TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cargo net for big dogs in Model X cargo area

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by blackhawk, Sep 30, 2015.

1. blackhawk

blackhawk Member

First time poster, long time lurker. I am considering the Model X as an upgrade from my current EV.

One of the features I loved about the older BMW X5 and the Range Rover is the cargo options like nets etc. In the older X5 there was a flexible cargo net that attached to the roof and the rear of the second row seats, even if they are folded down. Unfortunately BMW removed it in later iterations of the X5 as a cost cutting measure. In the Range Rover you can actually get solid cargo cage and a full dog crate type setup for two big dogs.

For those of us with big dogs, it's a godsend, because it prevents them from leaning over the second row seats, and keeps them safe in case of sudden deceleration.

Has anyone seen hints of a possible cargo setup for the X that might work?

Thanks!

2. bwa

bwa Member

+1

Cargo nets are a safety thing. Hopefully having them actually makes things safer, not a false sense of security to make things less safe (pack too much missiles in back; strangulation potential; etc.). Obviously for your dog example, dog specific nets would be great.

3. blackhawk

blackhawk Member

Anyone seen any updates on this topic? Thanks!

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

If you "let" the dog sit in the well, it's four feet to the space above the seats, and the headrest blocks part of that space. If you leash your dog, and clip it to the side ring in the cargo area, the dog will not "jump" over the seats. There is no cargo net for the X.

5. kf93

kf93 Member

we currently use a specialized car crate in our M-B GL and are about to get a larger one since we're getting a second Berner soon. They are both in the 80 pound range so the crates need to be big. Variocage and proline seem to be the most common options. The slope of the back hatch is going to limit your crate options but I think you should be able to get something in there similar to most mid-sized SUVs. The advantage of the crate is both safety for the dogs and the human passengers, as well as giving you the ability to use the rest of the cargo area for stuff, and helps contain the fur and drool to a limited extent.

6. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

Any news on this topic......?

7. blackhawk

blackhawk Member

FWIW the Porsche Cayenne has a cargo safety net with mounting points in the headliner - works perfectly for keeping a big dog in the rear area.

Still waiting for Tesla to offer an option like this.