Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their web site, which I check frequently, is now showing photo shopped pix of the wheels on a number of high performance cars, example below. IMHO this is a very lame attempt to suggest that they've actually made real carbon fiber wheels, which of course they haven't. If they don't deliver the wheels in the 60 day window they promised and there continues to be no trustworthy evidence that they've made real wheels, I'm going to ask for my money back or file charge back with my bank.

2.jpg

TUV testing requires the production of a set of wheels that are then shipped for testing at a TUV approved facility. With the website only showing gif images of the wheel it is highly unlikely that they have been TUV. Also there is no standard for TUV for carbon fiber rims yet.

Recommend watching some of the earlier videos that are posted in this thread showing the damage that carbon fiber wheels can withstand (people throwing the rims on the pavement without tires on them bouncing them like a baseball without damage). Etc...

GM plans carbon-fiber wheels for performance cars

General Motors is planning to roll out carbon-fiber wheels as optional equipment for its performance cars, though the timing is unclear.

GM would likely tap Australian company Carbon Revolution, which also provides carbon-fiber wheels for the Ford GT and the Mustang Shelby GT350R, as its supplier.

Cars like Cadillac's V-Series models would be candidates, said William Rodgers, GM light polymer systems technical fellow, research and development. We expect the Chevy Camaro and Corvette would also get consideration, too.

"It's a performance-driven execution," Rodgers told Autoblog.

Emailed ESE a few days ago to find out where we stand. Got this reply and photo from Adriana. Looks like we're getting much closer to having our wheels. I'm very relieved to say the least.

E1%20Tooling.jpg

Good Morning Rick,

I completely understand your frustration and empathize the uncertainty you feel with the E1 delay. However, I can assure you that there is no need to be concerned.

We have already commenced work on the tool/mold for your Tesla’s wheels. There were several other tools that we needed to machine before getting to your wheels, but we have already resolved the CNC Machining issues that were causing the previous delays. I am confident that once you have your set, you will feel that it was worth the wait.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns. I will make sure that you are of the first to receive production photos of E1 as soon as I receive them. Until then, enjoy this photo of the manufacturing of your wheel tool!

On behalf of Team E1, we appreciate your patience and are excited to reveal E1 to you soon.

Best Regards,

Adriana M. Sirven
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
ESE Industries
O: (877) 213-8662 x704
E: [email protected]
www.esecarbon.com

Emailed ESE a few days ago to find out where we stand. Got this reply and photo from Adriana. Looks like we're getting much closer to having our wheels. I'm very relieved to say the least.

E1%20Tooling.jpg

Good Morning Rick,

I completely understand your frustration and empathize the uncertainty you feel with the E1 delay. However, I can assure you that there is no need to be concerned.

We have already commenced work on the tool/mold for your Tesla’s wheels. There were several other tools that we needed to machine before getting to your wheels, but we have already resolved the CNC Machining issues that were causing the previous delays. I am confident that once you have your set, you will feel that it was worth the wait.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns. I will make sure that you are of the first to receive production photos of E1 as soon as I receive them. Until then, enjoy this photo of the manufacturing of your wheel tool!

On behalf of Team E1, we appreciate your patience and are excited to reveal E1 to you soon.

Best Regards,

Adriana M. Sirven
Sales & Marketing Coordinator
ESE Industries
O: (877) 213-8662 x704
E: [email protected]
www.esecarbon.com
Whoa. Only at milling stage?

I wonder if the spokes are hollow - from the looks of that mold they will be!
I don't want them to rush - just take their sweet time and make them perfect - they will make a great Christmas present (ok maybe not that late). An early Christmas present. If they yield the results I am expecting, I'll order a set for the wife's car too.

I wonder if the spokes are hollow - from the looks of that mold they will be!
I don't want them to rush - just take their sweet time and make them perfect - they will make a great Christmas present (ok maybe not that late). An early Christmas present. If they yield the results I am expecting, I'll order a set for the wife's car too.

I'm quite sure they're hollow.

i will cross that bridge after getting the wheels. Frankly a "software tuner" could adjust the air suspension based upon the wheel weight. I seriously doubt it will have that much of an impact to the suspension - forged wheels are used all the time on these cars and no one gets their suspension reworked.

The air only controls ride height. Damper valving is fixed.

The ride will be a tad more harsh with the weight reduction but otherwise you'll see an overall improvement in acceleration, braking and handling. Loosing weight in the rim/tire package has one of the best returns of any weight reduction program :)

The air only controls ride height. Damper valving is fixed.

The ride will be a tad more harsh with the weight reduction but otherwise you'll see an overall improvement in acceleration, braking and handling. Loosing weight in the rim/tire package has one of the best returns of any weight reduction program :)

A bit more ride harshness is a small sacrifice to make for the other improvements.