Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smart. The risk we early buyers take is that Tesla-North America will eventually offer the adapter for much less money. But that may not happen. Based on prior evidence, it can takes years for Tesla to lower the prices for charging accessories.

And there is the (in my mind very real) risk that when the adapter is finally offered on the Tesla-USA/Canada websites, it will be "Out of Stock" for long periods of time.
That is what finally won me over. I actually think it won't be too long before it is offered here. But then actually getting it may be an issue. I'm planning a fall trip to Denver and wanted something. A year ago I'd have a CHAdeMO. I'm pretty happy that SK opened up to us. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow.

Those of us active on the TMC forums are reasonably up-to-date with Tesla issues and news. However, is it possible that the average Tesla driver may not know much if anything about a North American CCS adapter--what it's used for, who makes it, et cetera? The majority of drivers charge at home and don't necessarily take long, out-of-town drives, I read. On the other hand, on average Tesla (and electric car, in general) owners might be expected to be more knowledgeable when it comes to technical and gadgetry stuff. It seems likely to me that at least one person in most Tesla households is up-to-speed on some of the more geeky issues.

As to an official release of the CCS1 adapter by Tesla in North America, yes we may or may not see a significant difference in price and/or features and specifications. It is conceivable that the relatively simple (straight passthrough?) design adapter could be, say, only $100-$150. Or completely re-designed. Who knows? As long as people keep ordering adapters from Korea, does Tesla even need to release it in North America? Certainly the pressue on Tesla must be lessened. No rush, now; right?

Since your average Tesla driver doesn't even know that V2 Superchargers share cabinets and if there are 12 spots, don't park next to the only other car that is charging... I doubt they know what CCS is other than to think it is inferior and beneath their notice.

Keith

PS: When has Tesla ever perceived pressure, let alone got in a rush to do anything?

PPS: Answer to my own question: When NHTSA began investigating PB problems in vision only cars, Tesla solved the issue over night.

Reactions: DrGriz
Since your average Tesla driver doesn't even know that V2 Superchargers share cabinets and if there are 12 spots, don't park next to the only other car that is charging... I doubt they know what CCS is other than to think it is inferior and beneath their notice.

Keith

PS: When has Tesla ever perceived pressure, let alone got in a rush to do anything?

PPS: Answer to my own question: When NHTSA began investigating PB problems in vision only cars, Tesla solved the issue over night.
PB? Phantom Braking? That is still a large problem.

Yes, I am aware of this. Not sure it has anything to do with them not releasing the CCS adapter. I would bet anything that it is delaying all sorts of deliveries, however it seems to be somewhat random.

Huh, my MYLR had a VIN assigned on May 20, and have had the 4 day window pushed once, and then the May. Wondering if this is a factor or if it is more getting a full truck to Idaho.
Got a text and email to schedule my appointment so I guess mine is coming! Hopefully by toward end of week for appointment, the guy on the phone said. Will find out tomorrow when Boise is open.

Reactions: DrGriz
At the moment they are not letting new people into FSD beta anyway. And yes, it is running way behind in updates. Plain old Autopilot is better in many respects.
I wonder how it would be out where we live and drive. A little bit curious, and I may pay for a month some time when I have a bunch of road tripping. But right now, it kinda scares me based on what I have seen on YouTube. And I just do not trust the machine when I am on Highway 20 doing like 80 on that long straight past Fairfield, with undivided two lanes and multi trailer combo semis headed the other direction. And/or how the mountain pass roads past Stanley and up to Salmon, or over Lost Trail would be.

I wonder how it would be out where we live and drive. A little bit curious, and I may pay for a month some time when I have a bunch of road tripping. But right now, it kinda scares me based on what I have seen on YouTube. And I just do not trust the machine when I am on Highway 20 doing like 80 on that long straight past Fairfield, with undivided two lanes and multi trailer combo semis headed the other direction. And/or how the mountain pass roads past Stanley and up to Salmon, or over Lost Trail would be.
OT, but to respond to your question: There is FSD and FSD beta. Plain old FSD that you would rent for a month is way, way behind FSD beta, which you had to be allowed into and which has no new members for many months now. FSD adds little to autopilot (Summon and Auto Lane Change) and certainly wouldn't help those of us who mostly drive on dual lane highways or neighborhoods. FSD beta (which isn't available to us right now) adds FSD on City Streets which is close to being excellent, and once its features go to regular FSD I would look at it. Not really that helpful for us but probably fun.

OT, but to respond to your question: There is FSD and FSD beta. Plain old FSD that you would rent for a month is way, way behind FSD beta, which you had to be allowed into and which has no new members for many months now. FSD adds little to autopilot (Summon and Auto Lane Change) and certainly wouldn't help those of us who mostly drive on dual lane highways or neighborhoods. FSD beta (which isn't available to us right now) adds FSD on City Streets which is close to being excellent, and once its features go to regular FSD I would look at it. Not really that helpful for us but probably fun.
Yeah, I am kinda bad about digressing at times. Thanks. Good points to remember about what FSD is, and what Autopilot already does.

More on my CCS-1 saga. Ordered from Harumio on May 20. Got an email on May 27 promising delivery by June 1. Then a text message from DHL moving setting the delivery date to June 2. So, of course, it came today (May 30). Can't complain about that.

My Tesla is a Model Y Long Range, delivered June, 2021 and has 20,000 miles on it.

The adapted has a nice solid feel. The prong sticking out at the top is metal. I was afraid that it would be plastic and easily break off. As for the manual, we don't need no stink'n manual. (At least there wasn't one provided in the box.)

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

Since I was going to hit the bike trails, I decided to try it out at an Electrify America station. (Yes, the bike is electric also). Since the car was at SoC of 43%, I picked the 150kw charging station. The adapter snapped on to the EA plug cleanly, with no jiggling or extra force needed. It then plugged into my MYLR. I thought it should push in further, but everything was working, so I guess I was wrong. And, of course, plug the adapter into the cord first, then plug it all into the Tesla.

IMG_1351.jpeg
IMG_1357.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg

Since the car was at SoC of 43%, I wasn't expecting a high current. And sure enough, it started at 112kW. For some reason around 60% is slowed down to 30kW, before going back to 67kW around 70%. Not sure what that was all about (unless it was temperature related - about 91 degrees out).

IMG_1352.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg

The the curious, with the bike rack attached, I turned on trailer mode while backing up because I didn't want to hear the car complain. (We really need a "bike rack" mode).

Anyway, the location was a Sheetz, which meant I was able to eat a Lebanon Bologna sandwich while waiting (its kind of an Ohio/Pennsylvania thing).

IMG_1354.jpeg

Summing up, the ordering and delivery process from Harumio was perfect. The adapter seems to work well. I had no problems with either the adapter or the EA charging station. And the Lebanon Bologna sandwich was great.

Now that I can be a bit more brave, on my next trip I'll try a 350kW charger when the car is more like 10% and see how well it does.

I’ve tuned this thread out for a while since I got my CCS adapter more than a month ago. Today while making the 375 mile drive back from our cabin I started charging at a super charger, but people were getting backed up (I used up the last of my referral miles today). I decided to leave the super charger after buying $.56 worth of power and head across the street to an Electrify America 350kW charger. I saw up to 189 kW speeds.

I’m curious if a generalization can be made for which network is cheaper. It seemed clear that the Electrify America stations were less in demand. I talked to a guy with a Mercedes S Class when I started, and a guy having issues getting his VW ID.4 to charge when I returned to get me car.

I paid $.285 /kWh at Electrify America, which is about a 10 cent premium over my cost for electricity at home - I thought this was a pretty good deal.