Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode PLEASE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to so totally disagree with this statement. I've used automatic car washes for probably over 30 years. And I'd place my cars up against most any other car. Matter of fact, I just about always get a "your car is how old?" response.

Keeping the car cleaned and washed and stored in a garage is by far the best way to take care of it. Heck, just leaving it sitting outside is going to cause so much damage in very few years.

Well we can agree to disagree, but I will agree with you that garaging a car is overall the best way to keep it looking good.

Car washes use pretty harsh soaps and very low grade sealers. Touchless ones don't do a horrible job but any of them that touch your car ARE scratching it, and it's pretty obvious if you look at the finish in bright sunlight.

If you're happy with what you're getting out of it more power to you.

I wash mine with a pressure washer and a foam lance, two water buckets, microfiber wash mitts and some microfiber towels for drying. It sounds like a lot of stuff but I can typically do a car in about 25-30 minutes and it will look better than anything an automatic car wash is going to do.

If I was in a job/profession where I needed my car to look perfect every day and the car looking presentable was more important than the car looking new then sure I'd blow $500-$800 on an unlimited wash service at one of the better ones around and just wash it every few days, but I don't have time for that crap.

Between them running it through, vacuuming it, drying it off, doing the wheels, it takes 20-30 minutes at all of the ones I've been to. If I'm going to waste that much time I just do it myself, and I don't even have to leave a tip.

Reactions: devilmountain
I originally thought I would keep this Model 3 for 6-7 years but now I'm thinking there will be a lot of improvements to these cars in 3-4 years time. power hatchback option, power-close frunk, adjustable headrest. LIDAR!

I might end up just doing a minimal PPF on the front end of the car and a basic ceramic on it... with an eye towards flipping it in 3-4 years for whatever upgraded version replaces it.

Yup, exactly...

That's my problem - remembering to turn it off. Three things I need to do: fold mirrors, turn auto wipers off and make sure brakes are not in Hold. Maybe a car wash mode will help with that :)

If you can remember to go into car wash mode.....you should be able to remember to turn the wipers off.

Why are you folding your mirrors?

Oh wait....are you going through brushes in the car wash? I ONLY use brushless here.

I thought PPF installers say specifically NOT to go through car washes (hand wash only) so you don't damage the PPF/ coatings that cost thousands of dollars to apply. As I understand, some of the companies actually give you tags to hang on your mirror when you're at the Service Center that say NOT to wash the car since it's got PPF/ coating on it.

In another setting, I once wrote (lightly edited for clarity and detail)
Valets have no real use for map, audio controls, etc.; on the Model 3, that's everything other than the bottom edge and left third. (And I could argue for suppressing parts of those.)

Placing the car in Valet Mode should replace the entire area with large-print-and-drawing context sensitive helpful hint display, like how to open the doors after stopping. It could also add a "car wash?" button that brings up an explanation of how to neutral and turns auto-wipers off.

Reactions: TT97
If your car wash requires a person to exit the vehicle, or you might shift your butt off the seat while rolling, you need to put the car in Transport Mode.

Controls/Service/Towing/Transport Mode

The car goes into neutral and will not apply the parking brake or shift into drive for about 20 minutes. This mode is designed for free rolling (onto a flatbed or on a car wash conveyor).

Yes, but it goes nuts trying to get you to stop and not get "hit" lol
I'm fully aware of that.

I go through the car wash at least 3 times a week. <--- touchless car wash.

All I do is turn off auto-wipers. Then I listen to the bings and dings of the sensors for a min.

Then I step on the accelerator ( because its still in drive ) and I go.

I NEVER let them dry it off with those towels with micro-rocks (sand) from the previous car in them.

I don't like that while in Transport Mode (Towing) the app shows the car as PARKED. Tesla needs to update the app to acknowledge when the car is free rolling. I was nervous the whole time.

Luckily, my local car wash place works on a lot of Teslas and they knew what to do. It took two attempts tho as the first try the car applied the e-brake. You could see the car lift as it locked down. Luckily we both saw this and he jumped in the car to reapply Tow mode.

Another issue...closing the doors takes an unusually large amount of force so they almost didnt close one door enough to roll the window up. Would have been water world in the car...SO BE DILIGENT!

Reactions: scottm
i go through the automatic car wash every 3 days and found it quite easy. i have creep on, autowipers off (it has rained twice in the past year), and mirrors sticking out unfolded. all i do is put it in neutral and let the guide rollers on the floor move the car through the track.

It's so easy to get into Neutral.

You know how the turn signal is a 2-stage lever? Both levers are basically the same, just different in software. Just hold the shifter stick up to the 1st notch (not reverse) and hold it there for 2 seconds. Doesn't matter what you're doing with the pedals; I always hold the brake anyway out of habit.

The problem is being at the end of the tunnel and being unable to get the car back into "D" without pressing the brake (you should never, ever brake in the tunnel, and it'll cause heart attacks and possible yells/honks if you do). So I've been practicing a lightning-quick brake-tap and shift to "D" at the same time, and it's worked pretty well. However, no other car I've ever been in requires you to press the brake to shift from N to D. From P to D, of course, yes. But never from N to D. Only Tesla does that, and it's absolutely terrifying for first-timers.

I can't for the life of me understand why people don't go through the carwash in drive ( with creep off ).

It works just fine. I've done it for 2 months now.
First, even ICE are told to shift to Neutral. Second, our car washes do not always let you stay in your car. You exit and the car is pulled via a roller. Once you lift off the seat the car goes into Park and applies the e-brake, which can cause damage as your car is dragged. Bad for the motors.

i go through the automatic car wash every 3 days and found it quite easy. i have creep on, autowipers off (it has rained twice in the past year), and mirrors sticking out unfolded. all i do is put it in neutral and let the guide rollers on the floor move the car through the track.
Again, that only works if you don’t exit the car. A lot of places have you leave the car and watch from inside the building as the car is pulled via rollers.

Example of my STI:

9DAC930C-D26B-41F1-859E-6E17D09A6530.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: notrhj and GeoX750
First, even ICE are told to shift to Neutral. Second, our car washes do not always let you stay in your car. You exit and the car is pulled via a roller. Once you lift off the seat the car goes into Park and applies the e-brake, which can cause damage as your car is dragged. Bad for the motors.

Again, that only works if you don’t exit the car. A lot of places have you leave the car and watch from inside the building as the car is pulled via rollers.

Example of my STI:

View attachment 344533
The post right above yours is my point. Getting the car out of neutral to drive requires a brake press.

Lastly.....There are absolutely no carwashes in my area in Chicago that requires one to get out of their car. I can't imagine why that would be a requirement.

The post right above yours is my point. Getting the car out of neutral to drive requires a brake press.

Lastly.....There are absolutely no carwashes in my area in Chicago that requires one to get out of their car. I can't imagine why that would be a requirement.
These are brushless, so there are people inside who literally use mits to rub the soap/water on the car. My guess is that it’s safer without the potential of a driver hitting the gas and injuring the worker. Then after the car comes out they hand dry and detail the inside. Also, it sends us inside where they have junk for sale.