Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Ceramic brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mb300sd

Aug 22, 2017
GA
Had these sitting in my garage for a bit, finally had time to install today.

Far lighter than stock, and unsprung/rolling weight has way more effect on performance and handling than body weight.

Ready to get a few pulls in at the drag strip next weekend. Goal for the car is to break into the low 10s :D

IMG_20190402_235118.jpg

IMG_20190402_235017.jpg

IMG_20190402_235048.jpg

RB Calipers & CCM-X Rotor Package for Tesla Model S (P/N 2C32 & 2C33)

How much weight does it save per corner?
Sounds great- enjoy and good luck.

H22Yn3X.png

What was your E/T before this mod?

Best I've managed is 11.0x. I can never time launch mode perfectly with the tree, and it should be doing high 10s stock.

Later this summer, I should get my 87kW generator trailer done. I originally built it as stationary home backup. Will be pulling that along with me so I can charge to 100% before runs.

Best I've managed is 11.0x. I can never time launch mode perfectly with the tree, and it should be doing high 10s stock.

Later this summer, I should get my 87kW generator trailer done. I originally built it as stationary home backup. Will be pulling that along with me so I can charge to 100% before runs.

Timing your launch with the tree shouldn't matter. I'm interested to hear your experience with this modification. My gut says it shouldn't make much difference but drag racing a Tesla is very much uncharted territory.

Reactions: bhzmark
Track might not happen for a while now, somehow I lost one of my lug nuts and Unplugged hasn't responded to my email about buying a single. Damn thing rolled off and I can't find it anywhere.

Can you discuss how they work for normal use, squealing, cold vs. hot, wet vs. dry?

Just did a quick drive around my local area and they don't feel too different from the original brakes. Haven't bedded them in yet, so no spirited driving until that's done. Pedal might be a little softer, but I think they need to be bled some more after working any possible bubbles into the top of the calipers. No squeeling, but they do make a little bit of sound, kind of like a grinding noise is the best I can describe it, all slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors I've used produce the same sound.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Looks BA and congrats! Sounds like you could use alot more experience and data at the track while perfecting your stock set up and baseline. You really could benefit by 30 - 40 passes with 60', 1/8 and 1/4 mile logs before the ability to quantify this huge cost. Getting into the 10s stock would have been a worthwhile goal. Anyway looks amazing and RB is top tier stuff.

Another reason I probably can't get into the 10s stock is that I never managed to get to the track with much more than 80-85% charge, and burned some of that getting the max battery heated. Will be interesting to see a before/after once I get my generator mobile.

Track might not happen for a while now, somehow I lost one of my lug nuts and Unplugged hasn't responded to my email about buying a single. Damn thing rolled off and I can't find it anywhere.

Just did a quick drive around my local area and they don't feel too different from the original brakes. Haven't bedded them in yet, so no spirited driving until that's done. Pedal might be a little softer, but I think they need to be bled some more after working any possible bubbles into the top of the calipers. No squeeling, but they do make a little bit of sound, kind of like a grinding noise is the best I can describe it, all slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors I've used produce the same sound.
I loved my ZR1 ceramics. They definitely didn't work their best until I burnished them, which took a lot of hot stops

Is this on a P90D or P100D?
FYI, I’ve seen no difference in the 1/4 almost 100% vs 80-85% in my P100D. I live right by a track so tested one night and first run was 99% and there was no difference in ET between that run and runs later the same night when I was under 85%

• Informative
Small update. Went and did the ZR1 burnish procedure last night (50 cycles 0-60-0 as fast as you can), cheated a little by doing 40 cycles of 80-20-80 instead, man that was fun. Saw my gauge hit 2000+Wh/mile lol. Not sure if it was 100% correct for these brakes, since all the links on RB's site are broken, but it seems to have worked pretty well. Brake pedal is much firmer now and super grippy even when cold. I'll probably bleed them again anyway next week just to get the super heated fluid out.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Actually, there are a TON of YouTube videos on 1/4 mile drags.

Within the context of my post, this is not true. There are not many people pushing the envelope of what a Tesla might be capable of at the drag strip. On Youtube, the vast majority of tesla drag racing is TeslaRacingChannel with a little but of dragtimes sprinkled in. All TRC has done is change wheel and tire as well as gut the inside. I believe the best he saw was a 10.4something before he traded to the Model S raven.

Within the context of my post, this is not true. There are not many people pushing the envelope of what a Tesla might be capable of at the drag strip. On Youtube, the vast majority of tesla drag racing is TeslaRacingChannel with a little but of dragtimes sprinkled in. All TRC has done is change wheel and tire as well as gut the inside. I believe the best he saw was a 10.4something before he traded to the Model S raven.
Ok. Just what “modifications” are offered for any Tesla? The mods currently available favor track. Minus “lightening” the vehicle or upgrading tires,what’s available for drag times?