Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo net for big dogs in Model X cargo area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster, long time lurker. I am considering the Model X as an upgrade from my current EV.

One of the features I loved about the older BMW X5 and the Range Rover is the cargo options like nets etc. In the older X5 there was a flexible cargo net that attached to the roof and the rear of the second row seats, even if they are folded down. Unfortunately BMW removed it in later iterations of the X5 as a cost cutting measure. In the Range Rover you can actually get solid cargo cage and a full dog crate type setup for two big dogs.

For those of us with big dogs, it's a godsend, because it prevents them from leaning over the second row seats, and keeps them safe in case of sudden deceleration.

Has anyone seen hints of a possible cargo setup for the X that might work?

Thanks!

+1

Cargo nets are a safety thing. Hopefully having them actually makes things safer, not a false sense of security to make things less safe (pack too much missiles in back; strangulation potential; etc.). Obviously for your dog example, dog specific nets would be great.

we currently use a specialized car crate in our M-B GL and are about to get a larger one since we're getting a second Berner soon. They are both in the 80 pound range so the crates need to be big. Variocage and proline seem to be the most common options. The slope of the back hatch is going to limit your crate options but I think you should be able to get something in there similar to most mid-sized SUVs. The advantage of the crate is both safety for the dogs and the human passengers, as well as giving you the ability to use the rest of the cargo area for stuff, and helps contain the fur and drool to a limited extent.

I've been doing some research on this. The proper name is cargo divider, not a cargo net.

An OEM cargo divider is offered as an option on the following luxury SUV models.

Mercedes Benz GLE and GLK.
Audi Q5 and Q7.
Porsche Cayenne and Macan.
Range Rovers
Jaguar F-PACE

As I mentioned earlier, BMW dropped it due to cost cutting measures.

I asked at the Tesla sales office after my test drive and they didn't have any good options for the Model X or the Model S so it looks like no Tesla for me. Maybe I'll get that Porsche SUV and can atone for it in a few years when Tesla catches up. :)

The other pet related rear cargo space issue is the lack of area specific HVAC ducts, that were, for some reason, of course, removed from the 5 seat X configuration. I have enquired regarding a prospective new vehicle and a retro refit, but haveb't heard back on eirter in definitive responses, to date. I have not even heard whether the termination of the ducting is at the location of the vents in the 6&7 seaters and only the panel is different, so to say.

Thank you very much

Fury

As I mentioned earlier, BMW dropped it due to cost cutting measures.
Do you mean something like this? Because that's currently in the German x5 online configuration. But I can't find it in the US either. Strange that the would save money on that.

2017-01-31 05_09_39-Konfigurieren.png

we currently use a specialized car crate in our M-B GL and are about to get a larger one since we're getting a second Berner soon.
I'll soon be getting a custom crate myself from Kustom Krates. Their videos under "More Info" (Kustom Krates: Videos) do the best job at showing off the custom shapes and numerous options/doors you can have. It's obviously much more expensive than a simple cargo divider/net, but worth it if you want custom. I found that larger "standard" dog crates simply don't fit in my Model X because there isn't enough height available due to the structure of the FWDs and sloping at the back. Along the sides there is only about 25" of height above the folded second row seats (folded flat in my 5 seater) and standard L/XL dog crates are taller than 25".

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Do you mean something like this? Because that's currently in the German x5 online configuration. But I can't find it in the US either. Strange that the would save money on that.

I test drove an X5 in 2014, and the BMW salesperson told me that in the years since my previous model X5, BMW had removed the mounting points in the headliner for this option. They also removed the privacy shades in the rear passenger window, and the spare tire, all to reduce the cost. Meanwhile, the X5 actually got $20k more expensive and 9 inches longer, and handled like a whale. Needless to say, I didn't buy the new model. Since the US model is built here, I guess they may offer more options in Germany.

Some people argue the nets aren't really ideal for safety because they may fail in a high speed collision. I still think it's better to have something than nothing, and 75% of the utility is just to stop my dog from standing the entire ride with his head forward over the seats.

@Jrogville, the after market solutions aren't great in general, since they can't attach directly to the vehicle so they use pressure poles and similar. They definitely aren't going to be much help in a collision.

I'm underwhelmed in general with the lack of options on the Tesla. I know Tesla are trying to minimize complexity, but Porsche sell fewer vehicles and manage to have a full menu of options.