Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend in Korea, can they purchase the CCS adapter using my VIN?
You can't. Tesla now is making sure the vehicle in your account is a SK model. You would need a SK vehicle to order the adapter without Tesla canceling your order.

They have 2 adapters. One is the Korean and another is OEM. The latter is available. Anyone have any insight on this?
As far as I know, the adapter made by Tesla is no longer being sold by Harumio. The OEM non-Tesla made one isn't affected but I think it was just released so there's no reviews/info about it outside of Harumio's product page.

Reactions: OahuJC
You can't. Tesla now is making sure the vehicle in your account is a SK model. You would need a SK vehicle to order the adapter without Tesla canceling your order.

As far as I know, the adapter made by Tesla is no longer being sold by Harumio. The OEM non-Tesla made one isn't affected but I think it was just released so there's no reviews/info about it outside of Harumio's product page.
It’s in my cart but I’m not sure of checking out as there are no reviews like you said. No refunds so $230 would be gone should it not work.

They have 2 adapters. One is the Korean and another is OEM. The latter is available. Anyone have any insight on this?
The non-Tesla CCS1 adapter on Harumio looks to me like the A2Z adapter from Canada. That said, it's odd that buying from Harumio is cheaper than buying direct from A2Z; but maybe Harumio worked out a big discount and is working on razor-thin margins -- or maybe the two products just look identical in photos, and are in fact from different manufacturers.

There are significant discussions of the A2Z adapter on this forum. I don't recall if they're in this particular thread or elsewhere. In brief, those who've gotten their hands on prototypes say that they work, but the product is so new that I have yet to see any comments from anybody with a regular production sample. The A2Z product has no lock to prevent the CCS plug from being disconnected while the car is charging. As I understand it, this is a violation of the CCS1 specification, and at least in theory, it makes it less safe; but there are other safety features in CCS1, so it's unclear to me how important this omission is. Personally, I'd prefer to hold out for the Tesla adapter, or at least something with the safety interlock -- but I also have a 2019 Model 3 that's not CCS-enabled, so I need to wait for an upgrade to the charge port ECS anyhow. (I'm aware of the DIY ECS upgrade path, but I've decided not to go that route, at least not right away.)

The non-Tesla CCS1 adapter on Harumio looks to me like the A2Z adapter from Canada…

Harumio told me that their aftermarket adapters come from China. Maybe where the Canadian adapters originate?

There are significant discussions of the A2Z adapter on this forum… The A2Z product has no lock to prevent the CCS plug from being disconnected…I'd prefer to hold out for the Tesla adapter, or at least something with the safety interlock…

Yes, to all that. For peace of mind, I recommend sticking with genuine Tesla charging adapter products.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptUAL and OahuJC
The non-Tesla CCS1 adapter on Harumio looks to me like the A2Z adapter from Canada. That said, it's odd that buying from Harumio is cheaper than buying direct from A2Z; but maybe Harumio worked out a big discount and is working on razor-thin margins -- or maybe the two products just look identical in photos, and are in fact from different manufacturers.

There are significant discussions of the A2Z adapter on this forum. I don't recall if they're in this particular thread or elsewhere. In brief, those who've gotten their hands on prototypes say that they work, but the product is so new that I have yet to see any comments from anybody with a regular production sample. The A2Z product has no lock to prevent the CCS plug from being disconnected while the car is charging. As I understand it, this is a violation of the CCS1 specification, and at least in theory, it makes it less safe; but there are other safety features in CCS1, so it's unclear to me how important this omission is. Personally, I'd prefer to hold out for the Tesla adapter, or at least something with the safety interlock -- but I also have a 2019 Model 3 that's not CCS-enabled, so I need to wait for an upgrade to the charge port ECS anyhow. (I'm aware of the DIY ECS upgrade path, but I've decided not to go that route, at least not right away.)
You have your answer in the specs. Same design different specs. Harumio just changed it this morning, they removed the 150A but they advertise still less kW than A2Z.

Attachments

• 02908288-3C02-4632-B78C-C830BBFEAEBC.jpeg
    02908288-3C02-4632-B78C-C830BBFEAEBC.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 97
Any insight on this one:

I have no first-hand information. I just emailed the company and asked questions.

It is interesting that in the photos it looks exactly like the Tesla-Korea adapter (including safety lock pin). Does that mean it will also be made by Pegatron of Taiwan? Will the the materials and specifications be exactly the same as the Tesla model?

One thing I notice is that the TESPLUS website features many Hansshow products. No offense intended to anyone, and maybe things have improved. But in 2021 I became biased in general against Hansshow devices and sales practices, for example in favor of TeslaOffer (now EVOffer). Will the adapter be another Hansshow product?

For me it can be difficult to truly know who is making what, where. Since these adapters are relatively expensive, trial-and-error is not really a viable option. (Which is why the good first-hand info provided on TMC can be so valuable.)

Last edited:
(I'm aware of the DIY ECS upgrade path, but I've decided not to go that route, at least not right away.)
If it’s the extra resistors and stuff that gives you pause (honestly it would give me pause too since the car won’t know the real temperature of the charge port), one option might be to attempt getting the South Korean gen 3 charge ECU. I don’t know if anyone who’s actually tried that, but in theory it should be plug and play.

Harumio told me that their aftermarket adapters come from China. Maybe where the Canadian adapters originate?
I had been under the impression that the A2Z adapter was Canadian in origin. I looked more closely, though, and the product page includes a Canadian address for the company and a logo that specifies "proudly designed in North America." The "designed in" language is something that companies sometimes use to obscure the fact that a product, although designed one place, is being manufactured elsewhere. Thus, your hypothesis makes sense to me, and I may have been taken in by the "designed in" language when I first saw that page.
You have your answer in the specs. Same design different specs. Harumio just changed it this morning, they removed the 150A but they advertise still less kW than A2Z.
Maybe, but I've seen enough inconsistency on specs, even for one product from one company, that I wouldn't put too much faith in this. It could be the same product, but two different sellers are claiming different specs, because of miscommunication or one being more optimistic than the other. Also, as all of these products are dumb pass-through devices, the actual kW delivered depends on the car and the DC fast charger, not the adapter. Neither the car nor the adapter knows what sort of adapter you're using. If the car and fast charger negotiate too high a rate, then the adapter could be damaged -- one reason I intend to exercise caution about buying a third-party pass-through CCS1 adapter for my Tesla.

Concerning the TesPlus adapter referred to by @OahuJC, the photos show something that not only looks identical to Tesla's adapter; but the box looks identical to the box that Tesla's adapter comes in, right down to including Tesla logos. Thus, if those photos are legitimately of the product that TesPlus intends to ship, it looks like they're hoping to re-sell Tesla's adapter, much as Harumio did; but given that Tesla has turned off the tap, they may not be able to do so. OTOH, it could be that TesPlus is posting photos of Tesla's adapter but will be shipping something else. I've seen reports of an upcoming Chinese-made clone of that adapter that includes the same locking feature, so maybe that's what TesPlus intends to sell, and they just don't have photos of that product yet, so they're using photos of Tesla's adapter. In either case, I'd be highly suspicious of this product unless and until real people start to receive it.

• Helpful
Reactions: OahuJC and tps5352
anyone here order a CCS adapter from this site? TESLA OEM CCS1 Charging Adapter

curious if they actually sell an authentic Tesla adapter
They definitely picture the authentic one, packaging and all. Ala Moana address, I’m sure some one will check it out. The video isn’t the best but if this is a reseller as it appears, I wouldn’t expect a great video.
Hope they’re legit!

Reactions: theothertom
They definitely picture the authentic one, packaging and all. Ala Moana address, I’m sure some one will check it out. The video isn’t the best but if this is a reseller as it appears, I wouldn’t expect a great video.
Hope they’re legit!
In their shipping and delivery section, it talks about high-end jewelry which is unrelated to the CCS adapter. I emailed them and they said it’s the original OEM one from Tesla Korea.

Hope they’re legit!
Well if this had popped up around 3 weeks ago, I'd have been able to run over there and check one out, since I also have the official Tesla adapter and would know what one looks and feels like.

But what the heck. Their "contact us" page has an Ala Moana address, but the photo on that same page isn't even of anywhere near Ala Moana, or even anywhere on Oʻahu. It is an image of the Makena area on Maui, made very obvious by the view of the cinder cones and forest of the southwest rift zone of Haleakalā up the hill.

TeslaCCSAdapterContactUs.jpg

I had been under the impression that the A2Z adapter was Canadian in origin. I looked more closely, though, and the product page includes a Canadian address for the company and a logo that specifies "proudly designed in North America." The "designed in" language is something that companies sometimes use to obscure the fact that a product, although designed one place, is being manufactured elsewhere. Thus, your hypothesis makes sense to me, and I may have been taken in by the "designed in" language when I first saw that page.
I see what you say and I see some logic. But at the same time, being manufactured in China is not a bad thing, even Tesla’s official adapter is made in China or Taiwan. A2Z’s adapter been visible since beginning of July. They were speaking about development back then. I have seen and heard so much stories about Canadian and USA companies getting copied or cheated by suppliers in China. If they really designed it and brought an aftermarket option to the market, it’s a good thing for all of ya. If someone stole their design, copied their product or if simply their supplier cheated them, it’s another issue. I will keep supporting a North American company that’s for sure especially if they came on the market first. According to what I know, they are even working on a 250+ kW version and an adapter that does the reverse job : other ev’s to Tesla charger…