Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
My 21 MYP does not have CCS enabled and requires a retrofit. I've been checking on and off on the Tesla website for over a year now to see if the retrofit is available. They keep punting the retrofit availability date down the road until last month when they don't even bother saying when to check back for Model 3/Y retrofit availability. At this point my guess is that they will never make it available for the cars without CCS support.

I guess it's not a huge deal for me since I haven't come close to needing to use a CCS charger yet, but I kind of want it more for the 3rd party NACS stations in the future since my car won't be able to use those without CCS support even though those plugs are NACS. It would be pretty dumb to have a car with NACS inlet that can't use all NACS plugs.

Reactions: gsmith123
My 21 MYP does not have CCS enabled and requires a retrofit. I've been checking on and off on the Tesla website for over a year now to see if the retrofit is available. They keep punting the retrofit availability date down the road until last month when they don't even bother saying when to check back for Model 3/Y retrofit availability. At this point my guess is that they will never make it available for the cars without CCS support.

I guess it's not a huge deal for me since I haven't come close to needing to use a CCS charger yet, but I kind of want it more for the 3rd party NACS stations in the future since my car won't be able to use those without CCS support even though those plugs are NACS. It would be pretty dumb to have a car with NACS inlet that can't use all NACS plugs.
According to this: How to enable CCS1 adapter/NACS support on older Model 3/Ys now without waiting for Tesla

You should be able to buy the Gen4 ECU and install it yourself for only $140. (No retrofit harness or anything needed - the video is not for Model Y)

Retrofit A. Potential Savings: $280. If your EV is a North American (NA) Model 3 and made AFTER October 4, 2020 (built with black trim, heat pump and refreshed dash) or a NA Model Y, all you need to do is swap out the charge port controller (ECU) to the full-featured Gen4 ECU which is Tesla part number 1537264-00-B.
  1. Purchase 1537264-00-B from a Tesla Service Center for $140 + sales tax. This is not a restricted part so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to purchase it. You may need to be assertive.
  2. Remove your existing ECU and install the new one (see this video on how to swap out). Per the service manual, there is no need to disconnect any power (12V or main traction).
People usually purchase Tesla parts by putting in an "Other" service request in the app, requesting a part number, and the service center sends an invoice for pickup @ their facility. Not sure if this part has an embargo on it anymore, but it's worth a shot. Tons of people have done it with success.

According to this: How to enable CCS1 adapter/NACS support on older Model 3/Ys now without waiting for Tesla

You should be able to buy the Gen4 ECU and install it yourself for only $140. (No retrofit harness or anything needed - the video is not for Model Y)

Retrofit A. Potential Savings: $280. If your EV is a North American (NA) Model 3 and made AFTER October 4, 2020 (built with black trim, heat pump and refreshed dash) or a NA Model Y, all you need to do is swap out the charge port controller (ECU) to the full-featured Gen4 ECU which is Tesla part number 1537264-00-B.
  1. Purchase 1537264-00-B from a Tesla Service Center for $140 + sales tax. This is not a restricted part so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to purchase it. You may need to be assertive.
  2. Remove your existing ECU and install the new one (see this video on how to swap out). Per the service manual, there is no need to disconnect any power (12V or main traction).
People usually purchase Tesla parts by putting in an "Other" service request in the app, requesting a part number, and the service center sends an invoice for pickup @ their facility. Not sure if this part has an embargo on it anymore, but it's worth a shot. Tons of people have done it with success.
That might be interesting, and since my car is out of warranty, I guess I don't have that to worry about. One potential issue is the CCS adapter, since Tesla won't let me buy it as my car is not CCS enabled. I'd rather have the official adapter than a 3rd party one.

I believe Tesla will do it, or you can order the module yourself and swap it out.

If you go and order a CCS Adapter at the Tesla site, that should trigger the steps to get your car upgraded.
No, that's unfortunately not how this works at all. Tesla doesn't offer the retrofit for Model 3 and Y at all yet. They do for S and X. You can't buy the adapter directly from Tesla if you're car doesn't support it either (at least not easily by ordering through the online store).

One potential issue is the CCS adapter, since Tesla won't let me buy it as my car is not CCS enabled. I'd rather have the official adapter than a 3rd party one.

If you install the retrofit yourself the car configuration will update in Tesla's system and you can order the adapter itself (might take a few days for the update to go through). Alternatively, buy the Tesla adapter from someone on eBay.

Reactions: MP3Mike and gx9901
I added CCS support to my 2019 M3P myself. It wasn't very hard. The guide I used said to cut power to the whole car. I made the mistake of letting the
door close after doing that. The door handles are not physically connected to the door lock so you cannot open the doors with no power. (dumb design imo) Luckily I had the window cracked a bit and I was able to open the door with a coat hanger. It wasn't easy. I had the trunk open and was able to pull the seat release so I could fold down the seat. I've only used the CCS charger a few times. Never on a trip but it is good insurance.

When I login to Tesla.com and go to shop it says I need a retrofit, but they are only doing retrofits for Model S and X now. So, if they start doing the retrofits for MYs it will cost $450with the adapter. It seems unfair that I have to pay $200 for something that should have come with my car or $140 if I do it myself.

No, that's unfortunately not how this works at all. Tesla doesn't offer the retrofit for Model 3 and Y at all yet. They do for S and X. You can't buy the adapter directly from Tesla if you're car doesn't support it either (at least not easily by ordering through the online store).

If you install the retrofit yourself the car configuration will update in Tesla's system and you can order the adapter itself (might take a few days for the update to go through). Alternatively, buy the Tesla adapter from someone on eBay.

For the early Model 3, it isn't available.

For the Model Y it is. And what I mentioned was the steps that I took to get one. The OP was talking about the Model Y, hence why I didn't mention the Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
For the early Model 3, it isn't available.

For the Model Y it is. And what I mentioned was the steps that I took to get one. The OP was talking about the Model Y, hence why I didn't mention the Model 3.
I can't seem to find it in the app under Model Y accessories. I see the CCS1 Adapter on the Tesla Shop website but when I click on it I'm taken back to the app where nothing shows.

Picked up our MYLR August 2021 and it had the new HEPA filter but shows CCS "not installed" in additional info section. Wish I knew to check for this. I'd rather have CCS as a backup during travel than Bio-defense mode that I haven't used yet. Hopefully I can get CCS retrofitted for the Y.

I can't seem to find it in the app under Model Y accessories. I see the CCS1 Adapter on the Tesla Shop website but when I click on it I'm taken back to the app where nothing shows.

Picked up our MYLR August 2021 and it had the new HEPA filter but shows CCS "not installed" in additional info section. Wish I knew to check for this. I'd rather have CCS as a backup during travel than Bio-defense mode that I haven't used yet. Hopefully I can get CCS retrofitted for the Y.
I just assumed that it would show up in the app if it ever becomes available for retrofit. On the website, once I login, it doesn't allow me to buy the adapter and there is no option to do the retrofit. Since I'm already logged in on the app, I just assumed that it doesn't show any options for the adapter or retrofit since they haven't made it available for my car. At this point I'm not holding my breath that the retrofit will ever be offered for Model 3/Y, but it would be nice if it finally happens someday.

Try the website, make sure you logon.

1709045239928.png

There was a short period of time in mid-2021 where the MY did not have CCS capability due to supply shortages for the proper board.. I got my car in March of 2021 (built Feb 14 2021) and it is enabled. I want to say it was something like late June through mid-August if memory serves. Hopefully they can get more retrofits going soon. While certainly not necessary, it's definitely nice to have the adapter and the ability to charge anywhere.

Try the website, make sure you logon.

View attachment 1022524
Thanks but perhaps it recognizes that it's not compatible with our particular Model Y. I see the adapter listed on the Shop site, made sure I'm logged in, but clicking the adapter just opens up the Tesla app and lists every other available charging accessory except the CCS adapter.

I contacted Service team through the app to ask if CCS can be retrofitted and will report back once they respond.

Screenshot_20240227_071739_Samsung Internet.jpg