Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least they heard us about WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE

Can't wait until someone gets it and compares it to the Korea unit, it claims the US model is 100kW more capable, but it's just a dumb pass thru so not sure how it could be rated higher. Do they expect people to not use the 350kW charger if its available?

Reactions: FalconFour
At least they heard us about WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE

Can't wait until someone gets it and compares it to the Korea unit, it claims the US model is 100kW more capable, but it's just a dumb pass thru so not sure how it could be rated higher. Do they expect people to not use the 350kW charger if its available?
Are we sure it's just a dumb pass-through though? These types of adapters typically have at least some basic electronics to communicate between the charging station and the car's BMS.

Are we sure it's just a dumb pass-through though? These types of adapters typically have at least some basic electronics to communicate between the charging station and the car's BMS.
Yes multiple individuals have verified this. There are thermal breakers that break the circuit if it gets too hot, but that's not software/microcontroller controlled.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
Is Chademo still being useful? I can’t find anyone near me that not comes together with CCS, a much faster option.
I charged at a Blink station at the Bowmansville Service Plaza in Pennsylvania about a year ago that had CHAdeMO but not CCS. That said, there were Superchargers installed there, but not yet active. I'm sure they're active now. Also, the PlugShare entry shows that they've been having reliability problems recently. Still, it shows that stations with CHAdeMO but not CCS do still exist, even if they're rare.

For the moment, though, CHAdeMO remains the better option for me personally, even though most CHAdeMO stations also offer CCS, because my 2019 Model 3 lacks CCS compatibility. I do own the Setec adapter, but it's flakier than Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, so the latter would be my go-to option if I needed non-Supercharger DC fast charging. That said, once Tesla offers the CCS-compatibility retrofit, I'll get it. (Or at least, I expect that I will. If they charge $1,000 for it, I might pass, or take the DIY approach; but Tesla doesn't usually overcharge for such things.)

I have made quite a bit of use of the CCS adapter since I got mine in May. Tesla is aware I have one. This is very useful to bridge relatively large gaps between superchargers where you have an EA station, for instance, that works well near the midway point. For a Cannonball Run, this makes the segments between Albuquerque and Gallup, and from Needles to Barstow, much easier.

Back in the early days (c. 2014) i also bought a chademo adapter as CCS didn’t exist yet. I think I used it twice in the 4 years i owned it. Hopefully this CCS adapter will see more usage!

Reactions: DrGriz