Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode - Instructions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model 3 through a car wash for the first time today. A little over halfway through it, my Neutral went into Auto Park! I guess it thought I was sitting idle and decided to go into Park! I got a little stuck in there with a car behind me approaching. I put it in Drive then back to Neutral.

Anyone know how to keep the car from going into Auto Park while you're in Neutral?

I took my Model 3 through a car wash for the first time today. A little over halfway through it, my Neutral went into Auto Park! I guess it thought I was sitting idle and decided to go into Park! I got a little stuck in there with a car behind me approaching. I put it in Drive then back to Neutral.

Anyone know how to keep the car from going into Auto Park while you're in Neutral?

Great question! I have not run through one of these. I went through a "parked" auto car wash and just shut my car off.

Tow mode.

Tow Mode should be under the Service menu in the car. I'm not exactly sure how long or how far you can be in that mode. I've always put my car into neutral when getting it washed.

Try this: with your car on a flat spot of ground and the doors closed, put it in neutral and then start lifting yourself up off the driver's seat and/or shift your weight forward. You'll eventually see the car go into Park.

Tow Mode should be under the Service menu in the car. I'm not exactly sure how long or how far you can be in that mode. I've always put my car into neutral when getting it washed.

Try this: with your car on a flat spot of ground and the doors closed, put it in neutral and then start lifting yourself up off the driver's seat and/or shift your weight forward. You'll eventually see the car go into Park.

Maybe I did lift myself up a little on the seat. I’ll try this. I remember when I was in the wash I turned to look toward the back seat like I was paranoid water was going to come in through the back windows lol!

Another thing, when I drove out of the wash and after I vacuumed it I noticed the side mirror had been pushed forward out of place. Next time I gotta remember to fold those in. Tesla needs to add an automatic car wash mode lol!

One other thing with a car wash, if you have it in Hold mode, you have to change it to creep or roll mode, or else the car wash won't be able to pull you through because it will "Hold" you - found that out the hard way.

Why would it be any different from an ICE car?!? Neutral is neutral, that's why they put neutral in the system. D is not N, doesn't matter if it's is roll, creep or hold mode.

People, do not leave is in D with roll on. Please shift to N.

For years automakers had "Premium fuel only" on their gas caps. In bed with big oil
They always recommended oil changes every 3,000mi...Until they started packaging it as a sales tactic with free maintenance on the vehicle for three years, then all of a sudden it was ok for the car to go 7,000-10,000 miles between oil changes. Magic. When they have to pay for it suddenly its way less needed.
The cars were rated for HP and mileage on premium so running regular retarded the spark reducing mileage and HP so you were not getting what was advertised and certified by the EPA.

We need this:

Mercedes GLE

B220F8C1-F12C-41C1-BBB8-3601AAA20BA7.jpeg

I've used both the track system car wash and belt system. Both were hand wash no brushes. The track system a worker would stay in the car to insure neutral while on the track . On the Belt system, since the belt is the width of the car no one needs to be inside and the car can and should be in park. Worker then either uses the card to enter or the card was left inside so unlocked. I always standby with my phone prepared to unlock at end of wash just in case but never needed. BTW, to prevent rim rash in track system, I installed wider tires. (245/40R19). The extra 10mm had a "bead" to help prevent rim rub and the 5mm beyond rim worked. As a side benefit, the tires have a higher load rating than factory to help prevent road damage.

The tricky thing here is that my car goes into "Hold" when I come to a stop, and you (apparently) can't go directly from "Hold" to Neutral. I wanted my instructions to be 100% idiot-proof, and going into Park first seems to be the best way to avoid that feeling of "huh, I'm holding the gear shift lever down for two seconds, why isn't it going into Neutral?!?"
Your car goes into hold when you gently but firmly press on the brake AFTER you have come to a complete stop. Not otherwise

Before I went through my first car I researched exactly how to do it, putting the car in N. What I did not realize was that if you touch the steering wheel or any controls it sets the brake immediately. Several trips to car washes over the next 18 months with no issues. Then all of a sudden, I am in a car wash and no way can I get it to stay in N. As soon as it starts to roll it sets the brake. I had to back up and leave without a wash.

After some more research I found the Towing procedure in the owner's manual. I went to a car wash and practiced the procedure just before rolling in. It worked first time, flawlessly. Made another trip to a different car wash, same result, no problems.

Yesterday, I am at the car wash and once again practiced setting Towing procedure and the car rolled, no problem. Once I pulled onto the conveyor, Towing procedure will absolutely not work. Roller after roller lifts up the car after it sets the brake. After about 6 tries, I give up and try N. Now THAT works when it didn't before and Towing does not! I am on software ver. 2020.48.35.5 which was uploaded recently. I am guessing that various software updates changed both Towing and Neutral functionality, but I can't be sure.

I am fully in favor of a Car Wash button under controls and not buried under Service or someplace else.

I've experienced the anxiety of approaching a car wash in my Model 3 numerous times. I find it hard to remember what to do, and how to do it (especially how to get into Neutral). Searching the web brings various bits of advice and video snippets, but I've yet to find a comprehensive, step-by-step guide on what to do.

So, I created one, printed it out, and put it in my center console for quick reference. It's relieved car wash anxiety for me. :) I thought others might find it helpful.

View attachment 576650

I've also attached this in PDF form for easy printing.
Very nice, make another one for long term parking maximum battery conservation.

Car Wash Mode would be pretty sweet!

I was told, after I got my PPF installed, to never use one of those automatic car washes. I definitely didn't at all as long as the weather was good! But in the winter here in Colorado, when my car is covered in that road salt, I actually really need to wash my car and can't really break out the hose. So, to the car wash it is! I've actually not had a problem with it removing paint, although I didn't do it like every day or anything. I think the most I ran it through was 1x/week when the roads were all gross.

I hadn't gone through the car was in about 9 months the last time I did, though, and WOW! I totally forgot all 3 things mentioned in this guide and had to very quickly remember! Obviously folding mirrors and turning off wipers was fine, but when it came to switching it to Neutral ... definitely should have practiced first!

Either way, this is a great reminder. Nice job. Not sure I'd need to print it out and leave it in my vehicle, but still it's useful info!