Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCI or HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im about a month into my MS and debating what my next move should be as far as upgrades/accessories. I have twin chargers but I don't know if I would ever need to charge that fast at home. However, I do think it would look pretty slick in the garage.

I was also thinking of getting the aftermarket CCI.

Any opinions out there? If you have a HPWC did you find it actually came in hand from time to time? Any options on the aftermarket CCI?

[QUOTE="Manzacoty, post: 1897622, member: 54629"... CCI?[/QUOTE]

What's CCI?

NYSE ticket CCI means Crown Castle International Corp.

Top googe is ammunition company, Cardiovascular Credentialing International...

Tesla HPWC is not as expensive as other alternative EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment).

Last edited:
You don't need dual chargers to use a HPWC. When it gets installed, it will be set for the maximum charge it can deliver based on the circuit wiring. If a Tesla with a single charger is hooked up to it, the car will only draw 40 or 48 amps of current (depending on when the car was built) even if the HPWC is installed on a 100 amp circuit (which permits 80 amps of charging). If you hook a car with dual chargers up to it, the car will draw the 80 amps and charge twice as fast.

If you install an HPWC on a 60 amp circuit, a car will either draw 40 or 48 amps depending on its configuration as the HPWC will not provide more than 48 amps of current.

Think of it this way -- while the HPWC is called a High Power Wall Charger, in fact it is not a wall charger...it is simply a plug with a certain amount of power available. The charger is built into the car and the car will draw the lesser of (a) the onboard charger's capacity or (b) what the circuit will allow.

This is why many people go with a simply a 14-50 outlet and use the universal connector cable -- especially when the price differential is so much compared to buying a HPWC. Now that the HPWC is down to $500 (for the 8 foot cable $500 for the 24 foot cable) the price differential compared to a second UMC cable is much less. In your case with a dual-charger equipped car, if you decide to install a HPWC, make sure your electrician installs it on a 100 amp circuit or you won't get all the charging speed your car can potentially get from a HPWC.

The top google hit for "Tesla CCI" is the Center Console Insert.

So he's debating getting a charger for the garage, or a center console insert. In other words, just looking to spend money. We've all been there...

Unfortunate day to make the decision as in 2016 you got a 1/3 tax credit for chargers. Unlikely to be extended into 2017.

• Helpful
Reactions: rhumbliner
The top google hit for "Tesla CCI" is the Center Console Insert.

So he's debating getting a charger for the garage, or a center console insert. In other words, just looking to spend money. We've all been there...

Unfortunate day to make the decision as in 2016 you got a 1/3 tax credit for chargers. Unlikely to be extended into 2017.

Yes! Sorry. I'm looking to spend money and my other option was the center console. I know it's not apples to apples.

I just realized there was a 30% tax credit for chargers. Would have been a no brainer for me yesterday....

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
It is possible that the tax credit gets extended in 2017 (the credit originally expired in 2015 and was extended by the last Congress into 2016). Of course the new Congress sworn in tomorrow is politically less in favor of tax credits or encouraging green behavior, but you may want to keep your eyes peeled...but I wouldn't sit around waiting for the tax credit.

At the end of the day you're talking roughly $500 bucks (plus install) either way...so the real question for you is which would give you more happiness -- a cool, easy to use home charging rig or a center console with cup holders, etc.?

Probably the console as I would get immediate use out of it. The HPWC wouldn't really be meaningful (other than looks) until the rare chance I would need a quick charge. If I loved in the city I would do it for PlugShare and other people to use but I'm in the country and a destination charger is about 5 minute drive from me.

My wife might get a model x or take my S when the 3's come out. So I might wait until we figure that out before I start rewiring.

Thanks for your input. Just wanted to see if either of those were a game changer for anyone.

If it was a choice between the two (and I already had some sort of home charging capability with a 14-50 outlet and my UMC and was happy with that), I'd probably go with the console...but I like having a place to set my cup of coffee and phone. Personally while I think the yacht floor looks cool, I think it is pretty impractical given the lack of other places to put things in a Model S. That said, I know other people hate the center console and love the openness of the yacht floor. Only you can answer the question for what meets your needs...

Reactions: Manzacoty
Think of it this way -- while the HPWC is called a High Power Wall Charger, in fact it is not a wall charger...it is simply a plug with a certain amount of power available. The charger is built into the car and the car will draw the lesser of (a) the onboard charger's capacity or (b) what the circuit will allow.

Actually, the "C" in HPWC stands for "connector", not "charger"

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Which one are you considering?
You have dual chargers, so can benefit more from the HPWC than many. If you decide to stick with a 14-50 outlet, I'd run 100amp wiring so adding the HPWC later is easy.

Ahh. Hindsight! I bought the car and it took men about a week to get it home. During that week I went ahead and wired the 14-50. I didn't know it had the dual chargers until after I brought it home. Dumb I know, auction car so I didnt have a sales guy walking me through every option.

I really like having the HPWC right there, ready to go, no fumbling with cables. Even my 8 year old can hook up the charger.

full