Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console for back seat of 6 seater Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned these velcro(?)-bottom buckets for … wow, several cars now. Costco used to sell them in three-packs. They came with me to the Model X, and boy, did I luck out: they fit perfectly in both the trunk, behind the third-row seats (or with the platform on its' lower setting), and between the middle-row seats.

1d3rp+

xPb5+

P.S. Please ignore my dog-hair-splattered mess of an interior! ;)

They're water-tight, great for kids' stuff / easy to clean; and they stack, so there's no reason not to take along three or four of them. I generally keep my Extra Car Stuff (not tools, which go in my tool-bag underneath the floorboard, nor essentials, which go in the glove-box) in one of them, and stack the extras underneath it … then I unstack them whenever I'm getting groceries or similar.

It's just a leather/vinyl covered box with some cupholders in it. It's not really that hard to do.
Why did it take over a year for Tesla to make?
Because they had to design that leather-covered box from scratch. Probably had to pass certain safety requirements too. The attachment to the floor is probably the most challenging part. I wonder if my 6-seater mats would have to be cut to work with this console...makes me want to avoid getting it.

Because they had to design that leather-covered box from scratch. Probably had to pass certain safety requirements too. The attachment to the floor is probably the most challenging part. I wonder if my 6-seater mats would have to be cut to work with this console...makes me want to avoid getting it.

How can you get it?? Only for new orders

There are already mounting attachments for the middle seat so mounting it is no problem.

How can you get it?? Only for new orders
I can't see why they wouldn't/couldn't offer it as a retrofit in 3-6 months. I could be wrong, but I'm expecting it to be handled like the tow package. I suspect that (at least for the early models) the original middle seat attachment is still there and covered by carpet. It could be how they attach the console.

If so, then the software could be reprogrammed to adjust the console position, perhaps based on the position of the seats in the 2nd row. Maybe the cup-holder could have a "martini" mode where it shakes (not stirs) your drink.

But who knows with Tesla, they sometimes surprise us in both good and bad ways.

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
I can't see why they wouldn't/couldn't offer it as a retrofit in 3-6 months. I could be wrong, but I'm expecting it to be handled like the tow package. I suspect that (at least for the early models) the original middle seat attachment is still there and covered by carpet. It could be how they attach the console.

If so, then the software could be reprogrammed to adjust the console position, perhaps based on the position of the seats in the 2nd row. Maybe the cup-holder could have a "martini" mode where it shakes (not stirs) your drink.

But who knows with Tesla, they sometimes surprise us in both good and bad ways.
The "shaken not stirred" mode will only be activated when you use the Bond easter egg! Haha!

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
I'm not sure it even took Tesla over a year to make, they had one very similar at the 2015 unveil. It just took them awhile to decide to manufacture it... and perhaps finalize it, as it seems they have decided to re-use the front cup-holder trim part instead of making a customer-shaped one for the rear console that the 2015 version had.

You can see it upclose and opened at 0:55:

Video: 6-Seat Tesla Model X - Video

screen-shot-2015-10-04-at-6-24-05-am.png