Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wow M3 drag race. Surprising result

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be worth thinking about switching to the LR based on this carwow video pitching the LR against the P

Interesting video.

I have been seriously considering switching to a P from an LR order before watching this.

Now it feels like £10k extra for a bigger set of wheels seems like a lot of money.... They are so close in every other respect, it's the only big difference!

Interesting video.

I have been seriously considering switching to a P from an LR order before watching this.

Now it feels like £10k extra for a bigger set of wheels seems like a lot of money.... They are so close in every other respect, it's the only big difference!
If you are not planning any track days, don't care about the wheels or potentially losing a couple of car lengths to a P at the traffic lights, then it is a lot of money. The LR is also a bit more refined with less road noise and a more compliant ride. If it really matters you can also get at least one car length back with the acceleration boost for £1500. I never bothered myself, the LR is already a very quick car in its own right.

When the 3 first came out I was convinced I would get the P version. But back then the premium for a P was much less and you could spec it with UK road friendly wheels and suspension. By the time I came to order one late last year, the LR was by then nearly as quick as the P was at launch and the price differential much larger. So I chose the LR and have no regrets whatsoever.

Interesting video.

I was thinking of going from P to LR but because of when I ordered, P in blue cost me £57490 the LR now in blue is £52440 + £2500 for boost so £54940 for 19” wheels option which I’m not a fan of they need to be darker to match blue in my eyes. So P is costing me £2500 which is probably worth it for the wheels I like.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Gatsojon
I was thinking of going from P to LR but because of when I ordered, P in blue cost me £57490 the LR now in blue is £52440 + £2500 for boost so £54940 for 19” wheels option which I’m not a fan of they need to be darker to match blue in my eyes. So P is costing me £2500 which is probably worth it for the wheels I like.
Sorry £1500 for boost so £3500 more still just okay.

Interesting video.

The comparison isn’t apples to apples, more like apples to prawns 🤣🤣

The LR used is the 2020 variant without the heat pump. The Performance is the 2021 model with the heat pump, benefiting from increased range, particularly in winter. The only fair comparison would have been LR and Performance both with heat pumps.

The Performance still wins in the key areas i.e. below 70 mph. There is a good chance that there will be an OTA update to further improve the 2021 models, including the Performance.

Personally, I prefer the look of the Performance and I would rather have the range improvement from the heat pump in the 2021 vs the 2020 version of both the LR and the Performance.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Am I missing something on this Video, the Performance pulled away from the LR by some distance in all the three runs, he said it was close, it wasn't at all.

Exactly. The only run that was marginal was accelerating from 70 mph... because you’re really likely to drag race another Tesla at 70 mph 🤣

Only thing the video proved was that a Tesla Model 3 2021 Performance with a heat pump (including increased range), was able to comfortably beat a 2020 LR without a heat pump (less range).. on all legal acceleration tests..

...and it still looks better 🤣🤣

Reactions: TBrownTX
Exactly. The only run that was marginal was accelerating from 70 mph... because you’re really likely to drag race another Tesla at 70 mph 🤣

Only thing the video proved was that a Tesla Model 3 2021 Performance with a heat pump (including increased range), was able to comfortably beat a 2020 LR without a heat pump (less range).. on all legal acceleration tests..

I've been driving various Teslas for well over 3 years now and never encountered a single drag race with another Tesla. If I did and lost I wouldn't be crying about it either. I do like fast cars though and these are both very much fast cars. The M3P is no doubt quicker off the line if the traffic line GP is so important for you, but the mid-range pull isn't any more or less impressive than an LR. The looks are subjective, it just comes down to a set of wheels and a stick on spoiler. I do like the new Uberturbines much more than the original P wheels. But I really like the aeros too and much prefer 18" road wheels on a daily driver.

I suppose my ideal spec at the moment would be the LR with acceleration boost, but I can't be bothered forking out £1500 for something I would not notice again after the first couple of hours. It's not like the standard LR feels in any way slow, even coming from a 911 4S.

Reactions: Kenners

Out of the 3 rolling tests they did, the acceleration from 70mph is the one where the P should have had the biggest advantage with the extra 90 bhp. I'd be surprised if that LR didn't have the performance upgrade & even then the P should have had the edge. Does anyone know if 'Track Mode' unleashes more bhp?

Out of the 3 rolling tests they did, the acceleration from 70mph is the one where the P should have had the biggest advantage with the extra 90 bhp. I'd be surprised if that LR didn't have the performance upgrade & even then the P should have had the edge. Does anyone know if 'Track Mode' unleashes more bhp?
Except it doesn't have an extra 90 hp at 70 mph. If you do a search all this has been discussed at serious length. The bottom line is that the P model only has a power advantage up to about 60-70 mph and it's a diminishing advantage, so if you do a rolling acceleration race from anywhere above 50 mph there is very little in it and the winner would probably be the one with the highest battery charge at the time.

This may explain things..
No it doesn't. The LR in the drag race is not a 2021 car and they are not at very low states of charge. There are literally dozens of LR vs P drag races on Youtube and they all look exactly like this one. It's just how it is. The P is quicker off the line by a good few car lengths and that is all. What this video does show very well is how far behind the SR+ is on acceleration and that is not a slow car by any means.

Reactions: 2021_M3P
Except it doesn't have an extra 90 hp at 70 mph. If you do a search all this has been discussed at serious length. The bottom line is that the P model only has a power advantage up to about 60-70 mph and it's a diminishing advantage, so if you do a rolling acceleration race from anywhere above 50 mph there is very little in it and the winner would probably be the one with the highest battery charge at the time.
Didn’t know that. With the same power over 70mph it’s reasonable to expect the LR to be quicker on the 5th run due to the P having a lower state of charge by then?

In terms of 0-60, the P & LR basically differ by software only & I notice numerous American owners using 'Draggy' to compare like for like. The consensus seems to be that an Acceleration Boost LR (some call it LR+) achieves 3.5sec vs 3.1sec for the P model & 3.9sec for the standard LR. These are all using the same 1' rollout that Tesla use to advertise the Performance model (but Teslas' quoted figures for SR+, LR & LR boost are from a standing start). There are many US videos & Draggy printouts confirming these numbers so I guess we can take them as accurate.

The big difference between the P and LR+ is in the first 0-30mph & I'm sure the clip featured in this thread is a standard LR, not the boost version.

I've driven all three, LR, LR+ & the P & it's this one that gives a far greater kick immediately off the line whereas the kick comes in around 20mph in the LR+ which holds its own in the significant 30-50mph overtaking region, after that there's little in it.

Drive a LR for a while, add the boost & you notice it for a few days.
Drive a LR for a while then a P... you always notice it!
Drive a LR+ for a while then a P... you always notice it off the line but it feels subjectively the same once moving, even if you floor it.

Reactions: EVMeister
In terms of 0-60, the P & LR basically differ by software only & I notice numerous American owners using 'Draggy' to compare like for like. The consensus seems to be that an Acceleration Boost LR (some call it LR+) achieves 3.5sec vs 3.1sec for the P model & 3.9sec for the standard LR. These are all using the same 1' rollout that Tesla use to advertise the Performance model (but Teslas' quoted figures for SR+, LR & LR boost are from a standing start). There are many US videos & Draggy printouts confirming these numbers so I guess we can take them as accurate.

The big difference between the P and LR+ is in the first 0-30mph & I'm sure the clip featured in this thread is a standard LR, not the boost version.

I've driven all three, LR, LR+ & the P & it's this one that gives a far greater kick immediately off the line whereas the kick comes in around 20mph in the LR+ which holds its own in the significant 30-50mph overtaking region, after that there's little in it.

Drive a LR for a while, add the boost & you notice it for a few days.
Drive a LR for a while then a P... you always notice it!
Drive a LR+ for a while then a P... you always notice it off the line but it feels subjectively the same once moving, even if you floor it.
Good summary.

I think whether you really notice the extra low speed kick depends how much you actually use it. I'm lucky to drive somewhere with light traffic and very few traffic lights. Most of my daily driving is in the 40-70 mph range on country roads, so I wouldn't see very much benefit in either the LR boost or P. The standard LR has bags of torque in that speed range and so there isn't actually a lot of full throttle time recorded on those roads. If you actually unleash the full performance you are very quickly approaching 3 digit speeds on even a fairly short straight. It makes my 911 feel unresponsive and feels considerably quicker than other comparable ICE cars like the BMW M3, Golf R etc. Basically performance of the LR is not lacking anywhere near enough to make the P a compulsory purchase!

I've also driven both P and standard model S and X cars many times too and come to the conclusion that all Teslas are so quick that it doesn't really matter all that much what spec you choose when it comes to out-dragging ICE cars from lights or roundabouts. The instant throttle response and very effective traction control are usually enough to leave them for dead anyway. It's going to get interesting in about 10 years time when pretty much every mundane car on the road will have sub 4 sec 0-60 capability thanks to EV. It is fun leaving Audi TDis for dead without even making an effort, but inevitably one day they will catch on and the inherent EV advantage will be gone. Enjoy it while you can!

Moderator comment - new thread merged into posts from "UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room"

Car wow compared an M3 SR+, LR an P. In standing start and rolling drag races.
In standing start result as expected but after the initial get away LR seemed to peg the P and it didn't pull away. In subsequent rolling srarts at increasing speed the LR semec to gain on The P until a 50 mph rolling start where the LR wins over a 1/4 mile!!
I had heard there was not much difference at higher speed but did not expect LR to win! You have to wonder about state of charge...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: El joe
Car wow compared an M3 SR+, LR an P. In standing start and rolling drag races.
In standing start result as expected but after the initial get away LR seemed to peg the P and it didn't pull away. In subsequent rolling srarts at increasing speed the LR semec to gain on The P until a 50 mph rolling start where the LR wins over a 1/4 mile!!
I had heard there was not much difference at higher speed but did not expect LR to win! You have to wonder about state of charge...
Very interesting! The state of charge in the 50+ And 70+ race would be nice to know, but it reminds me of the videos showing how lower battery percentages really impact the Performance’s speed, particularly compare to the LR models. So interesting.