Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution: Driving while firmware is updating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it any wonder why we can't have nice things.
First someone does something really unsafe they were specifically warned not to do.
Then some other idiot makes a video of it and sticks in on youtube to prove how much more important views are than not being an idiot.
Logical conclusion will be that someone else will try the same thing but crash the car then try to sue Tesla.
My faith in humanity is waning fast.

Reactions: brandonee916
Pretty sure they warn against it on the "update now" screen.

There are plenty of products that you wouldn't think needed to have proper use explained...but it's 2019. someone has used every product wrong at least once, necessitating some dumb sounding warning labels.

Assuming that anyone will ever read (and heed) a warning message is virtually the worst solution.

A much better solution is for software devs to make their software behave better when the user takes it off the "happy path".

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
is it any wonder why we can't have nice things.
First someone does something really unsafe they were specifically warned not to do.
Then some other idiot makes a video of it and sticks in on youtube to prove how much more important views are than not being an idiot.
Logical conclusion will be that someone else will try the same thing but crash the car then try to sue Tesla.
My faith in humanity is waning fast.

You had faith in humanity? :eek:

Reactions: Twiglett
Assuming that anyone will ever read (and heed) a warning message is virtually the worst solution.

Warning labels are for the lawyers. When somebody sticks their hand into a garbage disposal while it's running and then tries to sue the manufacturer, the lawyer can say "But we posted a warning label. We're not at fault." OTOH, if there's no warning label, the idiot will say "How was I supposed to know I shouldn't stick my hand in there while it's running? There was no warning label." Thus we have ridiculous warning labels like "Don't eat the thumb tacks."

Milli and I were driving along in Arid Zona when we got a notification about an update. We weren't doing anything. Sure. Go ahead and update.

It did. No issues, no worries, no problems. I can see no reason why an update can't happen while one is driving. If there were an issue, the firmware should block it from happening. As I've had my Teslas update whenever and wherever over near seven years and a cumulative 180,000 miles, I think I see irrational fear or unreasoning doubt here. Obviously one can update with no problems while driving.

Tell me about the time you had to pull over because the car quit driving during an update and I might believe you. Otherwise, it's all FUD.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Milli and I were driving along in Arid Zona when we got a notification about an update. We weren't doing anything. Sure. Go ahead and update.

It did. No issues, no worries, no problems. I can see no reason why an update can't happen while one is driving. If there were an issue, the firmware should block it from happening. As I've had my Teslas update whenever and wherever over near seven years and a cumulative 180,000 miles, I think I see irrational fear or unreasoning doubt here. Obviously one can update with no problems while driving.

Tell me about the time you had to pull over because the car quit driving during an update and I might believe you. Otherwise, it's all FUD.

What if it were the update to the brake controller - you know, the one issued after the Consumer Reports article? Would you really want to be driving while a life-critical system is updating?

If so, you’ve reached Bob Wilson “stay the hell off the road so you don’t kill any of the rest of us” territory.

Every time I've seen the update message, it says something like "During the update you will not be able to drive or use the screen." I took that to mean driving would be disabled, and I still think that's the case. If you can drive, it's probably safe.
Worst case, you can always brake and steer, which are absolutely the most important abilities for a moving vehicle.

I don't think I'd try updating while driving. It's possible I'd need to drive unexpectedly after starting an update - I'd try if I had to.

A much better solution is for software devs to make their software behave better when the user takes it off the "happy path".

it absolves them of responsibility for your negligence. by the same token, shampoo manufacturers may get their point across if they spoke to each of us one on one, but the "not to be used internally" warning will have to do.

And absolutely no 'big props' to Tesla, in fact, it's the opposite. They should fully disable the ability to drive the car during an update specifically because any driving-critical module or component could be updated, including the inverter, BMS, autopilot, brakes, etc. Just because were able to do something once doesn't mean that it was designed that way or that it's safe to do in the future.

The car knows what the update contains and what components will be updated. I'd argue if nothing safety-critical is being updated, the update *should* allow (but perhaps discourage) driving. You never know when that dam upstream is going to fail or some dummy starts a forest fire and you are given an evacuation order... the amount of time the car cannot be driven should be minimized.

I suppose it's possible the car already does this, but I'm not about to try driving during every update just to see if it'll sometimes say "no".

Yeah, I really want the car at home so I can spend two days on the phone with Tesla there and not in a parking lot or wait for the flatbed to drag it to Tyson’s so they can ignore it for a week. <shudder>

GF is going to a conference 8 hours away in the 3. She has forbade me from updating her car for the duration. Ooookay.... it only screwed it up totally once..... :D

Does anyone know what the mechanics of an update are? I couldn't find anything on it. I would assume that a software update consists of 3 to 5 phases:

1. Downloading the firmware into flash.
2. Reading it back to make sure it was written correctly.
3. Rebooting the system.
Based on some observations someone wrote while sitting in the car during an OTA update (something I'm going to try next time!) there might be 2 additional steps, if applying the update set a special flag.
4. During the first boot after an update it might run extra diagnostics that are not run during a normal boot.
If the system has two flash areas each of which can hold an entire load, and the updated was applied when A was active and now we are running the new load on B; then if the update failed it might have the ability to switch back to A. In other words, back out the new update.
5. An additional boot might be required in the normal case (probably not; clearing that flag should be enough); but if it has the ability to back out of an update then definitely there would be a second reboot.

Going back to the original thread; here should be no impact to the user during steps 1 and 2. The reboot is the scary part I think.

And of course you wouldn’t utter a word of complaint if one update caused your car to stall on the highway or at a traffic light.
How can heeding a warning from the company be irrational?
Seems more like rampant recklessness to ignore it and instead relying on blind luck because it happened to work before.

I was reading this thread while cooking my Tide Pods (apparently eating them raw is dangerous because of E. California bacteria). I don't see what the big deal is. Control of a 3 ton moving vehicle is not critical to its safe operation.

Seriously though, Tesla needs to implement a few software changes to have end users click through 3 red flashing prompts with the confirm button moving to different locations on the screen. The option to update while moving might be necessary in an emergency but it should have the end user input some confirmation code - maybe some 4 digit pin or something. Most every computer nerd knows to not mess around when updating firmware on a PC. When you take a computer to a car you're going to have to dumb it down.

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva