Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car skates or slides left to right under hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I touched on this in another post, but I put some time in today to get a better understanding regarding my concern. I did numerous runs, 0-60, 30-90, etc.. all keeping a close eye on what I was doing with the steering wheel vs how the car behaved. It's very clear that under hard throttle, even with the steering wheel perfectly straight, the car skates or slides left to right on it's own. Traction control isn't kicking in, no tire spin.

It's a really strange feeling. I know there have been numerous suggestions regarding bushings, torquing lug nuts, etc. I'm just not sure if this is how the car feels for a P85 without the Plus kit? Does anyone else have to correct the car under full throttle to keep it in a straight line?

I touched on this in another post, but I put some time in today to get a better understanding regarding my concern. I did numerous runs, 0-60, 30-90, etc.. all keeping a close eye on what I was doing with the steering wheel vs how the car behaved. It's very clear that under hard throttle, even with the steering wheel perfectly straight, the car skates or slides left to right on it's own. Traction control isn't kicking in, no tire spin.

It's a really strange feeling. I know there have been numerous suggestions regarding bushings, torquing lug nuts, etc. I'm just not sure if this is how the car feels for a P85 without the Plus kit? Does anyone else have to correct the car under full throttle to keep it in a straight line?

Do you mean if feels like the back 'wobbles' for a bit before it levels out and takes off? That's likely normal. Conti DWs aren't super sticky it seems and suspension isn't at tight as the P85+.

This is normal and is the reason for the P85+ option. Some have suggested that installing just the P85+ rear tires on a standard P85 might help but not eliminate the problem.

Thank you for the feedback. Is purchasing the wider OEM wheels an option, or am I looking at aftermarket at this point?

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean if feels like the back 'wobbles' for a bit before it levels out and takes off? That's likely normal. Conti DWs aren't super sticky it seems and suspension isn't at tight as the P85+.

I'm not sure I would say the back wobbles. It feels like even if already going 40mph, under full throttle the car actually strafes left to right and won't stay in a straight line

I'm not sure if this is a "feeling" type of thing or reality. The P85+ does feel better tho. As do new tires, rather than worn tires.

The P85+ tires alone might do it, but when shopping for new tires those weren't an option.

If going aftermarket for new wheels, I'm tempted to go 20" with the Mich Pilot Super Sport instead of the 21". Maybe in 10000 miles I'll give that a shot. :smile:

I'm not sure if this is a "feeling" type of thing or reality. The P85+ does feel better tho. As do new tires, rather than worn tires.

The P85+ tires alone might do it, but when shopping for new tires those weren't an option.

If going aftermarket for new wheels, I'm tempted to go 20" with the Mich Pilot Super Sport instead of the 21". Maybe in 10000 miles I'll give that a shot. :smile:

Well for me it's certainly reality. Reality in the sense that if I accelerate under full throttle, keep the wheel straight, and don't correct - I'll be in another lane lol

@Fonzie: This week, our Phoenix Tesla service folks fielded a team to those of us in Tucson. While they were picking the nits on my MS85, they loaned me a P85+. Tucson roads are not conducive to wringing out all of Tesla's quirks, but I can definitely agree that under certain conditions these beasts will squirm! I tried a number of level and uphill rapid accelerations without noticing anything more than superb pickup. Then, I turned right from a stop sign, straightened out, and carved a giant "S" in my lane, as the rear went left and then right under full acceleration. Flat, dry, paved road. Having over half a century of driving behind me, there was no control problem, but it sure got my attention. Totally different from my MS85.

Checked torque specs on lug nuts today, and they were right at 129 ft lbs.. So I checked that off the list.

Going in to visit the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully I can have someone drive the car and give me an idea of what's going on.

Checked torque specs on lug nuts today, and they were right at 129 ft lbs.. So I checked that off the list.

Going in to visit the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully I can have someone drive the car and give me an idea of what's going on.

May be quicker to simply have them check the alignment first. As near I can tell from your description it is what we were experiencing. The cause was alignment in our case.

Going to dealership tomorrow - hoping they have time for an alignment check. The more I test this, the more it almost feels like under hard throttle the nose of the car wobbles left to right instead of following a straight line.

Going to dealership tomorrow - hoping they have time for an alignment check. The more I test this, the more it almost feels like under hard throttle the nose of the car wobbles left to right instead of following a straight line.

How much tread on your tires and what rims/tires do you have? I assume you have 21" rims with Conti DWs. I get the same sensation briefly with hard acceleration but am down to 4mm tread depth. Tires just aren't sticky enough for the power.