Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just cracked the glass roof on my m3p. I called around and it looks like it is about $1200 to replace with factory glass. I found some companies that make Carbon Fiber roofs for our cars. I have been in contact with TWL-carbon (link>>>) TWL-Carbon fiber roof and they say it just mounts up just like the glass would. Problem is, it comes from Taiwan and shipping will be over $600 plus the cost of the roof.

My Questions:

Anyone know of a company in the U.S. that makes these?
Anyone used a carbon fiber roof personally or know someone that has?

I read somewhere that the roof glass is structural. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I would think Carbon Fiber would be just as, if not more, strong.

crack.jpg

Screenshot (5).png

Progress has been made. I received the roof way quicker than expected. It came all the way from Taiwan to Virginia in less than a week. I called up my local window guy and he came out and cut the factory roof glass out. We then put the new Carbon fiber panel on. It fit really well! I'm being super cautious and letting the glue/epoxy cure for about 3 to 4 days before I attempt to drive it. And as for weight savings, this piece is so thick and sturdy that no weight benefits are to be had. It weighs pretty much the same as the stock glass. Looks a lot cooler though! Ignore the fingerprints and messy garage. lol. Also, I plan to add a gasket on the sides of the roof panel.

no roof.jpg

cf roof.jpg

Progress has been made. I received the roof way quicker than expected. It came all the way from Taiwan to Virginia in less than a week. I called up my local window guy and he came out and cut the factory roof glass out. We then put the new Carbon fiber panel on. It fit really well! I'm being super cautious and letting the glue/epoxy cure for about 3 to 4 days before I attempt to drive it. And as for weight savings, this piece is so thick and sturdy that no weight benefits are to be had. It weighs pretty much the same as the stock glass. Looks a lot cooler though! Ignore the fingerprints and messy garage. lol. Also, I plan to add a gasket on the sides of the roof panel.

View attachment 910725

View attachment 910726
wow, that's so awesome!!!

Nice find, and thanks for reporting back!

To make it weigh the same as the glass it must be 7-8mm thick (vs maybe 1-2mm) and therefore must be genuinely (not kidding) almost bullet proof, lol. I’d put money down it would stop handgun rounds at least :p .

Any updates on road noise, wind noise, etc?

Congrats on the nice CF roof :) it looks 100% better
I drove the car for the first time this morning. It had been raining the last few days so I drove my other vehicle. It sounds exactly like stock. No wind noise, no extra anything. If you didn't know I changed the roof, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference.

Got to say, I am happy with this udgrade.

Reactions: juliusb