Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why a hybrid wheel from BMW? Are they not up to making an all carbon wheel? In my book disqualifies them from consideration?
Actually, I think this should give you all pause.

BM spends tens of millions on research for something like this, and when they choose AL for the hub there's going to be a good reason. Sure CF on the rim reduces the outside mass where most of the benefit is, but tightening lug nuts onto CF? CF spokes for a 5,000lb car? I don't think so.

Actually, I think this should give you all pause.

BM spends tens of millions on research for something like this, and when they choose AL for the hub there's going to be a good reason. Sure CF on the rim reduces the outside mass where most of the benefit is, but tightening lug nuts onto CF? CF spokes for a 5,000lb car? I don't think so.

The lug nuts don't tighten into carbon fiber. You're entitled to you own opinion but not your own facts. Perhaps you could have read the whole thread, which might have helped you avoid jumping to erroneous conlusions.

The center plate where the lug nuts mount on both the Carbon Revolution and ESE Carbons is made of Titanium.
From ESE Carbon FAQs: "Our wheels are entirely composed of carbon fiber excluding a titanium adapter connecting the axel to the wheel – providing surface scratch protection."

Also here is a pretty picture of a center aluminum hub and carbon barrel for your viewing pleasure. I love BMW - I see them in my rear view camera daily!

carbon fiber barrels with aluminum spokes.jpg

Last edited:
The lug nuts don't tighten into carbon fiber. You're entitled to you own opinion but not your own facts. Perhaps you could have read the whole thread, which might have helped you avoid jumping to erroneous conlusions.
Well that sounds a little angry artsci. I didn't say CF SUX!! Or doubt the technology for rigorous work. I simply, genteely, suggested that you guys (fanbois now?) consider BMW's decisions.

And X, that's not a BM wheel.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak
I share Edmond's concern but am willing and feel capable of evaluating first a sample wheel then a production set. In my case, they will be for the McLaren. At $2K each and 12.5 ish pounds (depending upon size of wheel), they do represent tremendous value when compared to fully machined or forged wheels. It is at least worth taking a look......

Of course, the first hurdle is to have something delivered.

I share Edmond's concern but am willing and feel capable of evaluating first a sample wheel then a production set. In my case, they will be for the McLaren. At $2K each and 12.5 ish pounds (depending upon size of wheel), they do represent tremendous value when compared to fully machined or forged wheels. It is at least worth taking a look......

Of course, the first hurdle is to have something delivered.

What is it with ESE? On their web site they are now indicating delivery around July 4 for orders placed today. That's within the 60 day delivery delay they told us would apply to our orders, which were supposed to be delivered on April 30. They keep giving us more reasons not to trust anything they tell us about delivery. There's still no evidence of any kind that that they've actually built a real wheel.

I will continue to be patient, I did this with Light Harmonic and it is working out. Got my 1200 watt AMP in, now just waiting on drivers.

It is not confidence inspiring, but reminds me of early Tesla.

Did you get the Bronchitis knocked out? When I check the order now site it says delivery July 24th.. then when I refresh the site it says July 4th. when I check the home page link "about E1" it says April 29th. I think their webmaster is on a permanent Cinco de Mayo and none of it jives...

Anybody try to buy from Carbon Revolution? Even with shipping from Aussy Land it might be faster.. they seem to only want to deal with OEM's - must be that free money from the Australian government.

Carbon Revolution opens new fibre wheels manufacturing facility in Geelong | Australian Manufacturing

The brand-new $25 million facility was developed with financial assistance from the Government. The company has used a $5 million grant from the $29.5 million Geelong Region Innovation and Investment Fund (GRIIF) which was established by the Australian and Victorian governments with support from Ford Australia and Alcoa of Australia as part of their ongoing commitment to the community.

Looks like CR may IPO next year The Geelong wheel maker taking on the world

These guys should approach Tesla

Last edited:
I will continue to be patient, I did this with Light Harmonic and it is working out. Got my 1200 watt AMP in, now just waiting on drivers.

It is not confidence inspiring, but reminds me of early Tesla.

Did you get the Bronchitis knocked out?

Recovered by still not 100 percent as now the spring allergies have kicked in. I live with this every spring.

Trying to stay positive about ESE but they don't help much:)

All this rain is killing my mold allergies too!!!!

LOLCHAMPCAR very good points their 19 x 9 wheel weights 15+ lbs and their 21x 13 is close to 18+. I agree at that threshold forged Aluminum is back in play and then you add in the atrocious pricing model - $15K is crazy!!

I didn't realize Aussie labor was so expensive - no wonder they shut down the Roadmeadows car assembly line and the Geelong engine plant in the same region. Seems to be price gouging to me - especially with the govt subsidies they got.

good point. apparently a lighter wheel does result in bumpier ride -- at least other people complain that it does.

That is true. And if you had an infinitely heavy wheel you're suspension would never get work as the sidewalls would be the only thing that could absorb road irregularities given the wheels mass would prevent it from moving up or down. Extreme example but the point is as you lighten the wheel the suspension stiffness and dampening has to be decreased to keep the same handling characteristics.

DIY project ??

Interesting that you said that! I went online to price out autoclaves and looked to see where i could "lease" time in one. The bigger issue is the mold they use in the video. You need that to get the correct form factor and not get a warped or unbalance or compromised product in as the end product. I have watched thousands of videos of how to do it, but it isn't something that I want to risk on a 5000 lb car...