Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash or hand wash?

Do you use Drive-Through Car Washes?

• Yes

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I was hoping to gather some information from you on how you wash your model X.

I am about 3 months into owning a Model X and am loving it. I have however been reading on forums and elsewhere people saying that they absolutely never take their X through a car wash. Others say only sometimes, etc.

I live in Connecticut. This winter has been a relatively mild winter but the salt on the road is just as bad as ever. I had a hard time explaining this to my friend from Florida... most southerners never experience the harsh conditions. If you don't know what I am talking about Google Images search "salty car". Salty-Car - Google Search
I have been finding that my white X gets noticeably dirty probably about every 3-4 days with extensive highway driving. If I wait a week the car looks absolutely terrible. Because of the freezing temperatures all the outdoor hoses are turned off and drained for the winter so washing at home can only be done with a bucket of water from inside. This is not practical as frequently as it needs to be done.

Before my Tesla I had a Honda CR-Z that I would take through the car wash once a week during the winter months since mid 2012. (big upgrade). I can't say I noticed any damage to the car from the car wash. Only once did my wheel skip the track and damage the rim but that was my own fault.

I am wondering what the community has to say about the X and car washes. Are they really that bad as some claim they are? Are there any car wash users that can attest to frequent use?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I have a Model 3 and I think somewhere in the owners manual (which I did read when I first got the car) it said use touchless washes to avoid damage to the sensors etc. In winter I use those and in summer I get my nephews to hand wash it for me in exchange for some pocket money :)

...absolutely never take their X through a car wash...

I can't answer the poll because it should say

1) touchless car wash

2) Lots of brushes car wash

Just like @agni_ban , I am perfectly fine to run my Tesla through a touchless Drive-through Car wash.

I would stay away from those with rollers, brushes that touch your car because not only they are abrasive, they can also break off and steal parts of your car such as windshield wipers, side mirrors, and especially, your Model X spoiler!

I have taken my Model 3 thru a touch less car wash a few times but I mainly hand wash mine in my driveway. It’s getting a little dicey now with the cold weather (water turned off) and car is pretty dirty. Plan on running it thru a car wash on a milder day. In the 30’s now during day and teens at night.

ABCF7215-0088-4E8C-910F-F1590C222286.jpeg
B6A370B8-35AA-4B6F-BF9F-2913E267AB78.jpeg
Hello! I was hoping to gather some information from you on how you wash your model X.

I am about 3 months into owning a Model X and am loving it. I have however been reading on forums and elsewhere people saying that they absolutely never take their X through a car wash. Others say only sometimes, etc.

I live in Connecticut. This winter has been a relatively mild winter but the salt on the road is just as bad as ever. I had a hard time explaining this to my friend from Florida... most southerners never experience the harsh conditions. If you don't know what I am talking about Google Images search "salty car". Salty-Car - Google Search
I have been finding that my white X gets noticeably dirty probably about every 3-4 days with extensive highway driving. If I wait a week the car looks absolutely terrible. Because of the freezing temperatures all the outdoor hoses are turned off and drained for the winter so washing at home can only be done with a bucket of water from inside. This is not practical as frequently as it needs to be done.

Before my Tesla I had a Honda CR-Z that I would take through the car wash once a week during the winter months since mid 2012. (big upgrade). I can't say I noticed any damage to the car from the car wash. Only once did my wheel skip the track and damage the rim but that was my own fault.

I am wondering what the community has to say about the X and car washes. Are they really that bad as some claim they are? Are there any car wash users that can attest to frequent use?

Thanks all!
The way my car looks every time I drive up to Lake Tahoe to ski .

I'd tend to think that a lot of spray wand (don't ever get really close with a spray wand) or touchless washes just to keep knocking the gunk off, and the periodically some better washes.
Making sure that the car has some sort of coating, at least a good wax job will help.

I live in a farming area that has muddy roads after the rain( from tractors and pickups from the fields) and use a subscription car wash plan. Flat rate per month for unlimited washes, with brushes. I use Optimum no rinse car wash when I am motivated to do it by hand. You only need 2 gal of water in a bucket and it does a nice job.

brushed car washes with swirl the paint badly. if that matters to you, hand wash only. if you dont care, then go ahead. none of my cars ever go through an auto wash, nor a touchless. the PH levels in the soaps in both are very high and are harsh on any car paint / trim.

i'm a car detailing nut, so take that into account.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
depending on the time i have and how dirty it is. i've done a dozen or more through the drive-thru wash. probably as many hand-washes.
Getting older and about to go for spinal surgery number 2, those hand washing / polishing sure takes longer and longer.

Reactions: Transformer