Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So im embarrassed to say that I haven't been able to get the Tello service working using the LTE modem above. I was breaking my head trying to figure out what could be wrong. Did I buy the wrong model? Did I activate the card? Did I choose the wrong service plan?

Thank God you posted this picture. So I could immediately tell that I inserted the SIM card in upside down lol. Even worse, I see there is a little graphic that even shows you the right way to insert the card and the form factor of the SIM (Micro SIM). As you can imagine everything is working now and Im incredibly embarrassed. I will say I just had LASIK surgery a couple of weeks ago and my eyes are still fuzzy when focusing. Supposed to be 6-8 months of healing time until my vision is normal. So maybe I just couldn't see all of this information when I originally got the SIM + modem :)
Have you verified if you have the M2M variant of Alcatel LTE USB Modem or the IoT variant of the European Alcatel? That page explains the details..and the story.

Just installed and tested the latest version 2023.4.1.1 and it took 2:32 for it to have WiFi up and working in my RPi. I understand that there is a good amount to be loaded but I was hoping for something around 30 seconds but at least below 1 minute.

Just installed and tested the latest version 2023.4.1.1 and it took 2:32 for it to have WiFi up and working in my RPi. I understand that there is a good amount to be loaded but I was hoping for something around 30 seconds but at least below 1 minute.
Seems slower than previous release. I timed it before, and I think I posted the results. Even before it was too slow.

Ideally I'd love to see a feature with this system where it would intelligently shut down and turn on as you exited and entered the car.

The Tesla is so awesome. You open the door, sit down, put the car in gear and go. Don't have to start the engine, push a start button or anything. This hack is rough. You can get in the car and go, but if the WiFi is not connected you can a) wait for it to connect before you start driving or b) start driving then click the car icon, then the LTE icon in upper right, turn on WiFi, wait and wait for it to connect (sometimes it's connected but doesn't show it), then open browser and load page.

The 9" Hannshow was much better at this. It would come on and go off like magic with the car. Although it kinda sucks as a CarPlay device due to lots of weird things about it, plus the awkward placement.

If Tesla-Android was as seamless it would be great!

Reactions: samori01 and EMEV
Anyone experiencing low volume in the latest version 2023.4.1.1. I have to turn it all the way to max to hear songs. I'm using Android Auto.
The low volume existed in the prior version, I mentioned this. And by low volume meaning low campared to the Tesla radio or other audio sources. I literally need to turn the volume down before switching back to the Tesla audio sources. I’m not sure this relates to the Tesla-Android solution because I experience the same thing with the T2C solution. I’m using CarPlay via an IOS device.

Seems slower than previous release. I timed it before, and I think I posted the results. Even before it was too slow.

Ideally I'd love to see a feature with this system where it would intelligently shut down and turn on as you exited and entered the car.

The Tesla is so awesome. You open the door, sit down, put the car in gear and go. Don't have to start the engine, push a start button or anything. This hack is rough. You can get in the car and go, but if the WiFi is not connected you can a) wait for it to connect before you start driving or b) start driving then click the car icon, then the LTE icon in upper right, turn on WiFi, wait and wait for it to connect (sometimes it's connected but doesn't show it), then open browser and load page.

The 9" Hannshow was much better at this. It would come on and go off like magic with the car. Although it kinda sucks as a CarPlay device due to lots of weird things about it, plus the awkward placement.

If Tesla-Android was as seamless it would be great!
The boot is definitely slower by 10-15 secs, not 2:32 more like 30 to 35 secs.

What do you mean by boot time? My timing of 2:32 is for the WiFi (9.9.0.1) to be available to able to open the Tesla Android page on the browser page.
Perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant by “it took 2:32 for it to have WiFi up and working”. I’m referring the time it takes upon entering the vehicle and seeing the Tesla-Android Wi-Fi show up. Opening the page does add more time.

2023.4.2 is up now