Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will not allow reengagement of Autosteer until parked if user ignores repeated warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla should offer an Online Safety Training program, which is registered to the Car and Driver profile.

Upon completion of the course and sign-off of liability/waivers, etc - an "Advanced Auto Pilot" mode can be activated (OTA, Token PIN or Car Web Browser), which overrides or reduces some of these new risk controls being introduced.

Sort of like the Segway App; which requires you to go through several training exercises before it will unlock the speed limiter, etc...

I truly believe Tesla would like to treat Responsible Adults like Responsible Adults.. I hope they continue in that spirit.
That is an interesting idea. Although, Elon specifically stated that the users that create the most problems are the "experts." Those people would easily pass any safety test, then go back to their typical driving habits.

Reactions: davidc18
That is an interesting idea. Although, Elon specifically stated that the users that create the most problems are the "experts." Those people would easily pass any safety test, then go back to their typical driving habits.

I agree with Elon... however increased education can help (in small amounts)... and like I mentioned, I believe Tesla also wants to 'treat Adults like Adults'... to do that, Tesla needs a bit more "CYA" to cover themselves from "Experts" who do dumb things (like watching movies or defeating the hand check with a Bean Bag on the wheel ).

There will always need to be a balance of risk between Convenience and Annoyance, pivoting on Safety; Tesla needs to build a stronger 'CYA' umbrella to mitigate some of that risk (and maybe some better tech to support it).

"Flight" Pilots get trained on how to use AutoPilot; not just a blurb in a manual and a notification on the screen. Maybe "Drivers" need the same.

Last edited:
Sorry to start a another new thread out of many regarding v8.0, but I thought that this could be deserving of it's own discussion.

The title says it all: per the bullet point in Elon's blog "Car will not allow reengagement of Autosteer until parked if user ignores repeated warnings." I would like to know more about this. From what I have read from a news briefing, the alert will be much more noticeable, with a flashing white outline around the IC. Good. I'm all for that. So, when does this come up, and how many times will this new nag occur before shutting down AP entirely? Is this the first nag, or the second or third?

Personally, I believe that we should always be alert and ready to take over. What if I am relaxing, watching the road, and a nag comes up. I make sure the car know I am there and in control, relax for a bit, only to get a nag several minutes later. On the third occasion, am I out? Or, is it for the more serious nags only?

I believe more information might have been given at the actual press conference, but I am not privy to that. Perhaps somebody has more details, or perhaps we just have to wait a few weeks to find out ourselves.

Good

It might be the first thing I've ever taken exception to of Elon's doing, but I must do so with his use of "Expert" here.

If he is suggesting that Expert Tesla Autopilot drivers tug to dismiss warnings while not paying attention to the road, then I'd like to know if he's using expert with air quotes... I recoil in horror to imagine someone hearing a chime, and tugging the wheel all while not paying any real attention to the large heavy moving mass at your control, and the things that it may impact.

It might be the first thing I've ever taken exception to of Elon's doing, but I must do so with his use of "Expert" here.

I think the better word would have been "Experienced"; which infers Autopilot drivers become more trusting of the system over time.

"New" AP drivers instinctively grip the wheel and are likely paying more attention than they would normally as they obviously have less trust in the system.

Elon's choice of words and context, does seem to imply that "Expert" drivers are being less careful. While factual, this is due to human nature rather than "Experts" being intentionally flagrant. That said, I believe Elon's words, while ill-phrased for OUR consumption, were exceptionally calculated for the media.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and davidc18
a little birdy told me the first time you hear an audio tone with the display "Hold the Steering Wheel", you have 2 warnings left.

Little birdy also told me it's a complete nuisance and perhaps more dangerous because you are inclined to pull off the road to re-enable it.

If I'm watching the road, as I am most of the time, I'm not staring at the instrument cluster and often miss the little "Hold Steering Wheel" annunciator. Then, as Elon describes, it beeps and I tug the wheel and all is good.

So this sounds like it's going to cause me to spend more time looking at the instrument cluster and less time looking at the road. How is that safer?

Really? So do you never get a "Hold Steering Wheel" message? Because, in my experience, the car can't detect hands on the wheel unless you apply some torque. Simply resting your hands on the wheel isn't sufficient.

All of your complaints would be avoided on this if you simply did what the instructions ask you to do which is keep your freaking hand(s) on the freaking wheel... I drive with at least one hand on and have yet to trigger the audible warning unless I was actively trying to do so...

Jeff

Really? So do you never get a "Hold Steering Wheel" message? Because, in my experience, the car can't detect hands on the wheel unless you apply some torque. Simply resting your hands on the wheel isn't sufficient.
I get the message, but it never gets close to the audible sound for me. It often lasts about a second and then goes away. I'm not sure if this is because it's supposed to do that or because I react by moving the steering wheel a bit more from noticing the message with peripheral vision.

Granted I do use force with my hands to turn the wheel regardless of the car steering as well, so that even if the car steered the opposite way on a turn, my car wouldn't get close to exiting the lane because it would immediately return control of steering to me. And I do take my hands off the wheel periodically when I feel it's safe to do so for a moment, and potentially do some quick, distracting task but otherwise my hands are always on the steering wheel. It probably makes a difference whether you're just resting your hands on the wheel as it steers or if you are redundantly steering the car with your hands.

Last edited:

Yep, really and correct, I never get a "Hold Steering Wheel" message unless I'm actively trying to... I drive one handed most of the time so apparently the way I'm hold the wheel is sufficient...

Jeff

It depends on how you hold the wheel, and also what sort of road you're on. If you're on a curvy road so the car is always steering a bit, then it has an easier time seeing torque from your hand. On a road that's perfectly straight, you have to make sure your hand is somewhat off to the side or it won't see anything.

OK, I couldn't help myself. :D

uuH23A.jpg

All of your complaints would be avoided on this if you simply did what the instructions ask you to do which is keep your freaking hand(s) on the freaking wheel... I drive with at least one hand on and have yet to trigger the audible warning unless I was actively trying to do so...

Jeff

I have no use for autosteer when my hands are one the wheel since when my hands are on the wheel I'm steering myself.

I have no use for autosteer when my hands are one the wheel since when my hands are on the wheel I'm steering myself.

Right... Surely you're going to be more reasonable than that??? I'm not firmly gripping the wheel with my hands at 10 and 2... I'm simply keeping two\three fingers on it so when the wheel nudges ever so slightly to check resistance (which is what i'm pretty sure the system is doing to check if you're there), my slight hold gives the system what it needs to know I'm there.

I don't see what is wrong with that or why you'd react in such a manor to that? This isn't a fully autonomous driving car as we've been over a billion times on TMC.

Jeff

I'm not firmly gripping the wheel with my hands at 10 and 2... I'm simply keeping two\three fingers on it so when the wheel nudges ever so slightly to check resistance (which is what i'm pretty sure the system is doing to check if you're there), my slight hold gives the system what it needs to know I'm there.

I don't see what is wrong with that or why you'd react in such a manor to that? This isn't a fully autonomous driving car as we've been over a billion times on TMC.

Jeff

Nothing wrong with that, but that's how I already drive without autopilot. Don't need auto steer if I'm steering myself. That doesn't mean I ever take my eyes of the road but if my fingers are on the wheel, I prefer to drive myself.

Jeff
Jeff, for lots of us, that is just plain not true. I can hang my hand on the wheel and it still does not sense it.