Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you guys are saying -00-A as in 1652005-00-A for (17-20 owners that are pre-busbar) which includes the ccs adapter and 1537264-09-B board. To not confuse others looking to DIY the swap without the CCS adapter.
Installation - Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla
Thanks for the installation link.

I had a very nice tech and watched him enable CCS on the software. In Service Mode the retrofit CCS button on the high voltage section actually disappeared. He was surprised it no longer showed up. He had to plug in and fire up Toolbox as described in your link and change the car configuration.

After changing the charge port type he reinstalled the firmware via service mode. Based on this I’m not sure you can install the retrofit without Toolbox.

The Service tab of my Tesla App now indicates that the CCS retrofit is available to order. I have been waiting for this for a while, but now am wondering if it is worthwhile. In almost 4 years of Tesla ownership, including numerous road trips, all my needs have been easily met by Level 2 charging at home, use of Tesla Superchargers on the route and occasional Level 2 destination charging. And Tesla Supercharging continues to expand. It would be nice if it would expand even faster, but overall I have been very satisfied. I realize that there are still some routes which cannot be easily accessed, or maybe not accessed at all, by a Tesla without CCS, but I am not sure that those are routes that I will ever take. And even if I had CCS charging, I am not sure that I would ever want to rely on it given the poor state of many CCS networks.

I will probably order the retrofit anyway, but I do have some misgivings about whether I am spending my money on something that I actually need.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and APotatoGod
I will probably order the retrofit anyway, but I do have some misgivings about whether I am spending my money on something that I actually need.

I am virtually positive I am spending money on something I am unlikely to need (lol) however under the "more charging options is always better than fewer" approach, I am doing it (getting the retrofit) for my 2018 model 3P anyway.

I have had this car 5 years, and usually by this time I am itching to get something new / tired of my current ride. I still really like this car, even though the road noise is more than I would like.

Its turned out to be exactly what I envisioned it to be when I purchased it in 2018, which is a reliable way for me to commute to work without a lot of drama, fairly fun to zip around in, and a car that actually got new features after I bought it vs being told to "lease the new one". Mine is paid off, and I see myself keeping it for a while longer. Having more options = good, even if I probably wont need it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, as it relates to charging options, for me anyway.

The Service tab of my Tesla App now indicates that CCS retrofit is available to order. I have been waiting for this for a while, but now am wondering if it is worthwhile. In almost 4 years of Tesla ownership, including numerous road trips, all my needs have been easily met by Level 2 charging at home, use of Tesla Superchargers on the route and occasional Level 2 destination charging. And Tesla Supercharging continues to expand. It would be nice if it would expand even faster, but overall I have been very satisfied. I realize that there are still some routes which cannot be easily accessed, or maybe not accessed at all, by a Tesla without CCS, but I am not sure that those are routes that I will ever take. And even if I had CCS charging, I am not sure that I would ever want to rely on it given the poor state of many CCS networks.

The way I see it, the actual CCS support is a nice bonus that I'm unlikely to use often if at all. The main benefit is support for NACS chargers from sources aside from Tesla, which will start becoming a lot more common in the next several years now that everyone's committed to standardizing on them.

Of course, it remains to be seen if/when that will be rolled out to an extent competing with superchargers, or continuing the slow adoption trend of existing CCS installs, but I'm trying to be optimistic about it.

I am virtually positive I am spending money on something I am unlikely to need (lol) however under the "more charging options is always better than fewer" approach, I am doing it (getting the retrofit) for my 2018 model 3P anyway.

I have had this car 5 years, and usually by this time I am itching to get something new / tired of my current ride. I still really like this car, even though the road noise is more than I would like.

Its turned out to be exactly what I envisioned it to be when I purchased it in 2018, which is a reliable way for me to commute to work without a lot of drama, fairly fun to zip around in, and a car that actually got new features after I bought it vs being told to "lease the new one". Mine is paid off, and I see myself keeping it for a while longer. Having more options = good, even if I probably wont need it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, as it relates to charging options, for me anyway.
I'm also unlikely to use it but I also just did the upgrade on my 2018 3. We road trip in the Y these days. The primary value for me is insurance.

Before CCS compatibility was an option, we had a CHAdeMO adapter. We never *needed* it for the road trips we took but it was nice to have a backup. It was convenient for one of the stops because a compatible charger was nearby.

The other thing that J3400 (NACS) is coming. While the plug is the Tesla one, the underlying protocol is CCS so it will have more compatibility. I expect to pass this car on to someone in the family at some point and this just simplifies the future. No need to explain those charging stations are not compatible.

The way I see it, the actual CCS support is a nice bonus that I'm unlikely to use often if at all. The main benefit is support for NACS chargers from sources aside from Tesla, which will start becoming a lot more common in the next several years now that everyone's committed to standardizing on them.

Of course, it remains to be seen if/when that will be rolled out to an extent competing with superchargers, or continuing the slow adoption trend of existing CCS installs, but I'm trying to be optimistic about it.

This is my main driver too, to be honest, and you captured my feelings exactly, here.

• Love
Reactions: APotatoGod
The Service tab of my Tesla App now indicates that the CCS retrofit is available to order. I have been waiting for this for a while, but now am wondering if it is worthwhile. In almost 4 years of Tesla ownership, including numerous road trips, all my needs have been easily met by Level 2 charging at home, use of Tesla Superchargers on the route and occasional Level 2 destination charging. And Tesla Supercharging continues to expand. It would be nice if it would expand even faster, but overall I have been very satisfied. I realize that there are still some routes which cannot be easily accessed, or maybe not accessed at all, by a Tesla without CCS, but I am not sure that those are routes that I will ever take. And even if I had CCS charging, I am not sure that I would ever want to rely on it given the poor state of many CCS networks.

Maybe think of it this way? One pays $350 for the CCS to Tesla adaptor AND the upgrade for the current car.. that adaptor is ~ $250? So it’s really only $100 for the vehicle upgrade..but one can KEEP the adaptor going forward and use it with any OTHER Tesla that one may own, rent, etc.. I know that many DCFC is moving to NACS but it isn’t going to happen overnight or even within 2-3 years overall. I don’t think it will, everywhere. So the adaptor is nice to have for those locations where DCFC might be cheaper, closer - like to a hotel or destination.

So for me, I’ll do it now that it appears to be really just $350 for the 2018/19 M3 owners who weren’t confirmed at birth. And IF I keep a Tesla in the stable in the future I’ll have that adaptor for use as needed or wanted.

The recent winter freeze in Chicago made my 100% want it. All the superchargers broke and had super long waits

The recent winter freeze in Chicago made my 100% want it. All the superchargers broke and had super long waits
I don't believe the superchargers broke. The main issue was people attempting to charge cold soaked batteries in a deep freeze. It can take the better part of an hour just to warm up a battery enough to take a charge in those conditions.

Still good idea to get the CCS retrofit (I did), and would have helped with the charger lines in that situation.

I don't believe the superchargers broke. The main issue was people attempting to charge cold soaked batteries in a deep freeze. It can take the better part of an hour just to warm up a battery enough to take a charge in those conditions.

Still good idea to get the CCS retrofit (I did), and would have helped with the charger lines in that situation.
I took a road trip during the deep freeze. Many chargers would not work but charger right next to them would.

I have been an owner for 2 years now and it’s the first time I have seen anything like it.

Can confirm with 2023.44.30.14 the CCS retro button is under the high voltage screen, enabled CCS retrofit and got charging error alerts, software reset and CCS is now enabled with no error alerts. Followed the manual and didn’t unplug the batteries, took 5min.
Glad to know the -09 and install worked. Now I guess the hard part is find that in stock somewhere if u have the adapter already.