Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my iphone hotspot tethered to the TeslaAndroid Pi via ethernet using a TP Link mobile router TL-MR3020

This makes it possible to have Carplay and have internet access on both the Pi and the car while driving

View attachment 918587
Did wireless CarPlay work with this setup? Or did you need to use wired because phone was acting as Wi-Fi hotspot?

Did wireless CarPlay work with this setup? Or did you need to use wired because phone was acting as Wi-Fi hotspot?
I am using only wired CarPlay as my Carlinkit thingy does no longer do wireless. It did wireless until I agreed on the update for Autokit when prompted. I think it did not do the Wifi tether over the TP Link router with wireless Carplay. Is wireless CarPlay also using wifi to the Carlinkit dongle?

I am using only wired CarPlay as my Carlinkit thingy does no longer do wireless. It did wireless until I agreed on the update for Autokit when prompted. I think it did not do the Wifi tether over the TP Link router with wireless Carplay. Is wireless CarPlay also using wifi to the Carlinkit dongle?
Yup, wireless CarPlay uses phone Wi-Fi to transmit video stream from phone to carlinkit dongle.

Hmm wireless CarPlay not working after autokit updated, in autokit preferences …check to see if the connection method is manual or automatic. If it is set the manual, you’d need to press the Bluetooth icon on autokit to start wireless CarPlay. You can set it to automatic and this makes dongle try wireless first. You might have to go over initial steps of making wireless CarPlay setup. That being said, wired CarPlay is a bit faster & you charge your phone up too 😀

Reactions: **BatteryLow**
Yup, wireless CarPlay uses phone Wi-Fi to transmit video stream from phone to carlinkit dongle.

Hmm wireless CarPlay not working after autokit updated, in autokit preferences …check to see if the connection method is manual or automatic. If it is set the manual, you’d need to press the Bluetooth icon on autokit to start wireless CarPlay. You can set it to automatic and this makes dongle try wireless first. You might have to go over initial steps of making wireless CarPlay setup. That being said, wired CarPlay is a bit faster & you charge your phone up too 😀
what are these initial steps of making wireless CarPlay setup?

I got my iphone hotspot tethered to the TeslaAndroid Pi via ethernet using a TP Link mobile router TL-MR3020

This makes it possible to have Carplay and have internet access on both the Pi and the car while driving

View attachment 918587
I see you're using a pi400. Last time I checked (quite some time ago) Teslandroid couldn't run on a pi400 (HDMI loopback). Before I loose your post, did you do anything in particular or simply flashed the sd card? Cheers

Nice. I have the TP-Link AC750 was planning to do the same as a test due to a Twitter question about this exact scenario.
So after having good results tethering my iphone to TeslaAndroid Pi over ethernet using the TP Link MR-3020 (2.4Ghz only) I tried upgrading to the TP-Link AC750 that can do 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH) but it has difficulties reconnecting to my iphone 12 personal hotspot. I tried both operating modes Client & WISP. While at home I can get it to find my iphones hotspot at 5Ghz wifi using the scanning function in tplinkwifi.net, it will not reconnect when I take my setup into the car.
Anybody here that can help me getting a stable connection with this?

Did you manage to get your TP link AC750 working in your car setup?
I did get the TP Link AC750 router working with my Raspberry Pi running Tesla Android/Android operating system. I do not use it often though, no real need. A few weeks ago I was testing to see if it improved the LTE connection via better caching of DNS info. I did not notice a big difference. However, I was using the router in a different mode than what you would be trying to do. I plug the USB modem in to the router's USB port and the router is plugged in to Pi's ethernet port. The router has a special mode for sharing a USB modem's connection. The TP Link AC750 travel router has many modes of operation. I've not tried to set it up to be a bridge between a WIFI hotspot (phone) and share the connection via router's ethernet. I don't really have a need to do that because my phone plan only offers 2GB of hotspot data and plugging the iPhone in to raspberry pi USB port works for me. If I had a lot of free time, I'd be interested in experimenting but these days, I don't have a lot of free time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerome8283
Downloading this right now!! Thanks for sharing.

Question for you other guys running this. The web browser and some media apps like Youtube now crash instantly on my 2021 Model Y. What can I do to reset this? I've tried everything so far including rebooting the car.. and clearing my browser cache.

REMEMBER to clear tesla web browser cache before connecting to a new versions’s web front end at 9.9.0.1 . Failure to do so can result in disconnections & poor performance. Why? Part of tesla android web app remains in tesla browser’s cache & a page reload won’t update the cache. If you forget, turn off pi. Clear tesla browser cache & turn on pi.

• Helpful
Reactions: Daekwan