Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
REMEMBER to clear tesla web browser cache before connecting to a new versions’s web front end at 9.9.0.1 . Failure to do so can result in disconnections & poor performance. Why? Part of tesla android web app remains in tesla browser’s cache & a page reload won’t update the cache. If you forget, turn off pi. Clear tesla browser cache & turn on pi.

Great advice, because this issue didn't start until I began using the Tesla Android solution. So it was almost guaranteed to cause the issue.

Between clearing the browser cache and the car receiving the 2023.6.12.1.1 OTA system update last night. Everything is back working to normal.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Tesla android 2023.18.1 Important Readme

Updating your Raspberry Pi firmware might be needed. If the tesla android hotspot doesn’t appear after the second system boot up you should definitely read this post in tesla android Reddit community. It solved the issue for 2 out of 2 cases so far.

I’ll also make an edit to the official documentation about this for Mike the dev to approve.

Anyone else experiencing more lag on latest build vs previous?
Maybe update pi firmware if an update is available? Seems some recent firmware updates pertain to Wi-Fi & Bluetooth .

Updating your Raspberry Pi firmware might be needed. If the tesla android hotspot doesn’t appear after the second system boot up you should definitely read this post in tesla android Reddit community. It solved the issue for 2 out of 2 cases so far.

Maybe update pi firmware if an update is available? Seems some recent firmware updates pertain to Wi-Fi & Bluetooth .

You have link? It doesn’t work

Also @ElectricAnt54 what microSD card do you suggest using. Im using like a 10 year old Samsung 64GB card. Figure it might be time for a newer 128GB one.
I use this. But something with similar speed specifications will be good. Don’t go faster, as people reported it can cause the pi to not boot.

Attachments

• IMG_9502.jpeg
    IMG_9502.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Helpful
Reactions: Daekwan
Yes, much lag in audio in my latest build. will try the pi firmware update
This thread is originally about CarPlay & tesla android. So in that use case, I see no audio lag when using CarPlay. I have set autokit audio destination to be Bluetooth & I ensure tesla vehicle is set to use my phone Bluetooth as the audio source. These are the long time recommended settings in the TA install guide.

Reactions: Daekwan
Is anyone still using a IK41VE modem with the new update, mine was working fine but now not working with the new update
I use the USA IK41UC M2M which is equivalent to the European IK41VE1 IoT version & have no issues. Two weeks ago my modem stopped working temporarily while testing an early version of this TA release & modem was extremely hot. I unplugged it…let it cool..plugged it in & it worked. No extremely hot midem since then.

I use the USA IK41UC M2M which is equivalent to the European IK41VE1 IoT version & have no issues. Two weeks ago my modem stopped working temporarily while testing an early version of this TA release & modem was extremely hot. I unplugged it…let it cool..plugged it in & it worked. No extremely hot midem since then.
Thanks for confirming, I've tried it over the last few days but no joy, has been working for ages but just flashes orange now with no connection, I remember we run a separate script at the beginning to get it to work but believe we don't need that anymore with the later builds.

Thanks for confirming, I've tried it over the last few days but no joy, has been working for ages but just flashes orange now with no connection, I remember we run a separate script at the beginning to get it to work but believe we don't need that anymore with the later builds.
The script you mention checks to see if modem is in MBIM mode & if so, permanently puts the modem in RNDIS mode. So “in theory”, the script only affects your modem once.

Maybe check to see that you have 4G data left in your cellular plan. If I run out of 4G data, my provider falls back to 3G which no longer exists in USA so I end up with no connection at all. Perhaps you have same issue? That reminds me I need to switch to a provider that will throttle 4G rather than cut my connectivity totally 🤣. Mint mobile here I come….

Perhaps make a thread for this topic in the Reddit community. There are a few more European users there too.