Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Sick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a model 3 with 20s on it (which does make ride more bumpy) and my 20 month old son has gotten car sick twice in the last 2 weeks. Never happened prior to now. My husband has always claimed the car makes him nauseous as well. Wondering if I should try setting regen to low. Don’t really want to spend the cash upgrading to a Y right now, but maybe I should consider that? Both times I made sure the back AC vents were on and it was a nice day today. Any thoughts? Hoping my heavier cybertruck with more tire will have a smoother ride.

Have a model 3 with 20s on it (which does make ride more bumpy) and my 20 month old son has gotten car sick twice in the last 2 weeks. Never happened prior to now. My husband has always claimed the car makes him nauseous as well. Wondering if I should try setting regen to low. Don’t really want to spend the cash upgrading to a Y right now, but maybe I should consider that? Both times I made sure the back AC vents were on and it was a nice day today. Any thoughts? Hoping my heavier cybertruck with more tire will have a smoother ride.
That's been a complaint with Teslas for a while. I'm not sure there's a definitive explanation as to why. Some blame outgassing of materials, while other think it may have to do with the acceleration.
Try using "chill" mode, low regen, and/or easing the acceleration and deceleration. Autopilot also has sharper speed-ups and slow-downs that make some people queasy.
The good news is that the effect seems to fade. I don't recall anyone ever saying they had to sell because of nausea.

Reactions: SlimJim and house9
That's been a complaint with Teslas for a while. I'm not sure there's a definitive explanation as to why. Some blame outgassing of materials, while other think it may have to do with the acceleration.
Try using "chill" mode, low regen, and/or easing the acceleration and deceleration. Autopilot also has sharper speed-ups and slow-downs that make some people queasy.
The good news is that the effect seems to fade. I don't recall anyone ever saying they had to sell because of nausea.

Not too big a reach to imagine that the motion sickness is from lack of auditory sensations to accompany the motion. Especially for passengers since theyre not controlling the accelerator. There's no sound to prep their body for the acceleration.

Rolling down the windows help. As well as deliberately maintaining speeds for longer, rather than yoyoing too much

Have a model 3 with 20s on it (which does make ride more bumpy) and my 20 month old son has gotten car sick twice in the last 2 weeks. Never happened prior to now. My husband has always claimed the car makes him nauseous as well. ...

I'm too familiar with motion sickness from slow oscillation (blea) but have never heard of it being caused by bumps.

Any chance his head is able to rest against hard plastic while you drive? That'd give me a headache and poor disposition.

Can't hurt to try low regen. Not sure how a Y would be any different than a 3 as far as nausea is concerned. Nausea occurs when the inner-ear senses and visual senses aren't synced. Lower g-forces which affect the inner-ear, will likely help.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
I don’t think it’s because of bumpiness or aggressive suspension. I experienced this very slightly on one of my first test drives in a P3D. Haven’t since, but I imagine it has something to do with the “fluidity” of the movement in an electric car. Looking out the window far ahead may help?

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
A coworker of mine has the same type of model 3 as me, and when I am with him as a passenger I will get nauseous. If I dare to look at my phone it is 100x worse. I just wrote if off as him being a more aggressive driver than I am (which he is).

However as a driver in my own car I never have a problem, even when I am quick with the acceleration/regen. So there is something to be said about anticipating the change.

most motion sickness isn't the bumpiness, its the forward/backward nodding caused by the drivers right foot.
As others have suggested, try chill mode and low regen until you get used to the sensitivity of the go pedal and can smooth the transitions.
An EV is much more sensitive to the transition between stopping and going.

It is possible to out smart motion sickness, but that's hard to explain to a toddler.

Everyone else has been too nice to say this, but, maybe we're having too much fun with the peppy acceleration and handling? Are we weaving and dodging our way down the road? Chillin' out could help and I don't just mean the accelerator setting.

Try to accelerate more smoothly (chill mode helps), and set regenerative braking to low. Teslas are more jerky because they're so quick and the regeneration doesn't allow coasting out of acceleration -- it's always acceleration followed by deceleration. The lack of engine noise cues exacerbates it for passengers, who can't anticipate it since they're not in control.