Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first post in that thread has been kept up-to-date, so you can read that and perhaps the last couple pages of the thread to get a good idea of what the upgrade entails. The thread has been closed because it was drifting too far into things that were being sold by thread participants.
The first post cannot be updated because they locked the thread, which they did w/o checking with the site admins and it seems the admins are too busy to have made the decision (I think it's personal stuff, ya know) hopefully the good stuff has been done by that thread, I certainly got my adapter when it was going.

Reactions: ph0ton
Much as I would like a CCS adapter since, on rare occasions, it would be convenient, I, personally don't blame Tesla for not "supporting" a charging 'network' which works as poorly as the various disjointed and unreliable CCS networks out there. Imagine how much money they'll have to pay to tow cars that get to a remote CCS, low on charge, and find the EA/Chargepoint/EVgo, etc station non-responsive. Nobody likes it when they ask for support and get pushed toward somebody else. The way it is today, nobody can claim Tesla has any responsibility for supporting CCS. in the US
Can only speak for myself when I say I don't expect Tesla to 'support' CCS charging in the sense that I expect them to help me troubleshoot a third-party charger, or front the cost of tow from a third-party charger.

I do, however, have disdain for them stopping North American Tesla owners from purchasing the CCS adapter from Tesla KR.

Looks like harumio is unable to get CCS1 adapters, even with a login:

1660319101290.png

At this point I think Tesla NA is just being unnecessarily annoying with the CCS adapter rollout. If the concern is that people buying might not have a Tesla that supports it, just do the same as Tesla Korea is - request that users enter their Tesla's VIN before attempting a purchase. That should solve it - I don't understand why Tesla NA is dragging its feet on this. I can't believe Telsa NA has supply problems - Korea didn't have them.

Is there something I'm missing?

Reactions: Dirtman16 and KJD
They did at first. They even limited initial purchases to Model 3 SRs, and it took a few months for them to open it up to allow anyone to place an order.

Ah I didn't know that, thanks for the info. But surely now there wouldn't be?

One thing I considered is that there could be a components shortage for it. On the flip side, my understanding is that it's more or less a dumb pass-through adapter without a microprocessor it should be easier to manufacture.

I don't understand why Tesla NA is dragging its feet on this. I can't believe Telsa NA has supply problems - Korea didn't have them.
Tesla has always had supply problems with its accessories. When Tesla was still selling the CHAdeMO adapter in North America, it would be marked as "out of stock" more often than not. When a shipment arrived, it would be snapped up quickly and become unavailable again. The same has been true of other items, too, like Mobile Connectors, wall plugs for the same, etc. These problems predate covid. I don't know if covid-related supply chain problems have exacerbated the issue.

I don't have any inside knowledge about why this is the case, but it's a fact.

There may be other reasons Tesla has been slow to release the CCS1 adapter in North America. For instance, they may be waiting until they can also offer a retrofit for older cars that are not currently CCS1-enabled. Based on reports of CCS1 compatibility and Tesla's own statements, we know that a critical chip needed for such upgrades is in short supply, so this upgrade product might be on hold for a while. It could also be that Tesla knows their supplier can only provide X number of adapters per month, and so they want to build up a stockpile so as to avoid supply problems when they do release the product. These ideas are both sheer speculation, of course.

For instance, they may be waiting until they can also offer a retrofit for older cars that are not currently CCS1-enabled.
I agree with the rest about Tesla always having had supply issues (although it's unclear to me why Korea doesn't have the same issues and were available for order) - but for the retrofit issue why not just require users to enter their VIN? I believe that's what Tesla Korea already does? That way there's no confusion whether or not your Tesla is CCS1-enabled.

"why not just require users to enter their VIN?" Possibly because it would say NO to a lot of people, and that lot of people would be pissed and would want a solution that works... especially since the CHAdeMO adapter cannot be bought either. I believe it mostly says YES to owners in Korea, they made sure to deliver cars with the chip there if I am not mistaken.

I saw a Model 3 charging while using what appeared to be this adapter at the Ohio State University for Automotive Research off of Kinnear Rd in Columbus, OH. I was a bit jealous that I didn’t pull the trigger on getting one from South Korea. Checking PlugShare it was a 62.5 kW Chargepoint station. They keep adding more of these types on my regular routes and no additional superchargers! It sure would be nice to have options.

I saw a Model 3 charging while using what appeared to be this adapter at the Ohio State University for Automotive Research off of Kinnear Rd in Columbus, OH. I was a bit jealous that I didn’t pull the trigger on getting one from South Korea. Checking PlugShare it was a 62.5 kW Chargepoint station. They keep adding more of these types on my regular routes and no additional superchargers! It sure would be nice to have options.
They should really be included with every new Tesla, like the J1772 adaptor. This is petty sh!t for cars of this price range. I’d say for most long distance travelers the CCS1 would be more valuable than the now oprional UMC. Optimally every Tesla would have both along with J plug and be able to charge anywhere in N. America.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I agree with the rest about Tesla always having had supply issues (although it's unclear to me why Korea doesn't have the same issues and were available for order) - but for the retrofit issue why not just require users to enter their VIN? I believe that's what Tesla Korea already does? That way there's no confusion whether or not your Tesla is CCS1-enabled.
You are not required to enter a VIN number when ordering the CCS adapter from the Korean Tesla online store. You are required to have a Tesla account to log into and order the adapter from it. Just the same, Tesla could check the VINs that are on the account and know whether the adapter would work or not.

Reactions: masotime

Yeah this is the main plus of the CCS adapter for me - it adds a lot more options. They may not be as fast as the superchargers, but it's better to have something than nothing.

Reactions: Tezla041 and KJD
They should really be included with every new Tesla, like the J1772 adaptor. This is petty sh!t for cars of this price range. I’d say for most long distance travelers the CCS1 would be more valuable than the now oprional UMC. Optimally every Tesla would have both along with J plug and be able to charge anywhere in N. America.

A while back I was wanting to borrow a CHAdeMO adapter for a road trip. Asked a few local friends of mine who were long-time Model S owners if they knew of one I could borrow, and they were all like "what is a CHAdeMO adapter"? Point being that for many Tesla owners, charging at home and occasionally via Superchargers is all they need.

Of course Serious Road Warriers recognize the need to have more options. That all new non-Chinese Teslas made over the past year or two generally have CCS enabled charge ports is a Good Thing. Since only a passive adapter is then needed, it sounds like the aftermarket is starting to step in.

I tested my Korean CCS adapter at a "350 kw" EVgo station yesterday. Was able to hit 168 kW (171 on charger screen) max with the car between about 14%-30% SoC. Probably didn't hit the full 190-ish kW others have reported due to insufficient pre-conditioning. Nonetheless, quite an improvement over the CHAdeMO adapter.

(although it's unclear to me why Korea doesn't have the same issues and were available for order)
Uh, what? They DO have the same supply issue. It is one company that has to decide what markets they can support and how well with their very limited supply. And I would think you would realize that the number of people and Tesla owners in the U.S. is vastly larger than in South Korea. If you only have 100 pieces of something, do you choose to support this tiny market over here, where you can fill all of the orders and have 100% customer satisfaction? Yeah, maybe. But it would make sense not to open it up to the market of 100,000 customers where your tiny 100 pieces only fills .1 % of the orders, and you have a giant line of angry people. You have just unnecessarily made people angry at you, where if you never announced it there yet, they wouldn't have known about it to have a chance to be dissatisfied. So yes, it makes sense to hold off on the really big market until they have some chance of enough supply for it to not be a disaster.

For instance, they may be waiting until they can also offer a retrofit for older cars that are not currently CCS1-enabled.
My speculation (emphasis: speculation) was that Tesla might not want to offer the adapter that exists now for any cars until they can offer a way to make it work for all Teslas (or at least all of them made after some date or easily adapted). This has nothing to do with checking with VINs about whether any given car would work with an adapter; it'd just be a matter of Tesla wanting to avoid complaints from those whose cars are currently not CCS-enabled. Once again, this is speculative. I don't even think it's all that likely an explanation, but it's a possible one. IMHO, an inability to get enough product out of their chosen supplier is the more likely explanation.

As to supply issues in Korea vs. North America, Korea is a much smaller market than North America. If Tesla can only get enough adapters made to supply the South Korean market, then they'd have no chance of meeting demand in North America. Somehow I doubt if Tesla is likely to make gobs of money on these adapters, so they probably aren't all that motivated to press for increased production of them. This may become less of an issue as third-party adapters become available; their availability will reduce the need for Tesla to supply them.

Reactions: Rocky_H
That won't help people that will be angry that they are left out and that Tesla didn't prepare for a launch for everyone (especially leaving out their earliest supporters). This was pointed out way earlier in the thread, where people are grabbing pitchforks already just because Tesla put out a teaser. If Tesla launched this and purposefully leave out a large group of people, that would be even worse, as way more people would know about the adapter (now only people who really "need" an adapter would go through the hoops, if it's officially launched everyone here would be competing also against those that want it as a nicety for stock).

Note Tesla launched the Model 3 in Korea after they added the CCS chip (which was added around mid 2019), so presumably all or almost all of the Model 3 in Korea supports it:
Tesla launches Model 3 in South Korea for as low as ~$26,000 with incentives
The VIN verification was mainly used to deter scalpers, I don't believe it was primarily designed as a compatibility screener.

The case is obviously very different in the US, where there are tons more cars in general and tons of cars without CCS support.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: masotime