Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can. I've used when I loaned by cigarette usb power adapter + usb-A / usb-c cable with power switch to a friend. I believe in my blog I post why I use a usb-A to usb-c cable with power switch. Might want to read the info if you have not already.
Actually the blog page doesn’t mention why us a-a to usb-c with power switch is suggested. Here is why, I tried 3 different usb-c cables with switches and none would power the pi for some reason. Only usb-a to usb-c with a switch worked.

Reactions: Futaba
I use this Baseus 120 watts 12v charger with extension cord for less cable clutter around the center console

€ 26,60 40% Off | Baseus 4 Port 120W Usb Autolader Quick Lading Pps Snel Opladen Pd 20W Type C Auto-oplader voor Iphone 12 Xiaomi Samsung Tablet

F5C793E9-3243-472B-9BD5-00BD4052AFC2.png

Is everyone here using the Alcatel lte dongle for internet?
i do. I’m in USA. in USA I think the official requirements guides say we only have option to use Alcatel In North America, but read them yourself as I have not looked at them lately. I recall one person in USA posted that they used an indeego branded phone in an earlier release of tesla android no idea if it still works as it was not on the officially supported list. I mention the inseego modem in this blog page:

Does tesla android work better on a

Compute Module 4?​

I’d ask this question in the Reddit community. The dev has been looking in to supporting CM4 and similar form factor which use different chip,types. To my knowledge they are not officially supported yet best to ask in Reddit.

From what I deduce , benefit is mostly for older cars with weak wifi antenna. The cm4 and other offer ability to use external wifi antenna which can transmit a stronger wifi signal than raspberry pi.

Reactions: Greybeard707
Actually the blog page doesn’t mention why us a-a to usb-c with power switch is suggested. Here is why, I tried 3 different usb-c cables with switches and none would power the pi for some reason. Only usb-a to usb-c with a switch worked.
I have just realized the weirdness of this! I plugged in a usb c to usb an adapter, then a usb a to usb c cable, then a rpi usb c female to usb c male power switch, and it worked. Yet, if I skip the usb adapter and go the direct usb c connections, it does not work. Thanks for mentioning this.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
So you guys need a cable with the switch for it to power the rpi?
You do not need a cable with a switch to power the pi but I find it useful. For example, sometimes I do not want to use CarPlay & I don’t want the pi to power up & I want to avoid wear and tear associated with plugging in and unplugging cables. I can simply leave the power switch in off position.

• Helpful
Reactions: Yipsan and BMW740iL
Tesla Android 2023.20.1 just went live 🔥
Link to free open source project home page.

Important:
  1. No GPS data from tesla browser yet 😉. #1 question.
  2. Read install guide, even if you use OTA. There are very handy tips about the new features from top to bottom within the guide.
  3. CLEAR TESLA BROWSER CACHE WHEN REBOOTING PI AFTER OVER THE AIR (OTA) UPDATE OR BEFORE USING NEW VERSION OF AN IMAGE FILE.
  4. Instead of up numbers, a url (words) are used in tesla browser to connect to PI, read the homepage’s install guide for the info.
  5. If you test at home before using in car, use chrome or Firefox but not safari.
What’s changed?

- 5GHz Wi-Fi(50% more bandwidth). You can change back to 2.4Ghz via the flutter web app settings panel.

- Configurable offline mode (blocking telemetry and firmware downloads from Tesla)

- Early full screen support while parked.
… and much more 😎

It’s the fastest build to date, enjoy! 🚀
IMG_9799.jpeg

Tesla Android 2023.20.1 just went live 🔥
Link to free open source project home page.

Important:
  1. No GPS data from tesla browser yet 😉. #1 question.
  2. Read install guide, even if you use OTA. There are very handy tips about the new features from top to bottom within the guide.
  3. CLEAR TESLA BROWSER CACHE WHEN REBOOTING PI AFTER OVER THE AIR (OTA) UPDATE OR BEFORE USING NEW VERSION OF AN IMAGE FILE.
  4. Instead of up numbers, a url (words) are used in tesla browser to connect to PI, read the homepage’s install guide for the info.
  5. If you test at home before using in car, use chrome or Firefox but not safari.
What’s changed?

- 5GHz Wi-Fi(50% more bandwidth). You can change back to 2.4Ghz via the flutter web app settings panel.

- Configurable offline mode (blocking telemetry and firmware downloads from Tesla)

- Early full screen support while parked.
… and much more 😎

It’s the fastest build to date, enjoy! 🚀
View attachment 940044

version 2023.20.1 has been pulled. A new version will be released in near future.

Trying to go full screen ends in some error about dns
Also didn’t see a full screen button.
Any suggestions?
if you are typing in a URL manually to enter full screen mode, that could be the problem. The url name has changed a few times so you might be typing in the wrong url.

I’m still using the beta version of what became the release but tonight I’ll install the same release as you after I pick up another microSD.

The full screen button can be accessed by pushing the red ribbon icon in upper right corner. The flutter app preferences will appear and full screen button should be in upper right.

if you are typing in a URL manually to enter full screen mode, that could be the problem. The url name has changed a few times so you might be typing in the wrong url.

I’m still using the beta version of what became the release but tonight I’ll install the same release as you after I pick up another microSD.

The full screen button can be accessed by pushing the red ribbon icon in upper right corner. The flutter app preferences will appear and full screen button should be in upper right.
you are right, I typed in the url and it failed.

I just tried again, and realize the button is hidden on the upper corner you mentioned. I just tried and it responded with the warning, and I agreed and it went full screen. its cool to have this feature. although I have no other app on android, so cannot really test movies and such. maybe I need to drop some movies in to see how well it runs.

thanks!

Reactions: ElectricAnt54