Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash experiences feedback please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using the sort where the car is sent down a motorized track with no one in it are asking for trouble as the car won't stay in neutral with no weight in the seat unless in tow mode. Any where the attendant ride through in the car are going to be the same problem - the attendant not knowing how to keep the car in neutral.

Riding through the track kind with you in the drivers seat is better, although the odds of getting rim damage from the rails is high if you don't line up right.

I use a drive in (no tracks) touch-free when it is too hot for me to be able to hand wash in my driveway or if there are drought restrictions.

Highly recommend you look into two-bucket or one-bucket method of rinseless/waterless wash. If you must go to carwashes, use touchless only, or places that really really know how to wash/operate Tesla's.

This is the kind of nightmware you want to avoid: Bad, bad carwash

I took my X through a KAADY Carwash which is an automatic carwash in Oregon and while I was going through I decided to dust off my dash. Reaching to do so my butt lifted off the drivers seat and doing do threw my car into P. Not know what the hell was going the car behind me was lamming into my car over and over. It took about 1 minute for it carwash to stop. I was completed freaked out. Getting the car back into neutral while freaking out was impossible.

Anyway, minor damage to my liftgate and because it was aluminum it had to be replaced, total was $9K for a minor dent. Took me about 6 months before I could go through a carwash again.

043.JPG

040.JPG

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Need and P85_DA
I took my X through a KAADY Carwash which is an automatic carwash in Oregon and while I was going through I decided to dust off my dash. Reaching to do so my butt lifted off the drivers seat and doing do threw my car into P. Not know what the hell was going the car behind me was lamming into my car over and over. It took about 1 minute for it carwash to stop. I was completed freaked out. Getting the car back into neutral while freaking out was impossible.

Anyway, minor damage to my liftgate and because it was aluminum it had to be replaced, total was $9K for a minor dent. Took me about 6 months before I could go through a carwash again.

View attachment 322789
View attachment 322790

Ouch! Sorry to hear!

use the track car wash all the time. absolutely no issues at all. After reading this thread I am going to keep my bum on the seat though... LOL. Could care less if it damages the paint over time. Even bucket washing you need to be really careful. There is no foolproof plan. Most of the swirls will buff out. With the exception to that lift gate above.... Dang

Reactions: cgrubbe
I went waterless—and it is great—with microfiber towels. Of course I have Cquartz and keep my Model 3 in the garage, but I do drive for work...4500 Miles in 2 months. I use the waterless once a week unless I have driven through a bug storm. If needed I will take it in to detail shop that did my cquartz if I can’t get it clean and have them do a proper 2 bucket wash for $40.

Attachments

• FC4DC7CB-A2D6-4DC9-BFED-965032169DC4.jpeg
    FC4DC7CB-A2D6-4DC9-BFED-965032169DC4.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: P85_DA
I went waterless—and it is great—with microfiber towels. Of course I have Cquartz and keep my Model 3 in the garage, but I do drive for work...4500 Miles in 2 months. I use the waterless once a week unless I have driven through a bug storm. If needed I will take it in to detail shop that did my cquartz if I can’t get it clean and have them do a proper 2 bucket wash for $40.

Thanks for the helpful info.

If you would like to know how to do a proper wash yourself I would love to help out and show how to do a proper rinseless wash using Optimum No Rinse.

I am a detailer and do this everyday and would love to help anyway that I can.

The OP is in California ...maybe help out by listing out your method for ONR as many people use it here ;)

ONR (Optimum No Rinse) wash method is the way I wash my car. (In California as well and I don't like to wash water)

Since I have my Model 3 ceramic coated and full front wrapped in PPF it's even easier to wash and maintain my car. I do a maintenance wash once a week to avoid dust and dirt from building up causing potential scratching and swirl marks.

How much effort you put in maintaining and protecting your car will show in your car tbh.

The OP is in California ...maybe help out by listing out your method for ONR as many people use it here ;)

Not a problem :) for those of you who are more visual learners here is a Youtube video

• For step by step you will want a single 5 gallon bucket with either a grit guard or two 5 gallon buckets stacked on top of each other and holes drilled into the top one.
  • Fill the bucket with 4 gallons of water
  • Using the cap on the 32 oz bottle add 4 capfuls of ONR to bucket
  • Put the Big Red Sponge in bucket. If it is a new sponge allow it to soak for a couple of hours
  • Pressure wash vehicle prior to wash to get large debris off
  • Pull sponge out and give a gentle one handed squeeze. You should have enough water in the sponge that when tipped on its side a little bit of water runs out.
  • GENTLY rub the sponge on the surface. You are essentially applying ONR to the surface. Let the sponge and ONR do the work for you.
  • And then simply spray on your protection of choice (I like Optiseal but use whatever you like) and dry with a drying towel!

For hand wash where you get out and then the crew will occasionally get in your car and move it up a few spots as space opens up in front, are there issues if you leave keycard in car but have phone on you? Does car constantly want to shut off / not turn on because of that?

I don't let anyone else wash my cars. Non-owners damage cars.
I continue to use the local wash where I remain in the car during the wash/dry cycles, and then dry/detail/vac myself.
Once I learned the Model 3 nuances (fold the mirrors, auto-wipers set to off, car in neutral) it has been a breeze, with no damage to the car.
This method also allows me a detailed inspection of the body each time I wash the car, which I view as important particularly during the bumper to bumper warranty period and given that I have a fairly early build.

I am in the research stage on buying a new model three. I’d appreciate any feedback from owners experiences, with carwashes. Anyone had problems?

Here is my experience with my local carwash:

1. Pull car out of garage.

2. Fill three buckets with water (third bucket is for wheels only). Also add Meguairs Gold Class or CG Citrus Wash to wash bucket and a drop of ONR do wash and rinse buckets.

3. Use good quality wash mitt (I use CG's wash mitt)

4. Rinse car first (I am not in Cali - we still have a bit of water left up here - not much but I can still rinse -for now).

5. Wash (I actually do wheels first because I use a separate bucket and separate wash tools, plus I hate washing wheels and tires)

6. Spray each panel with one shot of Opti-Seal, to help as a drying agent and simultaneoulsy wax the car (lazy man's wax job)

7. Dry with a waffle weave

8. Put chair in location where car is visibile. Sit in char and ask 13 year old son to bring you a beer/scotch/wine/cooler/martini etc.. and enjoy your handy work, knowing that your precious car is safe.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
ONR (Optimum No Rinse) wash method is the way I wash my car. (In California as well and I don't like to wash water)

Since I have my Model 3 ceramic coated and full front wrapped in PPF it's even easier to wash and maintain my car. I do a maintenance wash once a week to avoid dust and dirt from building up causing potential scratching and swirl marks.

How much effort you put in maintaining and protecting your car will show in your car tbh.

Can you provide a link on where you buy the ONR?