Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax lowball offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After hearing the success stories on the forum, I took my 2016 85D in excellent condition to carmax for a quote. They offered $58K. They said they don't directly sell Teslas so they offer based on what they could get from auction. I was shocked. My price guarantee from Tesla at 3 years is higher!

With a 2016 70D, Tesla gave an offer $3k higher than Carmax.

It doesn't seem worthwhile to cross check a newer Tesla with them -- Tesla will give you the best no hassle trade in. The only open question is private party sale.

KBB trade-in is $71k for my car, $75 for private. Would Tesla offer something between those two? Can one sell to Tesla without having to buy another car?

for mine, Tesla stated they appraise vehicles on a formula based on 80% of retail price you paid, then 80% from that number to come up with the trade-in offer price. Regardless of how clean your car might be, they use that 20% margin as a reconditioning expense and profit margin of course). So use that formula and you should get something similar to what Tesla will offer you.

Example:
$100,000 original price
$80,000 what they would sell your car as a CPO
$64,000 what they would offer you for your car + or - adjustments for mileage, condition, etc.

i think the timing of the sale/trade-in can greatly affect the value as well, including the model. I opted to private-sale mine and got what I asked for it without much issues... Had several inquiries on the same day.

In my case, Tesla did offer slightly below the trade-in value (here in Los Angeles) and my mileage was a tad above average, however for giggles I went to Carmax and I did get the same explanation as the OP and their bid came in $6,000 below Teslas.

On the flip side, Tesla did confirm that they honor Carmax appraisals (so if you happen to get lucky and get a higher bid from Carmax, Tesla will match it).

for mine, Tesla stated they appraise vehicles on a formula based on 80% of retail price you paid, then 80% from that number to come up with the trade-in offer price. Regardless of how clean your car might be, they use that 20% margin as a reconditioning expense and profit margin of course). So use that formula and you should get something similar to what Tesla will offer you.

Example:
$100,000 original price
$80,000 what they would sell your car as a CPO
$64,000 what they would offer you for your car + or - adjustments for mileage, condition, etc.

What year and how many miles did you have? I find it hard to believe that there would be an across the board equation like that, since people still look at things like mileage when considering market value.

When we were buying our Tesla we wanted to trade in our Toyota Camry. Carmax offered quite a bit more than Tesla did on their quote and Tesla did match Carmax's quote. It does seem to depend on if it's a car that Carmax can sell on their lot or will sell thru auction.

They offered me $6k for my Audi A4 years ago, and wrote it up that it had evidence of being in a wreck... but yet when questioned couldn't show me said evidence which led them to believe it was in an accident. It was NEVER wrecked and in excellent condition. I sold it for $15.5k a few weeks later, private party book was $17k but I had to flip it quick. I'll never set foot on a Carmax property again.

Carmax will always low ball offer on a car they don't sell. Watch the Doug Demuro videos on YouTube. He's very entertaining, but he takes exotic cars into Carmax to see what they will offer as a kind of running joke. He's made that point with Carmax, if you bring in a car they would want to sell themselves, they will make a pretty good offer, but if they don't sell that kind of car, they give you their "go away" offer.