Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 was the first CCS retrofit successfully completed at the newer Golden Valley, MN service center. Cost $479 plus taxes, which included a new CCS dongle/adapter and new charge port ECU board. Price also included their standard shop labor rate, took them about 1.5 hours with other minor service performed.

Tesla techs reinstalled the same car software version. I didn't already have the CCS adapter. I still need to test charging on a CCS DCFC.

I've successfully used the CHAdeMO adapter for many years, mostly in rural or remote locations. Outstate Minnesota still has some Supercharger gaps to be filled in.

Just got my estimate and it includes a weird $117 charge to "Inspect Vehicle; Vehicle Already Configured For CCS Charging". Guessing this is just a mistake and they'll remove it, will update here once I confirm

Updated with the $117 charge removed. Guess it was just a mistake.

My vehicle is a 2018 Model 3 btw. So this would have been a "bundle of wires" vehicle.

1710279436080.png

I got bored and decided to take a look at the part number for the 2019 tesla model 3 ccs upgrade (that came in the adapter and board upgrade kit). The part number for the new board is 1537264-09-B Rev01. I could not find much about that board online, but I see that someone is already selling it on ebay. So if you already have a CCS adapter, this route MIGHT (i have no idea...dont trust me) be a way to do the install relatively cheaply/easily yourself.
I’ll let anyone know next week when it arrives… I picked up a brand new 1537264-09-B Rev01 off eBay for $100 shipped.

Reactions: tpm1999
According to Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach, and the following message, one of those parts appears to be a replacement for the charge port, needed for CCS compatibility for charge ports on Model 3's built before Aug 2020. Labor may be for replacement of charge port but they should not charge labor for install of the standard retrofit ECU as install is included in the $350 price.
Based on new information posted, I believe the two kits both include the CCS adaptor and ECU, and one of them also includes a replacement charge port for older Model 3s. They both cost $350, and you only need one, depending on vehicle manufacturing date. Install labor is included in the price per the store website, so the only extra cost should be sales tax.

i can’t remember, for DIY board install do I need to be on Teslas service centers WiFi to push the update in service mode?

The Tesla manual doesn’t even tell you to power down the 12v or main battery while doing this retrofit, crazy.
After doing the update, you will see some scary error notices. But, they go away after the reinstall. I also did a MCU reboot after the reinstall.

Got the official CCS1 charging retrofit installed on my 2018 LR RWD in my driveway today and I'm happy to report that ALL charging sources are working:
  • Supercharger - tested at my usual Urban Supercharger for about 4 minutes, getting 3kWh. Site was almost full and I didn't want to take up too much time there.
  • CHAdeMO adapter at ChargePoint - works like it did before, today up to 49kW
  • CCS1 adapter at ChargePoint - got a reported 47kW, slightly less than the CHAdeMO setup even though I charged first using CCS (lower SoC on my battery) and used the same ChargePoint DCFC. edit: Now that I think of it, the battery probably got warmer from the CCS and Supercharger, before I used the CHAdeMO, thus getting a slightly higher power.
  • Level 2 at ChargePoint using J1772 adapter - haven't L2 charged since probably the time I plugged in at Yosemite NP several years back
ECU installed was the -09-B Rev01 version that's been reported here earlier. Brand new CCS1 adapter included in the $350 (plus tax) package. Pleased to get this done and in my mind, well worth the cost to be able to DC charge anywhere.

Install took a bit more time than anticipated; tech arrived at 10:10, left at 11:35. He said that this was his first Model 3 retrofit (he'd done one on a Model S before). He disconnected the HV penthouse under the rear seat and also the 12V battery before swapping the charge port ECU. Upon reboot he found some errors, the major one being that the DAP (Driver Assistance Package?) refused to re-initialize. He eventually got that solved and left while the software update took place - now on 2023.44.30.14. Tested FSD while out on my charging adventure and everything felt okay (city streets only, no highway yet). Car tracked curves in the road and slowed down appropriately.

In all likelihood I'll probably be CCS charging from now on, at least until the subsidized ChargePoint DCFCs go away. Got 4.5 years out of my CHAdeMO adapter although I don't know if I recouped the $500 cost when compared to what it would have been if I'd been using Supercharging in that time.

Last edited:
To follow up, I resubmitted my service request and it was completed this morning. 2018 LR RWD, -00-A part, $350+tax. The service took about 1/2 hour end to end.
you guys are saying -00-A as in 1652005-00-A for (17-20 owners that are pre-busbar) which includes the ccs adapter and 1537264-09-B board. To not confuse others looking to DIY the swap without the CCS adapter.
Installation - Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: tpm1999