Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Squeaking when coming to complete stop (only with 21" Performance Wheels)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put 22s on my model X and have the exact same problem. My 20" wheels had no issue at all. It has been raining here since putting them on so maybe it's just when they are wet and they are resonating. Either way it's annoying.

Mickie, I agree the 21" wheels are the main issue and my findings were turning the wheel stationary produces it all the time like everyone else. But I definitely noticed it went away when pulling up to the lights/stop sign after turning regen to low and the brakes had to be used more. I'm not suggesting that was the oxidisation theory, I'm just saying it made a difference (but not eliminated) once the brakes were getting used.
That’s definitely an interesting find. Still silly to have to resort to such measures. But anything to not sound like a garbage truck pulling up to the red light, right?

Ok I just switched out my 21’s for 19’s this evening and I can confirm the squeak is gone. It was doing it earlier today on 21’s. Just rode the 19’s around the block and brakes are smooth as butter. This is definitely a 21 thing.

Ok I just switched out my 21’s for 19’s this evening and I can confirm the squeak is gone. It was doing it earlier today on 21’s. Just rode the 19’s around the block and brakes are smooth as butter. This is definitely a 21 thing.

Yeah. I drove a loaner car MX with stock 22” turbines and it had the same issue. Must be a large wheel resonance problem.

Perhaps a thin spacer between the hub and rim would solve the problem. It's common in machine shops to add a thin aluminium sheet (soda can) between the part and milling machine bed. You could do the same with thin cardboard or aluminium sheet as a test then once the solution is known Tesla can provide a permanent fix. The spacer can change the frequency of the vibrations to be beyond human hearing.

Just got mine back from service. They could not replicate it. I emphasized that it ONLY happens on 21s. I've been driving 19s for over 5 years and never had this. The tech had some good guesses as to the change, like "larger rolling mass" due to the 21s and causing the car to rock back, therefore causing a noise. I'll just have to live with it during my summer wheel (21in Arachnids) months. It's almost like my car (Dec 2013 S on springs) doesnt play well with the new toys. :(

I have 21 arachnids and lately I actually have to brake a bit aggressively about 2x a day to clean the pads/rotor I guess. Seems to work. No squeak now for weeks.

I don’t mean mash them to the point of warping them lol. Just a nice aggressive brake from 80kph down to zero...like a late brake to a traffic light.

So far so good. Ridiculous that I should have to do this.

Last edited:
I've always kept standard on. One of the suggestions from service was to run Low Regen with the 21s, or just in general every once in a while for proper rotor wear. Car is going on 6 years old with 60k on original rotors and brakes.

I'll report back if I notice anything but this is really stumping me. All the other issues I've had through the years were easily explained away after reading a couple forum posts or asking Tesla a few questions.

I’ve taken this to Tesla 4x....they always say the same thing “oh you just need to break them in harder”, they do it, and it comes back anyway. Ive had them also say they can’t replicate it, so I recorded it, 2 sep times. It’s super lame. Happens longer/louder after rain/car wash.

One of the suggestions from service was to run Low Regen with the 21s
After having mine on Low Regen for several weeks I am convinced this is the only solution we are going to get. I'm willing to trade off some range and brake wear if it means I don't sound like a garbage truck doing its rounds (someone else on here used that analogy, I can't take credit).

Just picked up my car from Tesla, here is what they said

upload_2019-6-27_9-26-58.png

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
That is not a valid explanation as to why it happens when you are stationary and you turn the wheel, in fact that is when it is at its worst.
I suspect they did not even test it, they just saw 'squeaky brakes' as the complaint and copy/paste a generic response.
I am of the suspicion it is a resonance happening, either the rim itself or something else in the steering mechanism.

Last edited: