then have two videos play top and bottom next slide.

Mountain slide/roadsters... I get where you are coming from. Its a personal picture of mine, and I'm quite fond of it (so likely not removing it...). I've used it when talking to people to show them the first car Tesla made. it doesn't come up often in conversation, but it does come up, and it is nice having it to refer to. (Aside: I also have a number of hotwheels toy cars in packaging sitting in my front or around the car.. including roadsters. Hopefully Model X gets added to the collection).

Skateboard. I like the suggestion. I wasn't fond of the slide as is, but I couldn't find a better alternative source video, and did like the motion aspect vs just a still of the pack/chassis. Adding that text... won't be a piece of cake. I'll try to do it, but honestly may not get to it before the upcoming week of Drive Electric.