Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution Model X, Hidden Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do not understand how there can be so much variation in tire wear, on cars with pretty much fixed alignment values, assuming no accident damage, and similar driving habits. I would love to have the alignment values that Josephponline posted but not sure I am ready to invest in the modifications to achieve them.

Based on my first set of OEM tires, now replaced by a second set of OEM tires, I am not expecting to get much over 25k miles on the rears, outside tread will be fine at that point, inside will be down to steel cord, all with alignment in spec. I suspect the culprit is the non adjustable rear camber, which by definition is the same on all since it is fixed, yet some get twice the mileage on their tires. I would sacrifice some reduction in handling in order to have more even tire wear but don't think I can get there without adjustable links. I guess I either pay the price in more frequent tire replacement or in the purchase of adjustable links, but still does not answer the question of why are some vehicles not experiencing this.
I think there are two variables contributing to the different experiences. 1. Alignment ex: factory which will be in an acceptable range, but not necessarily fixed. 2. Driving behaviors. If I drove in standard all the time I think my inner rear tire wear would have been much less pronounced. Because I’m generally always on freeways over 65mph, and the car defaulting to low, I don’t think my rear tires stood a chance.

I think there are two variables contributing to the different experiences. 1. Alignment ex: factory which will be in an acceptable range, but not necessarily fixed. 2. Driving behaviors. If I drove in standard all the time I think my inner rear tire wear would have been much less pronounced. Because I’m generally always on freeways over 65mph, and the car defaulting to low, I don’t think my rear tires stood a chance.

So this is also an interesting point. Does anybody know what mode the car is aligned in? A car that is dialed in for standard, but is driven in very low or low is going to have substantially different alignment values.

Reactions: Josephponline
On another thread talking about the front axles breaking on the MX and another member posted this video (
) which is pretty recent - April 2021. The tech explains much of what's being discussed on this thread in the first 5 mins. I found it to be pretty helpful. Not sure how good the product offered in the video is (looks like it's brand new) but will be interesting to follow or hear from folks who have installed them.

So this is also an interesting point. Does anybody know what mode the car is aligned in? A car that is dialed in for standard, but is driven in very low or low is going to have substantially different alignment values.
Not sure it will make much difference since neither rear toe, or rear camber is adjustable unless you have replaced factory links with aftermarket adjustable links.

I keep the suspension on standard to deal with this, seems to have helped so far.
Any idea how much (or how little) this affects your efficiency at freeway speeds? I don't lower until 65, but I'm thinking maybe I should turn automatic lowering off for the same reason.
I climbed under my car yesterday. At about 26k miles the back insides are completely worn out but metal is not showing yet. I had adjusted to 65 mph the lowering setting from 55 in the last tire set. I had gotten close to 29k but part of that was riding on metal so I feel my mileage is exactly the same and the lowering setting had no affect.

So I will monitor the rears weekly and as soon as I see any hint of metal it will be off to get new tires.
If you're running the OEM Conti's, that might not be good enough, mine were showing belt in one spot and looked fine the rest of the way around, so the odds of me seeing it before I felt vibration from the belt were slim to none. I've not seen that kind of uneven wear around a tire before, so I assume the OEMs are just excessively cheap and I'm on Conti DSW's now. I'll probably still inspect them all around every time I change to my winter tires, but I don't expect to see that again.

Gee this thread is interesting. Is this a new issue with newer MX? Reason I ask is because one of my cars is a late 2016 MX and I have never had this issue. All 4 tires wear perfectly evenly.
Mine's a very early 2016 and it has the issue.

BTW I set my lowering speed to 65 from 55 and I am not confident it made any difference. I am now at 23,000 miles and may not make it to 28,000 like I did the first pair.

Mine's a very early 2016 and it has the issue.

BTW I set my lowering speed to 65 from 55 and I am not confident it made any difference. I am now at 23,000 miles and may not make it to 28,000 like I did the first pair.
That's good info. I wonder if the suspension lowering speed is some of the difference. I have mine set at 90 mph so that it practically never lowers. My first set of tires got about 27,000 miles with even wear and I still had some level tread left.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I leave my ride height at standard hoping it would help, but after 25K miles the insides are worn down on my DWS06 so will be replacing soon. I'm not sure if an alignment would help as 25K seems to be about the average for tires on the X.
I was worn down to 6/32, evenly on all tires at 33,000 miles. I could have easily made it to 40,000, except for a 6-inch gash provided by a tire seeking brick. I run in low all the time. Good wheel alignment is critical.

Thanks for the info, does your suspension lower at freeway speeds? I set mine to "never".
Mine is set to never, but I think I am going to change it back as I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Although wonder if it will help with the longevity of my air suspension since it won't be going up and down as much. Just went past my warranty, still debating if extended warranty is worth it as I imagine my suspension will be the first thing to go.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I was worn down to 6/32, evenly on all tires at 33,000 miles. I could have easily made it to 40,000, except for a 6-inch gash provided by a tire seeking brick. I run in low all the time. Good wheel alignment is critical.
Thanks for the info. I don't have that heavy of a foot so I would have thought my tires should last longer. Guess I will go bring it in to get aligned after I get my tires installed. Which tires do you use?

Thanks for the info. I don't have that heavy of a foot so I would have thought my tires should last longer. Guess I will go bring it in to get aligned after I get my tires installed. Which tires do you use?
The OEM Continentals. Replacements purchased from Tesla. I have had no problems with them, although I have had the car aligned three times.

Reactions: dailo