Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
your mileage may vary…Tip, sometimes Bluetooth audio such as music or podcast seems muffled, distorted or stutters when tesla-anderoid starts up.
solution: go to tesla usb audio source menu in tesla infotainment. Push pause and play again. The audio will stop and resume. When audio resumes it won’t be distorted

your mileage may vary…Tip, sometimes Bluetooth audio such as music or podcast seems muffled, distorted or stutters when tesla-anderoid starts up.
solution: go to tesla usb audio source menu in tesla infotainment. Push pause and play again. The audio will stop and resume. When audio resumes it won’t be distorted
Turned out my autokit app prefs reverted probably when I downgraded. My audio was set to output from “box” (carlinkit hardware) rather than Bluetooth which is what tesla anderoid manual suggests. Changing the setting corrected the issue.

Autokit resolution & FPS settings & Siri audio.

My pi is over locked per tesla-android instructions. I’m using autokit 2022.04.29.1750 since newer versions have seemed less stable . My carlinkit box was updated to 2022.04.25.1317 .

I have found that setting resolution to 850x648 & FPS (frames per second) to 25 result in a more stable CarPlay experience. Also Siri voice doesn’t seem to cut in & out in the middle of speech as often. I was using 60FPS & 30 before at all resolutions and still had significant Siri speech issues.

Note, my car is still stuck on Tesla firmware 2022.28.2 which has a web browser bug that affects performance so not sure if that’s why these dialed down settings work better for me.

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
Thanks for the response :) I am using Terminal on a Mac M1 machine. Latest developer tools (dated August 16th) and also added directory path. Everything other command prior to the last two (formatting user data and meta data) worked great.. so frustrating to be right at the end arrgghhhh

Did you ever find the answer? I tried today on M1 iMac and got same errors on last 2 steps.

I finally got Tesla firmware 2022.36.x which supposedly has a www browser fix according to developer (Mike) which results in improved performance. So I changed my autokit settings to highest resolution & 60FPS 🤣. I have a lot of driving to do today so let’s see how this goes. Anyone else notice improvements after getting the new tesla firmware?

I finally got Tesla firmware 2022.36.x which supposedly has a www browser fix according to developer (Mike) which results in improved performance. So I changed my autokit settings to highest resolution & 60FPS 🤣. I have a lot of driving to do today so let’s see how this goes. Anyone else notice improvements after getting the new tesla firmware?
Lucky you. Mine is still on 2022.24.13 so not sure if the new update from Michal would improve anything. I noticed one thing that if there is no internet on the box, the visual on the Tesla is stuttering and lagging. It came back smoothly after disconnecting from the Pi wifi

Wow what a difference tesla firmware 2022.36.5 made! Very good. the only issue I had was first activation of the day required a power down and power on again. I did a lot of driving & did not experience unresponsive screens. i was able to bump resolution to the highest of the three values and keep Fps at 30. Siri audio and nav was usually clear.

Reactions: evNewbee
Looks like the Carlinkit people are copying Michals idea

Their product seems to integrate the sim card slot into the box too so we dont need to purchase a separate hotspot dongle. I’d say it’s not bad for an all-in-one solution

I suspect carlinkit will decide to not come out with this product. Too hard & costly for them to maintain. Tesla can & will change browser tech which would affect performance as we saw in tesla firmware 2022.28.x . Carlinkit has been horrible at customer service, providing updates (try downgrading to an older version if you didn’t save the install file) & decent release notes.
At least Perth Mike’s open source project, we can all learn from it by reading the data checked in to GitHub. We all can have a copy on our computers. At this point, many of us can help Mike add & test. Long live open source. 🤣

Just read the release notes and there is a new way to load the image that does not require fastboot but needs a 64GB or greater SD card. The release notes does not say if you can use the old fastboot method to use a smaller SD Card.
Yep, sounds so much easier to set up now. Just download an image and flash it to an SD card. I frequently wondered why it wasn't done that way before.