Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cat 5 tracker required ;(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully my M3P is being offloaded the Grand Mark as I type...

Our fleet insurers Allianz require a CAT5 compliant ‘Tracker’ (the Tesla standard security

does not match this requirement).

Anyone managed to successfully challenge this?

In terms of the tracker required

Allianz state that the ‘SmarTrack’ Cat5 & ‘Vodafone Protect’ are both compatible with the

Tesla’s as far as they are aware

I have the Vodafone protect system / fob on our hydrogen Nexo and it is a nuisance.

Having to carry around a fob somewhat diminishes the appeal of using just my phone as the key..

Advice and experiences welcomed ;)

Does live tracking your car via the app not count then? I’m not sure if this can be disabled in the car? I guess The app just uses the Sim, but you have to take bits out to remove the sim. I suppose it’s easier to find than a hidden tracker though.

Some high end trackers also use radiowaves (I think) to broadcast in short range so if the car was to go underground you can go to where it was last seen and use a receiver/scanner to figure out where it is.
Might be worth looking into adding one of these to the built in gps will be enough for your insurance

It might be worth double checking what the insurers requirements actually are. My firm has a policy of tracker for all firm cars, but the insurer actually only requires it for cars with a value in excess of £60k. I managed to sneak under the line by a couple of hundred quid and persuade the firm to waive their requirement so no tracker for me.

It's simply a physical fact. Radio waves get blocked. Lower frequencies penetrate more but require longer antennas (due to longer wavelength) and quickly become impractical in something like a car. Sticking a car in a metal container, especially if you've thought about it a bit beforehand, is going to block a tracker.

The tesla tracker is as good as any other.. better in some ways in that you have to rip the car apart to remove it and it's not resellable without a working SIM anyway. If someone was wanting to strip the car for parts nothing will survive that.

I am insuring our M3P myself as our fleet insurer is also Allianz. I wasn’t comfortable from a warranty point of view with having an S5 tracker fitted as the tracker company will need to bury the 2 transmitters somewhere in the car.

Tesla’s line on the warranty was that it would be fine as long as ‘no-one tampers with or opens up the car’ read that how you want but if there’s a an issue I guessed it would only go one way. On a positive note I contacted a couple of Tracker companies who said they hadn’t had any problems yet.

It’s amazing that Allianz insure the Tesla extended warranty but look like they don’t want to insure the car.

I am insuring our M3P myself as our fleet insurer is also Allianz. I wasn’t comfortable from a warranty point of view with having an S5 tracker fitted as the tracker company will need to bury the 2 transmitters somewhere in the car.

Tesla’s line on the warranty was that it would be fine as long as ‘no-one tampers with or opens up the car’ read that how you want but if there’s a an issue I guessed it would only go one way. On a positive note I contacted a couple of Tracker companies who said they hadn’t had any problems yet.

It’s amazing that Allianz insure the Tesla extended warranty but look like they don’t want to insure the car.
If they really insist on it. And it’s the only way.... maybe a Service Centre could do it and avoid voiding the Insurance?

yup - broadband jammer when they get the car - so you might be able to tell it is gone but nobody knows where it is going - then in a container aka faraday cage in an unknown location. then the parts are off to east europe.

hopefully this calms things down a bit
Hundreds of officers in raids over £4m car thefts

- for a while at least - else insurance premiums will only get worse. Mind you other high end vehicles are suffering even more - at least Tesla can try to keep ahead of the game with OTA updates. Also most major Tesla parts arte coded so there is some chance of following the "supply chain" if enforcement has enough time, resources and will power.

To disable live tracking in a tesla you just need to drive underground/stick it in a container. Some dedicated trackers are more resilient than this.

I have worked with containers a lot over the years and have been very suprised when my moby does work in a container with the doors shut. Not saying it would always happen reliably but signal strength is somehow maintained. If you are wondering why I would lock myself in a container......its when there are portable generators rattling away and you need a quiet place to use the moby. :):p

Thanks for all the input. Ended up ditching our corporate fleet insurers and insured personally with Direct Line. Much cheaper and no tracker required. Did charge me over an extra £100 for bringing forward the policy start day by 4 days.. outrageous !