Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love them, even my wife who doesn't notice anything in cars noticed the difference. She used to drive our 2016 Model S, which had the ESE's she just got a new Model X about a week ago, and she immediately noticed how heavy the steering was compared to the Model S. She also said that the S "glided" compared to the Model X. She asked me if I could get the same wheels for the X, I told her we could. They are worth it for the noise reduction, less weight, also they attenuate the road "harshness", which in a car that doesn't have an air suspension would be amazing. The steering feels amazing, it's hard to explain, but the car feels more nimble, which for a car that weighs ~4500 lbs, is really pretty amazing. I have been looking at getting a PLAID for a while, and I think I will get the 20 inch ESE's that mirror the Model S Plaid Track Package setup. These will look be bad ass on a Plaid.... E3 Carbon Fiber Wheels 13 lbs per corner!!!!!!!! verses the boat anchor wheels on the stock Model S. Suspect the E3's will be available soon, I have the E2's on the my S, which weigh ~ 17 lbs.

Also the largest benefit:

1706460355249.png

WHEEL/TIRE COMPONENTS:

• 2X 20X10J, ZERO-G WHEELS WITH 285/35R20 GOODYEAR SUPERCAR 3R TIRES (FRONT)
  • 2X 20X11J, ZERO-G WHEELS WITH 305/30R20 GOODYEAR SUPERCAR 3R TIRES (REAR)
  • TPMS, ZERO-G CENTER CAPS, TIRE NUT VALVES AND LUG NUT COVERS

Last edited:
I love them, even my wife who doesn't notice anything in cars noticed the difference. She used to drive our 2016 Model S, which had the ESE's she just got a new Model X about a week ago, and she immediately noticed how heavy the steering was compared to the Model S. She also said that the S "glided" compared to the Model X. She asked me if I could get the same wheels for the X, I told her we could. They are worth it for the noise reduction, less weight, also they attenuate the road "harshness", which in a car that doesn't have an air suspension would be amazing. The steering feels amazing, it's hard to explain, but the car feels more nimble, which for a car that weighs ~4500 lbs, is really pretty amazing. I have been looking at getting a PLAID for a while, and I think I will get the 20 inch ESE's that mirror the Model S Plaid Track Package setup. These will look be bad ass on a Plaid.... E3 Carbon Fiber Wheels 13 lbs per corner!!!!!!!! verses the boat anchor wheels on the stock Model S. Suspect the E3's will be available soon, I have the E2's on the my S, which weigh ~ 17 lbs.

View attachment 1012986

WHEEL/TIRE COMPONENTS:

How are the E2’s holding up to everyday wear and tear including curb rashes?

How are the E2’s holding up to everyday wear and tear including curb rashes?
Weird that you are asking, I scraped one of the rear wheels after our HQ moved to a new building, 2 weeks ago, it had fresh yellow paint that got all over the wheel lip, I had my car wash guy wash it off with some elbow grease and soap. The only evidence that it happened is the clear coat is now hazy.... so I probably need to call ESE, but it so minor that it's barely noticeable. I would recommend getting tires that are little wider to help get some rubber between the curb and the rim.....

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
Freaking A ... they didn't take care of it, you just made me double check.... I was so pissed off, I was going through a new garage security gate and they built the center island out about six feet beyond the gate, some food deliver driver pulled up an parked illegally next to the exit which forced me to turn sharper to avoid getting close to his car...and this happened..... I probably need to call the boys at ESE... I am getting E3's once I finally decide to pull the trigger on the new S.... believe it or not this car was cleaned 2 days ago... freaking road salt and snow has made a mess of the Metro DC area...

tempImageBTaK2q.png

Last edited:

View attachment 1012986

WHEEL/TIRE COMPONENTS:

If your steering feels lighter with different rims - there is something wrong with the wheel alignment. Or placebo induced by incredible cost.

I still believe that carbon wheels are not a good idea for daily car due to tendency to collapse rapidly in case of internal damage in the past that is invisible from the outside.

In engineering every carbon part that is a critical for rigidity must be exchanged in case of suspicion of hard enough impact. Its rigid and light, but it's not durable for regular impacts. And potholes are regular impacts.

Hypercars use carbon wheel, because it's cool and nobody drives them daily or ever.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
If your steering feels lighter with different rims - there is something wrong with the wheel alignment. Or placebo induced by incredible cost.

I still believe that carbon wheels are not a good idea for daily car due to tendency to collapse rapidly in case of internal damage in the past that is invisible from the outside.

In engineering every carbon part that is a critical for rigidity must be exchanged in case of suspicion of hard enough impact. Its rigid and light, but it's not durable for regular impacts. And potholes are regular impacts.

Hypercars use carbon wheel, because it's cool and nobody drives them daily or ever.

Reactions: bhzmark
He's not talking about the wheel failing immediately from the original impact, but rather that undetectable cracks formed from such impacts may eventually lead to the wheel to failing in a more serious way. The tests posted don't really address that condition (maybe if they run SAE J175 curb test or SAE J1981 pothole test first, then afterwards run many fatigue cycles mentioned earlier in the report until failure and compare to how a metal wheel would respond to the same). Of course it's speculation at this point, because there might not be any tests out there that go to that detail (and as the linked article points out, how a carbon fiber wheel survives damage depends on a lot on how it is built; even one with the same cosmetic design can have very different characteristics).

Reactions: Sam1
He's not talking about the wheel failing immediately from the original impact, but rather that undetectable cracks formed from such impacts may eventually lead to the wheel to failing in a more serious way. The tests posted don't really address that condition (maybe if they run SAE J175 curb test or SAE J1981 pothole test first, then afterwards run many fatigue cycles mentioned earlier in the report until failure and compare to how a metal wheel would respond to the same). Of course it's speculation at this point, because there might not be any tests out there that go to that detail (and as the linked article points out, how a carbon fiber wheel survives damage depends on a lot on how it is built; even one with the same cosmetic design can have very different characteristics).
I’m not a carbon composite wheel engineer, but I know the owner and many of ESE staff are experts in CPE/TFP. I am sure if the wheel exceeds design specs it will fracture and leak just like aluminum leaks when it fractures and yes all wheels can fail. I can tell you these wheels, the E2, are massively over built, their newer wheel, the E3, drops 5 pounds in a larger config.

Carlos Hermida, Founder & CEO

ESE Carbon Company was founded in 2011 by a small, talented team in Jasper, Georgia. More than a decade later, we continue to drive innovation in areas such as tailored fiber placement (TFP), high-pressure resin infusion, engineering design and analysis. We also serve on the SAE Wheel committee, which is developing standards for carbon fiber wheels.

ESE Carbon Company is affiliated with ESE Industries, which is leading the way in industrial carbon fiber applications such as automotive, aerospace and marine industries. We are leveraging the ESE Industries expertise, vertically integrated product development, mold fabrication and composite part manufacturing to bring the E2 carbon fiber wheel to production.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
Wheel weight has been pretty noticeable in every car I’ve driven. In a pure steer by wire car it won’t be, but except for the cyber truck, no Tesla is steer by wire.