Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait. What? When did that happen? I thought it was only available in Korea.

There were (are?) various ways of getting the Tesla CCS adapter, usually involving resellers. There are also some third-party versions. See for example this thread:

Bruce.

Good point. When I used my adapter I always had the nav set to go to a nearby SC in order to preheat the Tesla battery pack. Thus the higher kW numbers.

Rich
I have tried to preheat but I'm always too close the CCS and too far from any Supercharge for it to do much good.

I don't know what speeds to expect in the Model 3 RWD with the LFP battery
I have only tried a 50 Kwh and a 100 Kwh chargers
on the 50 I get about 35- 43 Kwh
on the 100 I get around 65 - 72 Kwh

Don't know if I can get higher but it is still better that 7.6 Kwh that I can get anywhere.

I've used my adapter a dozen or so times on a couple of trips. Speeds I found were around the 130s on 150kW chargers and over 180 on 350kW units.

Rich

Did you preheat the battery first?

We've tried out local EA 350 kW chargers multiple times. Two of them didn't work because the credit card reader was out of order. For the other two, only one is in service and we max out at 55 kW on it with our CCS adapter. We were able to get 150 kW on the 150 kW EA stalls.

We know the battery was sufficiently heated since we moved the car to the Superchargers a few feet away and instantly got 250 kW, so there's obviously a problem with the 350 kW stalls that we've repeatedly tried to use.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and DrGriz
..., so there's obviously a problem with the 350 kW stalls that we've repeatedly tried to use.

MorrisonHiker we have found the EA sites we have used all "hit and miss." Sometimes they work just great, other times, not so great (or not at all). The first EA sites were from a trip from AZ to Cape Cod done in June. Sorry for the bad formatting. In my book (where I make a chapter with each long distance trip I take) it looks just fine!

EA Site Start~End SoC Max kW Supplied

Saturday, 6/4/22

*Deming NM 19%~80% 184kW

Loves, Santa Rosa NM 17% 132kW

Loves, Tucumcari NM 57%~70% 151kW

Sunday, 6/5/22

Sam’s Club, Amarillo TX 29%~75% 140kW

*WSC, Weatherford, OK FAILED TO CHARGE

Monday, 6/6/22

*WSC, Terre Haute, IN 22%~79% 184kW

*WSC=Walmart Supercenter

As you can see the energy delivered was quite respectable on that trip. We had one total failure to charge.

On the trip back taken end of August (2,900 miles) we stopped at five (5) EA sites. No issues with any of them.

Rich

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Isn't the point of the CCS adapter to have it when there isn't a Supercharger near by? How would you precondition in that case?
I think the point is the adapter lets us dcfc with or without a Supercharger, (generic) dcfc in close proximity to superchargers will become more and more common and at that point it’s driver’s choice.
The question of how to precondition is a good one and no doubt Tesla could provide that if they care.
I have a theory about using Ludicrous+ to precondition the battery for dcfc, but haven’t tried or needed to yet.

Wait. What? When did that happen? I thought it was only available in Korea.
I got it via a Korean proxy shopping service known as Harumio. For a short time, they were somehow able to order the adapters and then resell them on their website for a very reasonable price. Those days are over. Tesla seems to have clamped-down on resellers. Meanwhile, there are now similar but different adapters available that are resold under different brand names. They seem to be working okay but lack a safety feature against accidental unplugging during charging that is only implemented so far by the real Tesla CCS adapter.

In order for any adapter to work, your car needs to have been built with a charging controller board that understands how to talk CCS protocol. Many cars built since late 2019 have this but some don’t due to supply chain hiccups. You can lookup on the center display if CCS is supported by your vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC
Sounds like the 350kw station you used was busted then. Normally on a 350kw EA station, when I arrive between 15% and 25% SoC, I can pull 190kw. If it's pulling < 100kw, at that SoC, it's usually a malfunctioning stall... (Which is quite common these days. On my last trip to the bay area, I skipped using EA altogether, becuase the normal EA stops I made previously, were mostly busted... Previous trips, I only encountered one busted stall per location, but the last trip, I encountered 2-3 busted stalls, which at a 4 stall location is quite bad.. A few of them, according to PlugShare, all 4 were malfunctioning (only outputing 35kw, etc).

I just charged for free at EA yesterday at a 150kw station, and pulled 137 kw.