Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution: Driving while firmware is updating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised you can put it in Drive, actually. You really shouldn’t touch the car after you start an update until the app sends you the ‘Update Complete’ notification.
Good thing everything else worked!

Yes yes. + 1 OP, Like others, I would never attempt an update while away from home. You never know, that one time that things get shot to hell you stranded. Murphy's Law you know ;)

This might not be best practice, but unlikely to be an issue as the drive components are not on the same hardware as the center console. Similar to the ability to reboot the console while driving. It’s also probably a lot more jarring on a 3 than an S/X because there’s no alternative instrument display.

I would recommend it, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal either.

If what that one former Tesla employee wrote in that awful place was true I wouldn't do it.

the firmware update process in a car is complicated because you have a bunch of dumb components hanging off of CAN or LIN and they have to updated in very specific order and sometimes you have to retry 10s of times to get it to take. ( gently caress you Bosch)

I was bringing in my groceries and left my Frunk open. An hour later I got an update notification and started the update not remembering the frunk was still open. It worked fine, but it seems about halfway through the car alarm started going crazy which was kind of annoying for both me and my neighbors. The car is a bit unpredictable during updates to say the least.

Can I drive my car during a software update?

During a software update, you are unable to drive your car as a safety measure. We recommend scheduling update installations when your car is not needed for driving.

source: New Owner Frequently Asked Questions

I wonder if this was an oversight in the release, and should be submitted as a bug to Tesla. I've noted that during the update various systems get restarted, including headlights, locks, etc. It may be that other systems can be reset during the process, including those that are responsible for driving controls. I would not feel comfortable telling anyone to drive during an update, and I also would not assume that if it worked once without a hitch, it would do so again in the future.

I was bringing in my groceries and left my Frunk open. An hour later I got an update notification and started the update not remembering the frunk was still open. It worked fine, but it seems about halfway through the car alarm started going crazy which was kind of annoying for both me and my neighbors. The car is a bit unpredictable during updates to say the least.
I wouldn't call that unpredictable at all. Odd that it let you start an update with the frunk open, but not surprising at all (to me) that it might be angry part way through systems checks during the update.

Just to be perfectly clear, I do not recommend that anyone else try this and I would never do this again. But it is nice to know that nothing awful happened and the car was able to drive while it was updating itself. Big props to Tesla.

I believe the latest firmware was installed completely and I was able to play the buggy game after the install. All other features of the car also are working as before.

I have never had to reboot after a firmware update and everything has gone smoothly with my updates. This includes my 2013 Model S. I believe the firmware updates are designed to reboot the car's computer automatically after they has been installed.

As for charging, interesting comment on ‘reduced’. Our X and 3 completely stop charging and restart charging when almost done updating. Not sure how you continue to have reduced charging when rebooting. :D

I assume it’s cutting off when it’s rebooting as part of the upgrade. Never have unplugged the cars (especially now since usually update remotely) and never had a problem from that, either.

And my usual comment on rebooting afterwards is that when you don’t there often is a problem that rebooting fixes and it hurts nothing to reboot again. We have no idea that the reboot that’s a part of the process is after everything is completed.

This might not be best practice, but unlikely to be an issue as the drive components are not on the same hardware as the center console.

Doesn't matter. A firmware update can update any and all parts of the car, at any time. The FW updates aren't limited to the center console (MCU/touchscreen). While it's true that it's perfectly safe to reboot the non-driving-critical MCU while driving, the same can not be said for firmware updates.

But it is nice to know that nothing awful happened and the car was able to drive while it was updating itself. Big props to Tesla.

Nothing awful happened this time. You were just lucky. What if the update decided to update the inverter, braking, or ABS while you were driving, and lost control of the car and killed someone? What then? And absolutely no 'big props' to Tesla, in fact, it's the opposite. They should fully disable the ability to drive the car during an update specifically because any driving-critical module or component could be updated, including the inverter, BMS, autopilot, brakes, etc. Just because were able to do something once doesn't mean that it was designed that way or that it's safe to do in the future.

Yes yes. + 1 OP, Like others, I would never attempt an update while away from home. You never know, that one time that things get shot to hell you stranded. Murphy's Law you know ;)

Eh, I did the update 2 days ago from 1500
Miles away. I’m on vacation in Mexico; Tessie is in my driveway. Worst case, I fix it when I get home. No big deal. :)

Edit: PS - re: Murphy’s Law ... “I represent that remark!”

Last edited:
Nothing awful happened this time. You were just lucky.

This. Absolutely this.

The OP's firmware update just so happened to not do anything too critical. If it had, things would be different.

I tell you what, let's get onboard a 737 MAX, get to 10,000 feet, and then start doing maintenance on all the avionics. Pull out the airspeed sensors, replace the altimeters, reboot the aileron, elevator, and rudder control modules, and take the power busses offline. I'm sure we'll be fine. o_O

I was on an 8 hour journey, and center console went black. I tried the reboot (which I have successfully done before while driving) no dice. I kept driving the dash with the speed etc was still working. 10 min later or so it started back up. However the 2nd day I owned it (new years eve 2016) it went black and speed said I was doing 70 KMH. I thought that was a little off, so I didn't speed up to the 110 kmh speed limit. After the center console came back it now said I was doing 120 kmh. Drive without console at own risk!

Just speaking for myself, I'm never in such a hurry to get an update that I could not wait until I get home and am confident that I won't need to drive the car for the next hour or so. I am surprised that the car allowed itself to be driven during an update. Either there's some reason we don't know why it was not actually unsafe, maybe just in this case, or else this is a very serious bug. Maybe the update of all critical stuff was complete and the car just had to reboot the screen.